Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 04:53 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,292,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
Perhaps I should have phrased that differently, but please don't assume that I'm insulting the city as a whole or calling it backwater for food I haven't even tried! The reason I said that is by and large, I've very rarely had "bad pizza" in NY, and I've found no reason at all to order from generic national chains or buy frozen pizza because you can throw a rock and hit a good pizza place around here. The same can be said for delis that make like 30 different kinds of huge hero sandwiches, and Bagel Shops. They're all over the place. Of course I expect that I'm going to find good pizza in Atlanta, but I'm lamenting the fact that it was so easy to find good pizza in NY and I didn't have to eat any generic chain pizza because I had many better local options.
Same goes for Italian in NY. Great places every other block.

If a pizza place served lousy food in NY it wouldn’t survive.

And I haven’t found a good deli here yet. There was a pretty good one in downtown Alpharetta but they closed down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 08:46 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,950,229 times
Quote:
Thanks!!! Appreciate the info!

So I'm kind of curious too, if I wanted a sort of "Half Way Point" between work and the city proper, are places like Sandy Springs, or Dunwoody any good?

Or how about Norcross or Duluth if I were to go more SE (well NE of the city)?

Just trying to get a feel for what my options might be.
SS and Dunwoody are nice options. You're at the perimeter so it's a good launching point to much of the metro area. Some parts of SS near Northridge RD aren't so great but most of SS is good. They've done a lot of work to give SS a bit of a "facelift" and develop a more clear downtown area instead of just being a series of strip malls.

And Norcross and Duluth near the downtowns would be good options as well. Both get a little sketchy near I-85 but near downtown and towards the Chattahoochee river are just fine. Both downtown areas have things going on but not quite to the level of Alpharetta for example.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:02 PM

323 posts, read 942,892 times
Default Need quick advice on airport to Alpharetta drive time (for job interview)

Hi everyone,

So i posted a thread last week about looking at a job in Atlanta:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atla...g-atlanta.html

I had the phone interview with the company General Manager today and it went FANTASTIC! The recruiter said they want me to do an in person interview this coming Wednesday and he thinks I will leave with an offer if it goes well.

So I apologize for a new thread here but I just want to get a quick answer so I can book a flight.

The company is located off of 400 near the 141 junction. Google is telling me 45 minutes but that sounds like wishful thinking for traffic.

if I land at 11:30, how long should I plan for driving up to Alpharetta?

For a return flight, I'm looking at either 7:30 or 9:15 PM. I want to give myself at least 2-3 hours to interview, so leaving Alpharetta at 4, and departing at 7:30 seems kinda brave at best. I think I may just take the extra time to drive around in a rental car and see the area.

Should I just drive 85 right on up thru to 400, or is circling via 285 helpful at all?

Lastly, can anyone tell me how flying out of Hartsfield has gone lately? Any big delays for security or COVID protocols?

Old 01-29-2021, 12:13 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,033,857 times
I would plan about 90 min from getting off the plane, Getting your rental car, to get to Site.

Traffic on I75/I85 going thru downtown is generally not bad that time of day. But check the 511 to make sure there is not a problem. If there is take I285 around the west side of Atlanta.

7:30p Is a bit tight, I would aim for the 930p flight. (will also let you spend some time driving around Forsyth County Area)

Just a Note: Alpahretta is in FULTON courtly, But most of southern Forsyth is serviced by that post office, (You will find Forsyth taxes a bit cheaper)

511GA

Old 01-29-2021, 01:06 PM

I agree, 90 minutes should work.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:15 PM

I’d also recommend on the way back checking out Avalon and if there’s time drive to downtown Alpharetta.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:23 PM

10,400 posts, read 11,548,537 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

So i posted a thread last week about looking at a job in Atlanta:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atla...g-atlanta.html

I had the phone interview with the company General Manager today and it went FANTASTIC! The recruiter said they want me to do an in person interview this coming Wednesday and he thinks I will leave with an offer if it goes well.

So I apologize for a new thread here but I just want to get a quick answer so I can book a flight.

The company is located off of 400 near the 141 junction. Google is telling me 45 minutes but that sounds like wishful thinking for traffic.

if I land at 11:30, how long should I plan for driving up to Alpharetta?

For a return flight, I'm looking at either 7:30 or 9:15 PM. I want to give myself at least 2-3 hours to interview, so leaving Alpharetta at 4, and departing at 7:30 seems kinda brave at best. I think I may just take the extra time to drive around in a rental car and see the area.

Should I just drive 85 right on up thru to 400, or is circling via 285 helpful at all?

Lastly, can anyone tell me how flying out of Hartsfield has gone lately? Any big delays for security or COVID protocols?
The exact area that you are describing (off of GA-400 near the GA-141 junction) sounds a little bit more like Cumming than Alpharetta, but it is still in the same general area (off of GA-400 in South Forsyth County).

I agree that 90 minutes should work at that time of day.

But just make sure that you give yourself no less than 90 minutes to get between the Atlanta Airport and the Alpharetta/Cumming area of South Forsyth County.

Try and give yourself no less than 90 minutes just in case there is a collision or some other type of traffic incident that disrupts and/or slows traffic down on what generally is a very heavily traveled route (I-85 N to GA-400 to Alpharetta/Cumming) during daylight hours.

flyonpa makes an excellent point that aiming for the 9:30pm flight most likely would be a better course of action than trying to fly back out at 7:30pm.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:37 PM

Thank you everyone!!!! Your replies are much appreciated. I just requested an 11:05 arrival flight and the 9:15 departure. I figure I could do the interview by 1 PM.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:51 PM

I just wanted to share a quick update and ask a couple more follow up questions.

I had my phone interview this morning and it went FANTASTIC!!! They want to fly me in this coming Wednesday for an in person interview and the Recruiter thinks if that goes well I could get a job offer before I leave.

I'm planning on giving myself some extra time to kill after the interview before I start driving towards the airport. I'll probably have an extra hour to an hour and a half to kill driving around in a rental car and I'd like to get a feel for the area.

I noticed that Mark mentioned on my other thread that I check out Avalon on my way out and that looks like a good idea.

Any major business district roads I should drive on to get a feel for the area? Maybe HWY 9 to Rosewell?

Any suggestions for main streets for nightlife and restaurants to drive thru?

Looks like Milton & Main St. in Alpharetta has a good cluster. How about similar in Rosewell?

Old 01-29-2021, 02:32 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,951,856 times
Quote:
I just wanted to share a quick update and ask a couple more follow up questions.

I had my phone interview this morning and it went FANTASTIC!!! They want to fly me in this coming Wednesday for an in person interview and the Recruiter thinks if that goes well I could get a job offer before I leave.

I'm planning on giving myself some extra time to kill after the interview before I start driving towards the airport. I'll probably have an extra hour to an hour and a half to kill driving around in a rental car and I'd like to get a feel for the area.

I noticed that Mark mentioned on my other thread that I check out Avalon on my way out and that looks like a good idea.

Any major business district roads I should drive on to get a feel for the area? Maybe HWY 9 to Rosewell?

Any suggestions for main streets for nightlife and restaurants to drive thru?

Looks like Milton & Main St. in Alpharetta has a good cluster. How about similar in Rosewell?
Peachtree St which becomes Peachtree Rd. North of Midtown is Atlanta's famous spine heading North.

Be careful as there are over 45 streets with "Peachtree" as part of the name.

Peachree Rd. will show you Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead and its business district.

At the intersection with West Paces Ferry, It forks and to the left is Roswell Rd. which will take you up to I-285 and GA400 freeways, (can be used to get to Avalon), Sandy Spring's business district, and just East is the huge Perimeter business and shopping district anchored by Perimeter Mall and State Farm's gorgeous HQ campus.

The attractiveness of this area, I believe, is what impresses CEOs and lures companies to relocate their HQ to the area. It is suburbia at it's most beautiful except for the atrocious traffic outside of the pandemic. A canopy of green trees surrounding dozens of shiny office towers and multi-family residential complexes without any urban blight to be seen.

From there it's a quick ride up to Avalon on GA400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta