Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:26 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,070,033 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to GA in June and looking around in May. What cities (what are the names of the cities in East Cobb) and or areas should I be looking at in East Cobb?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 10:29 AM

Also could anyone provide links to East Cobb? And, what is the difference between East Cobb and Marietta? What are the differences from Cobb county and Gwinett County, & Alpharetta & Roswell.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
I'll be moving to GA in June and looking around in May. What cities (what are the names of the cities in East Cobb) and or areas should I be looking at in East Cobb?

Thanks
East Cobb is mostly unincorporated, however the post office doesn't do "unincorporated" addresses. Consequently, the street addresses all claim Marietta or Roswell. Marietta is a city in the central part of Cobb County. Roswell is actually a city in Fulton County, which borders Cobb on the east side.

I reside in the "Roswell" portion of East Cobb, an address which sometimes causes annoying confusion. However, as the realty advertisements in our area tend to say, "Roswell prestige with low Cobb taxes".

Old 04-21-2008, 10:39 AM

Rainyrainyday, so what do you recommend in terms of finding an area in East Cobb? I'll mostly be doing a lot of research online first. Any info would be great. When I looked on the map it really didn't identify specific areas of East Cobb.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 11:37 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
There's quite a lot of housing in East Cobb for less than 270K, and I live in such a house but Neil doubtless wouldn't. The East Cobb schools are best-in-state, the West Cobb schools range from fine to not-so-fine. It all depends on your priorities and preferences. If most people thought West Cobb was nicer than East Cobb, the housing prices in West Cobb would likely be higher.
East Cobb is a smaller and more uniform area, so you don't see as much variation in housing costs. Pure homogeneous suburbia, which is fine if you're into that sort of thing. Me, not so much.

"West Cobb" is a much larger area (it includes everything south and west of 75, which is 2/3 of Cobb County) and it includes several incorporated cities (Smyrna, Marietta, Kennesaw, Austell, etc.) as well as several unincorporated areas, so you tend to see more diversity when it comes to housing prices and the general "feel" of different areas. Some areas are quite wealthy, while others are not.

Lumping all of West Cobb into one group is about as meaningful as lumping the Atlanta metro into one group, in my opinion. There are too many unique regious. Vinings is quite different from Acworth, for example, and neither resembles Austell.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Rcsteiner so what are the best areas in Cobb (West Cobb)? I'm considering Cobb County for the schools and what I am hearing from my friends Cobb County seems to be very good (I'm also looking into Alpharetta & Roswell). I have two small children & am moving from N. California.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
Quote:

Thanks
bayarea-girl,

gerrynyc started the original thread. It's always best to allow posters to answer the concerns/questions of the original post as opposed to adding new relcation questions to that one. You'll get a lot more replies if you start your own thread in the room - that way all posters can focus their attention just on your question and the thread doesn't get disorganized.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:40 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,549 times
This is my second time throwing Rcsteiner out there, but PM him about Mableton, an unincorporated community in South Cobb. Mableton is booming and you can still get great deals on a house. Property values are also rising there as more affluent households are creeping in from neighboring Vinings. The best part about Mableton is that you can commute to Dowtown Atlanta in a reasonable time--on surface streets if you wish. Also if you work in the Cumberland/Galleria area, your commute would be great.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Atlantagreg30127, didn't mean to take over the post. I thought because my interest were similar to gerrynyc that I could ask additional questions.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 01:13 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
Quote:
Atlantagreg30127, didn't mean to take over the post. I thought because my interest were similar to gerrynyc that I could ask additional questions.

Thanks
No problem for most. Some consider it rude (kind of like stepping in front of someone in line at the store), but really it's just in the best interest of the poster to do it. That way attention for the original post stays there and the new post gets more attention (and replies) as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta