Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 04:19 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

They put themselves at risk for nothing. Then, they'll be on the news with a GoFundMe to cover their medical bills .

Nothing in my car nor wallet is worth chasing after it.
I'd say the reactions of these ladies, although arguably not the most prudent, were well within reason. If somebody snatches my wallet right in front of me it's just human nature to say, "Hey, what do you think you're doing?!"

And why do you say they can't pay their medical bills (if they even have any)?

While I'm not going to put my life at risk over nothing, I don't think that's the situation here. The first woman quickly got her wallet back. In the second case, the thief ran like a scalded dog the instant he realized it wasn't a zero-risk rip-off. Both of these ladies get a few points for spunkiness in my book.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:59 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd say the reactions of these ladies, although arguably not the most prudent, were well within reason. If somebody snatches my wallet right in front of me it's just human nature to say, "Hey, what do you think you're doing?!"

And why do you say they can't pay their medical bills (if they even have any)?

While I'm not going to put my life at risk over nothing, I don't think that's the situation here. The first woman quickly got her wallet back. In the second case, the thief ran like a scalded dog the instant he realized it wasn't a zero-risk rip-off. Both of these ladies get a few points for spunkiness in my book.
Exactly!

The attitude of just 'surrender to it' isn't acceptable.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:06 AM

343 posts, read 352,731 times
Quote:

They put themselves at risk for nothing. Then, they'll be on the news with a GoFundMe to cover their medical bills .

Nothing in my car nor wallet is worth chasing after it.
If I ever decided to become a thief, I now know who I can just casually walk up to and take everything from.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:14 AM

343 posts, read 352,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Someone explain why people are willing to get themselves hurt or killed to protect something that is insured...?

If someone steals my car, fine. I'll call my insurance company and have a new one within a few days. Not risking my life for a hunk of metal.
For many people that hunk of metal is a minute by minute lifeline to the rest of their lives.

For some people a couple of days of waiting means a couple of days out of work. Maybe they have no sick time because it is a part time job or they have a vindictive boss. Now maybe they lose that job.

They can no longer pay their bills or their rent.

Whether or not they made bad decisions in their life to put themselves in that spot is not the debate point I am trying to make. They are simply in that economic spot, here and now.

For those people, risking death for a hunk of metal is well worth it to keep their barely stable life intact.

Its the same thought process for people who run from misdemeanor arrests. To the police its just a misdemeanor, no big deal. Why are you running and risking your life?

To that person, that arrest will completely destroy what little they have going for them.

Its a sad truth in this country that some small things are well worth risking life over. They would rather be dead than be returned to square one yet again.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:37 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
If I ever decided to become a thief, I now know who I can just casually walk up to and take everything from.

Pocket full of valueless cards but have at it....

With every one of the victory against the thief's, we end with a case like the young man killed outside the Capital City Country Club.

I'm sure, I bet his wife (and daughter in the future) wishes, he just let the wallet/license so he could come back home to them instead of being 6 feet under but what do I know...good 'ol pluck was suppose to save him... .

Old 07-05-2019, 08:46 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:

Pocket full of valueless cards but have at it....

With every one of the victory against the thief's, we end with a case like the young man killed outside the Capital City Country Club.

I'm sure, I bet his wife (and daughter in the future) wishes, he just let the wallet/license so he could come back home to them instead of being 6 feet under but what do I know...good 'ol pluck was suppose to save him... .
This is a poor example, as he was going to be murdered by the assailant no matter how he reacted to that mad dog. As for me, I'll just pretend to pull out my wallet as I reach for my itty bitty gun and focus on that spot right between his eyes.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:59 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
This is a poor example, as he was going to be murdered by the assailant no matter how he reacted to that mad dog. As for me, I'll just pretend to pull out my wallet as I reach for my itty bitty gun and focus on that spot right between his eyes.
Have you ever actually killed someone? I imagine it's a lot harder than it seems. For me, I'd rather hand over my wallet and sleep soundly at night then end someone's life. Within 10 minutes every card in my wallet will he cancelled (and they all have fraud protection anyway) and I don't carry cash. Not worth murdering someone over.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:21 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Have you ever actually killed someone? I imagine it's a lot harder than it seems. For me, I'd rather hand over my wallet and sleep soundly at night then end someone's life. Within 10 minutes every card in my wallet will he cancelled (and they all have fraud protection anyway) and I don't carry cash. Not worth murdering someone over.
I have not, as the opportunity has not yet presented itself. But if someone does choose to violate my civil rights in future, I shall be ready.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:04 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Possible but when the case happened, I remember them stating that he went back after the assailants for his wallet/license presumably since he had to fly back to DC.

Easier for you as a woman but agree. One of the main reason, I have my CWP.

Quote:
Depends on the situation and how aggressive they are. Either way, I'm trying to make home to my family as well for either situation so if I have to shot them so be it.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:26 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
For many people that hunk of metal is a minute by minute lifeline to the rest of their lives.

For some people a couple of days of waiting means a couple of days out of work. Maybe they have no sick time because it is a part time job or they have a vindictive boss. Now maybe they lose that job.

They can no longer pay their bills or their rent.

Whether or not they made bad decisions in their life to put themselves in that spot is not the debate point I am trying to make. They are simply in that economic spot, here and now.

For those people, risking death for a hunk of metal is well worth it to keep their barely stable life intact.

Its the same thought process for people who run from misdemeanor arrests. To the police its just a misdemeanor, no big deal. Why are you running and risking your life?

To that person, that arrest will completely destroy what little they have going for them.

Its a sad truth in this country that some small things are well worth risking life over. They would rather be dead than be returned to square one yet again.
So murdering someone over that "hunk of metal" is a better choice? This is a lot of hysteria to gain acceptance for killing people over simple theft.

Quote:
Let me make sure I have this clear, because I hear this a lot. Criminal with gun pointed at you demands your wallet. You go to pull it out, but instead pull out your gun. Somehow, you are able to get that gun out, focus it on the right spot, and kill him before he can react with the gun he already has out? Did I get that all correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta