Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 16,223 times

Advertisements

HI there,

We are relocating to Johns Creek 30097 zip from NJ and would like your help.

My daughter 6 will be attending Findley Oaks in first grade.
Also have a son 4 who need a good Pre-K program in the local vicinity...any suggestions would be helpful!!!!

Also is there a good gymnastics academy in the area. My daughter has been doing that for a couple of years and would like to continue.

Any other family friendly attractions in the area? Its going to be a huge change for us.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 01:51 PM

528 posts, read 1,283,521 times
Default Wow, you sound like me! We are looking to move down there and

deciding where and I have a six year old and a four year old I need nursery school for and gymnastics for both! I'll be watching this thread!!

Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,314,129 times
Not sure about gymanstics. You could check out the Alpharetta YMCA for that.

But there are swimming centers (2), karate/takewondo (2), public library, basketball (church + Suwanee Sports at a little distance) ... within few miles of the Medlock Bridge (141) / Abbotts Bridge (120) intersections.

The major activity zones are: Alpharetta YMCA, Suwanee Sports Academy. Several smaller indvidual centers offering specific activities.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:48 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingmania View Post
HI there,

We are relocating to Johns Creek 30097 zip from NJ and would like your help.

My daughter 6 will be attending Findley Oaks in first grade.

Findley Oaks is a wonderful school. She will enjoy it there.

Quote:
Also have a son 4 who need a good Pre-K program in the local vicinity...any suggestions would be helpful!!!!
There are several nearby. If you want a church-oriented program then Johns Creek United Methodist Church on Hwy. 141 has a very extensive pre-K program, altho it is half-days only (Johns Creek United Methodist Church:). If not, then I can also recommend The Goddard School on Johns Creek Pkwy (The Goddard School located in Suwanee I, GA Infant - Preschool Child Care: Day Care). We used them for 2 years and were very happy. Both places are very close to Findley Oaks.

Quote:
Also is there a good gymnastics academy in the area. My daughter has been doing that for a couple of years and would like to continue.
One of the best gymnastics programs in the area is Ultimate Gymnastics off of Peachtree Industrial: Ultimate Gymnastics They are competition-focused although they have recreational programs as well. The only downside is that they are about a 20 to 30 minute drive from your area, worse in rush hour.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 PM

188 posts, read 594,446 times
These are all great suggestions, and I'll add a few more.

We send a child to Medlock Bridge Montessori, off of 141 and very close to Findley Oaks. We love it. I have also toured Creative Montessori off Johns Creek Parkway in Suwanee (also close to Findley Oaks) and was very impressed. Another child of mine went to Johns Creek Christian Church on Bell Road and we had a wonderful experience (though it's only part-time).

Gymnastics World just relocated and it's very close to you. Go to gymworldofga.com

Welcome to the area. You will love it!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:01 AM

528 posts, read 1,283,521 times
Default Can any of you who live in this area tell me how far of a commute

my husband would have from Laurel Springs area to Commerce Parkway in Duluth? Someone answered and said 45 minutes. Gosh, I hope it's not that long. I know they are widening the one road. That will help right? He will only be going into that office about 12 days out of 20. The other 8 days he will be traveling, one week thru the airport and one week north to South Carolina via car. We really liked that neighborhood and school district. I am good with Johns Creek high school cluster too but it doesn't see there are a lot of newer homes esp. with golf!

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:26 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
my husband would have from Laurel Springs area to Commerce Parkway in Duluth? Someone answered and said 45 minutes. Gosh, I hope it's not that long. I know they are widening the one road. That will help right? He will only be going into that office about 12 days out of 20. The other 8 days he will be traveling, one week thru the airport and one week north to South Carolina via car. We really liked that neighborhood and school district. I am good with Johns Creek high school cluster too but it doesn't see there are a lot of newer homes esp. with golf!

Thanks for your help!
It will improve once McGinnis Ferry is done (projected in 2012). Right now it takes my wife 35-40 minutes to drive home to the Morningview area of Suwanee (near I-85) from the area near Laurel Springs; Commerce Drive is obviously further away than her destination. The main hang up is the bottleneck getting down McGinnis Ferry. When there is no traffic, it takes her something like 16 minutes. You should consider coming for a visit and staying in a hotel somewhere off 141; have your husband make that drive a couple of mornings and afternoons to get a sense of the exact times.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:18 AM

4 posts, read 16,223 times
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I will certainly look into the schools you had suggested.

As far as preschools are concerned I called Crabapple Academy and Primrose.
How is the Georgia Pre-K classes?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 8,540 times
You will be very close to McGinnis Woods Country Day School (it's on McGinnis Ferry, probabaly about 2 miles from you). It is a non-denominational private school that offers up to grade 8, but also has a pre-K program. They also have a preschool program. My daughter went there and I have several friends with children there. It is amazing!

Someone mentioned Gymnastics World, I have heard that is a great facility. My daughter went to SEGA in Alpharetta, it has really gone downhill though, several of the instructors actually moved to Gymnatics World.

Last edited by cgolden0703; 12-10-2010 at 10:32 AM..

Old 12-20-2010, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 8,579 times
I heard great things about All Star Dance, http://www.allstarinformation.com/index.htm.
As far as I know they offer free trial gymnastics classes. If you are also interested in music/instrument classes, I could give you some ideas with that too.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta