Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:18 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times

Advertisements

Ok, ok, ok, I hear you (I'm a bit new to posting online).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 01:53 PM

304 posts, read 856,614 times
what other counties has great schools and is not too far from highways?
thanks for all the previous replies.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Rcsteiner so what are the best areas in Cobb (West Cobb)? I'm considering Cobb County for the schools and what I am hearing from my friends Cobb County seems to be very good (I'm also looking into Alpharetta & Roswell). I have two small children & am moving from N. California.
I know it sounds like a copout, but it depends on what precisesly you are looking for. I'm not very familiar with the schools (married, kitties but no kids), and the housing options in West Cobb will range from less than $100k for smaller and older houses to well over a million for larger ones in somewhat better locations, with all sorts of townhome options available on both the high and low ends as well as single-family houses, etc.

Where will you be working? How flexible is your schedule? Do you mind a longer commute, or does it have to be shorter? Do you want to be within walking distance of stores and restaurants? How much land are you looking for? Does it matter? Do you want a basement? A garage? Do you mind living on a busy street? Do you want a Homeowners Association?

Many questions.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:35 PM

304 posts, read 856,614 times
I will most likely work for a wellstar hospital 7am-7pm, i need a single family home, with or without basement, not too close to neighbors, quiet area ...diverse in culture ..10-15 minute drive to shops. My husband will most likely work in the city.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:57 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Default East Cobb, West Cobb, North Cobb, South Cobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
East Cobb is a smaller and more uniform area, so you don't see as much variation in housing costs. Pure homogeneous suburbia, which is fine if you're into that sort of thing. Me, not so much.

"West Cobb" is a much larger area (it includes everything south and west of 75, which is 2/3 of Cobb County) and it includes several incorporated cities (Smyrna, Marietta, Kennesaw, Austell, etc.) as well as several unincorporated areas, so you tend to see more diversity when it comes to housing prices and the general "feel" of different areas. Some areas are quite wealthy, while others are not.

Lumping all of West Cobb into one group is about as meaningful as lumping the Atlanta metro into one group, in my opinion. There are too many unique regious. Vinings is quite different from Acworth, for example, and neither resembles Austell.
No.

"East Cobb" is roughly the area of Cobb County that is east and north-east of I-75 and I-575; and north of I-285

When one says "West Cobb," that is the area of Cobb County south of Highway 41, north of Powder Springs Road and west of the Marietta city limits. This area is largely unincorporated except for parts of the city of Powder Springs. It is kind of like a slighly-less affluent, slightly-more rural suburban counterpart to East Cobb (anybody remember the old saying [from the early 1990's and before]...East Cobb Snobs and West Corncobs???)

Moreover...

"North Cobb" is the area of Cobb County north of Highway 41, and then east to I-575, and north of the city of Marietta. "North Cobb" includes the incorporated cities of Kennesaw and Acworth.

"South Cobb" is the area of Cobb County south and south-west of Powder Springs Road east to I-75, including the Cumberland/Vinings area. "South Cobb" includes the incorporated cities of Austell and Smyrna (and some of Powder Springs.

The City of Marietta is usually not included as being a part of "East Cobb", "North Cobb", "West Cobb", or "South Cobb". It is just the center of the county.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No.

"East Cobb" is roughly the area of Cobb County that is east and north-east of I-75 and I-575; and north of I-285
That's my understanding, yes.

Quote:
When one says "West Cobb," that is the area of Cobb County south of Highway 41, north of Powder Springs Road and west of the Marietta city limits. This area is largely unincorporated except for parts of the city of Powder Springs. It is kind of like a slighly-less affluent, slightly-more rural suburban counterpart to East Cobb (anybody remember the old saying [from the early 1990's and before]...East Cobb Snobs and West Corncobs???)
I agree that this is what it SHOULD be, but many realtors and also many of the folks in this forum seem to think that "East Cobb" is as you describe above, but "West Cobb" is everything else, even including Vinings and Mableton.

Very silly, IMO, and also misleading, but what can I do if that's the definition being used by most of the folks here?

Old 04-22-2008, 11:15 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
I have never heard of Vinings considered "West Cobb."

Old 04-22-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I have never heard of Vinings considered "West Cobb."
See other threads in this forum on this subject -- we've already covered it ad Nauseum.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:19 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
See other threads in this forum on this subject -- we've already covered it ad Nauseum.
I hear what you're saying rcsteiner...it is a problem.

It is part of what I call "real-estate cachet." Like when they call areas off of Wade Green Road "East Cobb."

Old 04-22-2008, 04:10 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,328 times
Gerrynyc - I moved here many years ago from NYC too. I like Cobb, and the longer I live here the more I find that I don't have any reason to go into Atlanta. I think that East Cobb is a nice area, but expensive. I used to live in North Cobb (Lassiter HS) and I liked that area as well. Some of my neighbors would refer to it as East Cobb because it has more snob appeal, but most people don't consider that area "east cobb" just because it is east of I-75. I was very happy with the school when my son went there. In that area you can definitely find a house in your price range.
I now live in West Cobb and I like it even more. Harrison HS is a good school to look into, and the area is much more scenic than the Lassiter area. It really all depends on what you like. I like good shopping and to live in civilization but still be able to pass cows and horses on the way home. You know what I mean... we didn't have a lot of them in NYC so it is still a novelty.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta