Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 PM

8 posts, read 36,381 times

Advertisements

My husband, two children 10 & 8, and I are relocating to the Atlanta area from the Chicago western suburbs. My husband will be working in Tucker. We originally thought he might be in Roswell so we really set our sights on Alpharetta. I visited one school, Crabapple Crossing, research the area and fell in love with it. But recently, we found out his office will be staying in Tucker, so Alpharetta would be too long of a commute. I then started to research Johns Creek. The commute would be cut by about 8 miles. Our price point is around $330. I have been looking at Abbotts Hill Elementary School. We will be coming out next week to look for a house and unfortunately the school are closed for the summer. Any info on any good subdivisions in area and how about the school?? Any feedback would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 07:57 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,942,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babynurse93 View Post
My husband, two children 10 & 8, and I are relocating to the Atlanta area from the Chicago western suburbs. My husband will be working in Tucker. We originally thought he might be in Roswell so we really set our sights on Alpharetta. I visited one school, Crabapple Crossing, research the area and fell in love with it. But recently, we found out his office will be staying in Tucker, so Alpharetta would be too long of a commute. I then started to research Johns Creek. The commute would be cut by about 8 miles. Our price point is around $330. I have been looking at Abbotts Hill Elementary School. We will be coming out next week to look for a house and unfortunately the school are closed for the summer. Any info on any good subdivisions in area and how about the school?? Any feedback would be great!
If you are considering new construction, then consider Andover Park; albeit, the lots aren't very large. Do you desire a larger lot?

Old 05-24-2008, 02:00 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,137 times
Mostly all of the schools in the Johns Creek (fulton) are good. Since that is the case, I would go with the house you like best. It will make it much easier when housing hunting than narrowing your search down to one particular elementary school which could change anyway if you were ever redistricted. Good luck.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:07 PM

28 posts, read 122,345 times
Default Try Simpson elementary

Hi, I think that is a long commute. 141 goes slow, and getting on 85 is tough going. A great school district with plenty of 10-20 years old homes in this price range is Simpson Elementary. There is fabulous shopping and an amazing park on the Chattahoochee. It would be real close to Tucker, so check it out if possible.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:11 PM

79 posts, read 416,203 times
The schools actually stay open for the most part, there just aren't students there. I visited schools over the summer last year, and was able to meet with the assistant principal and got a tour. Just call ahead of time. I'd also do the commute during rush hour, if you can. You just never know here until you drive it.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:44 PM

8 posts, read 36,381 times
Thanks for your responses. My husband tried the commute Wednesday evening at 5:30 p.m. and it wasn't that bad, about 45 minutes. We were looking in the Silver Ridge subdivision. Any info on this subdivision?? Any we should stay away from? We will be coming down this weekend. We have been working with a realtor, but any outside information always helps.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:21 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babynurse93 View Post
Thanks for your responses. My husband tried the commute Wednesday evening at 5:30 p.m. and it wasn't that bad, about 45 minutes. We were looking in the Silver Ridge subdivision. Any info on this subdivision?? Any we should stay away from? We will be coming down this weekend. We have been working with a realtor, but any outside information always helps.
Silver Ridge is an older Pulte community. When they were first built it was considered a move-up home. They're good solid homes- just depends on the upkeep. The intersection of Taylor Rd & Jones Br is a bear in the morning- even worse during the school year- and in the afternoon as the high school and middle school end for the day.
There are a few subdivisions between State Br & Abbott's Br along Jones Br that would fall into your price range- but they are in the 15-20yr old range, so upkeep and general condition of the subdivision should be considered also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta