Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 12:35 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times

Advertisements

Atlanta could face intervention from state authorities to help crackdown on rising crime in Georgia’s capital city amid a spate of violent and property crimes over the past year.

Georgia House Speaker David Ralston (R-Blue Ridge) on Thursday called for a General Assembly panel to study Atlanta’s crime problem over the summer and decide whether “state intervention may be necessary.”

Quote:
“In the past I have resisted calls for state oversight of a city’s operations,” Ralston said at a news conference. “But this pandemic of lawlessness has now reached crisis proportions.”

Ralston informed Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms of the legislature’s intentions in a letter sent Thursday. Bottoms’ office did not immediately respond to a request for comment...

... Atlanta saw 157 murders in 2020, marking a steep increase from previous years. Assaults and auto thefts are also on the rise, contributing to a crime situation in Atlanta that Ralston said the city “doesn’t seem to be able to bring under control.”
Georgia Lawmakers To Look At State Intervention In Atlanta Crime-Fighting (Georgia Public Broadcasting/Capitol Beat News Service)

Old 03-25-2021, 01:09 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
I wouldn’t bother. This is KLB’s situation to fix, and she’s up for re-election in 7 or so months.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:02 PM

450 posts, read 271,703 times
It's hard to imagine anything being done. The violence is, for now, mostly between people who know each other and are kind of expecting it (frankly, if you're going to a nightclub in Atlanta, you know what you're getting into). In other words, no one really cares. No politician actually wants to do anything that would put a lid on it for very obvious political reasons.

It would have to get much, much worse and involve a lot more bystanders for anything to happen. We're in a crime upswing and the criminals know that no one's really going to do much.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:01 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,854,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smocaine View Post
It's hard to imagine anything being done. The violence is, for now, mostly between people who know each other and are kind of expecting it (frankly, if you're going to a nightclub in Atlanta, you know what you're getting into). In other words, no one really cares. No politician actually wants to do anything that would put a lid on it for very obvious political reasons.

It would have to get much, much worse and involve a lot more bystanders for anything to happen. We're in a crime upswing and the criminals know that no one's really going to do much.

I mean there's a lot of people who don't have mortal enemies, but still want to go out and enjoy some nightlife without significant risk of violence.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:43 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
What in the heck is the state of Georgia going to do if they take over the ATL? Post state troopers and the National Guard at all the nightclubs and malls?

Old 03-25-2021, 08:12 PM

450 posts, read 271,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I mean there's a lot of people who don't have mortal enemies, but still want to go out and enjoy some nightlife without significant risk of violence.

There's a world of difference between normal nightlife activity and the worst-of-the-worst Atlanta nightclubs that attract gunfire.

That's why I think all the violence hooplah is overblown; if you're not interested in having bullets whizz past your head, it's not hard to avoid. It's only a problem, per se, when it leaks to normal places like Piedmont Park. Which is still rare.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:26 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,313,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What in the heck is the state of Georgia going to do if they take over the ATL? Post state troopers and the National Guard at all the nightclubs and malls?
That's my question too.
My guess is they will fund a commission, and the conclusion will be to lower taxes.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:29 PM

46 posts, read 33,450 times
https://www.npr.org/2021/01/06/95325...ndemic-in-2020

Crime is up in all major US cities. Kemp really is the blame for opening up Atlanta and the tourist bringing the crime with them on last year

Old 03-25-2021, 08:31 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Major U.S. cities are reaping what they've sown.

Old 03-26-2021, 06:51 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smocaine View Post

The crime has gotten to the point where bystanders don't feel safe. Kennedy Maxie was killed just riding by Lenox in her aunt's car. As a resident of Buckhead, I would welcome state intervention. Sure, the mayor is up for reelection in 7 months but I don't have much confidence in her successor changing anything.

Last edited by AtlJan; 03-26-2021 at 07:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta