Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 05:22 PM

323 posts, read 942,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Yea I had to pay a lot of money to move to TX and then move back to GA a couple of years later. It's a lot of money up front and I get being hesitant when moving to a new area for a new job.
Yeah it's rough to have to go through that in a short time frame. It drove me crazy that when I first got laid off out here after 8 months I had a promising interview with a company in Chicago that I flew back for. Chances are I would have probably still been working there had they happened to contact me 9 months earlier when I lived 2.5 hrs away in Indiana before I moved to NY.

At the time I just couldn't justify turning around and doing it all over again so quickly. Like I said I didn't even have both cars registered in one state yet! It was such an extraordinary hassle to move cross country too. When you commit to that there's no going back. No I'll make a 2nd trip and get these last few things that I put in storage because they didn't fit" either.

I really hope this job is a good fit and it lasts a long time. I just don't have the energy to put myself through this again any time soon. The irony is now I could use the grill, the lawnmower, and the air compressor I sold for a loss in Dec. before I moved to NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 05:07 PM

10,397 posts, read 11,525,312 times
Quote:
CUMMING, Ga. — Forsyth County's newest restaurant, The Bagel Hole, opened its doors two weeks ago. As their slogan, 'nosh on a bigger, better New York style bagel', indicates, the restaurant owners pride themselves on bringing their New York roots to the eatery.

The restaurant is located in a shopping center off Peachtree Parkway in Cumming, and is open every day of the week according to its website. The owners, Gary and Cathy Trentacosta opened the shop on June 22nd offering a variety of specialty bagels, sandwiches, and bakery items.
New York bagels in Forsyth County - 'Come nosh on a bigger, better New York style bagel' at Cumming's newest restaurant.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:21 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,272,295 times
Interesting. A bit too far for me (BB’s is near the limit I’d drive for a bagel) but good to see the competition.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:24 PM

So far I haven't found anything yet but I'm considering Camden Deerfield or Walton Bluegrass as a backup plan by the end of the month.

I noticed there are multiple townhouses for rent at Holcomb Crossing Townhomes near Holcomb Bridge Rd but I noticed that the apartment complexes bordering it sound like they are run down and have issues with drug dealers and other crime.

The neighborhood is the NW corner of Holcomb Bridge Rd and 400 with Big Creek running around the perimeter and the nearby apartment complexes include Oaks, Wood Creek, The Crossings at Holcomb Bridge, and Aspen Pointe Apartments.

Am I correct in assuming I should avoid this neighborhood or is it okay?

I'm mostly concerned about theft as they only have covered carports for parking at the townhouses.

Any other parts of Roswell I should avoid living in?

Old 03-06-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
So far I haven't found anything yet but I'm considering Camden Deerfield or Walton Bluegrass as a backup plan by the end of the month.

I noticed there are multiple townhouses for rent at Holcomb Crossing Townhomes near Holcomb Bridge Rd but I noticed that the apartment complexes bordering it sound like they are run down and have issues with drug dealers and other crime.

The neighborhood is the NW corner of Holcomb Bridge Rd and 400 with Big Creek running around the perimeter and the nearby apartment complexes include Oaks, Wood Creek, The Crossings at Holcomb Bridge, and Aspen Pointe Apartments.

I'm mostly concerned about theft as they only have covered carports for parking at the townhouses.

It all depends on your budget for housing.

You probably should only be looking in that area of more transient townhomes and apartment complexes at the northwest corner of GA-400 and GA-140 Holcomb Bridge Road if you have a fairly very limited lower housing budget that only allows you to live in those types of multi-family housing developments.

If you’ve got a more abundant budget for housing, then you probably should be looking elsewhere, in areas that you personally will feel more comfortable living in.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:53 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,943,454 times
Quote:

I'm just gonna go ahead and say yes, avoid that spot. That's the one area that seems to have problems.
I looked at Camden Deerfield as an option when I moved to Alpharetta. Love the area. There was a condo near there I kinda wanted to buy but budget wasn't quite there yet and it was only available for a few weeks.
Walton Bluegrass is a good spot too. It's right by the Greenway. Halcyon just opened up not that long ago. You're in Forsyth but still a quick shot down to Alpharetta. When I looked at Walton Bluegrass a year and a half ago it was outside my budget. Based on that, there should be more in your price range in Alpharetta north of Mansell along Westside Pkwy and up closer to Alpharetta. Not sure if you already looked at other complexes.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:21 AM

So yesterday was productive!!!

I found 2 places that I am interested in now. Unfortunately both are in Johns Creek which is a bit further East then I wanted to be, but if I'm going to rent a non-HOA ranch type house for around $1,800 this is probably where I'm going to end up.

I could use some advice on traffic if anyone has some experience there.

One is in a subdivision off of Jones Bridge Rd a little West of Dovin Elementary School. My route to 400 N would be Jones Bridge Rd > Waters Rd > Kimball Bridge Rd > Finally Right at Old Milton Pkwy to go to 400 N.

One is near State Bridge Rd. and Jones Bridge Rd. intersection. I'd basically take State Bridge Rd. to 400 N.

Are either of these worse for traffic?

Google Maps is saying 25 min. at 7 AM to get to exit 12.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:

I found 2 places that I am interested in now. Unfortunately both are in Johns Creek which is a bit further East then I wanted to be, but if I'm going to rent a non-HOA ranch type house for around $1,800 this is probably where I'm going to end up.

One is in a subdivision off of Jones Bridge Rd a little West of Dovin Elementary School. My route to 400 N would be Jones Bridge Rd > Waters Rd > Kimball Bridge Rd > Finally Right at Old Milton Pkwy to go to 400 N.

One is near State Bridge Rd. and Jones Bridge Rd. intersection. I'd basically take State Bridge Rd. to 400 N.

Traffic certainly could be more challenging along those routes during pre-COVID times, ESPECIALLY when K-12 schools were in session.

But traffic volumes are noticeably down during that time of day with so many people working from home and with fewer kids doing in-person learning right now.

The Google Maps estimate is about right.

Though, if/when after the pandemic ends, expect traffic to pick back up significantly just from K-12 school-generated traffic alone along with at least a noticeable uptick in traffic generated from people commuting to work, even if people never return to offices at the same levels as before.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:28 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,943,454 times
Quote:

Trying to figure out the first route. So you'd be near Dolvin Elem at Jones Bridge/Buice Rd. Go to Waters Rd then go to Kimball Bridge. So far so good. Pretty common route.
But then you say Kimball Bridge to right to Old Milton Pkwy. So do you mean you'll stay on Kimball Bridge road, cross over 400 (cause there's no exit/entrance there), then take a right on Northwinds Pkwy, then a right on Old Milton EB so you can take a left onto 400NB? That could work. My first thought was actually right on North Point Pkwy NB, left on Old Milton, then it's just a right turn to 400NB but the other way might be quicker.

In normal times, Old Milton Pkwy is a parking lot towards 400 in the morning and away in the afternoon. It really hasn't been that bad since last March. No idea how long that will last. Kimball Bridge wasn't that bad in the morning but terrible in the afternoon. Also, they are practically rebuilding it. The road is a disaster zone. It might be better once they fix it but no idea for sure. They started a year ago and still have several months of work to do. I straight up avoided it like the plague from March til last fall. Still try to not go on it but it's not as bad as when they first started.

I'm gonna throw out a 3rd option. My office is off Windward Pkwy east of 400 and I realized early on that if I needed to go to JC after work at 5pm, I could head east on Windward Pkwy, take a right on Clubhouse Dr. Take a right on Douglas and take that down to Jones Bridge Rd. Lot of stop signs and low speed limits but the traffic was non existent compared to taking Webb Bridge Rd or Old Milton.
If you're heading to McFarland (I think that's exit 12), you could take Jones Bridge Road to Douglas Rd, take that to McGinnis Ferry and then head to McFarland. You will probably encounter traffic on McGinnis Ferry between Douglas and McFarland but other than that it's really not that bad.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
If you're heading to McFarland (I think that's exit 12), you could take Jones Bridge Road to Douglas Rd, take that to McGinnis Ferry and then head to McFarland. You will probably encounter traffic on McGinnis Ferry between Douglas and McFarland but other than that it's really not that bad.
^^^^ ... This route is an excellent suggestion for the OP to avoid much (if not most) of the traffic that occurs while trying to get to Georgia 400 during the morning rush hour during normal times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta