Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:49 PM

44 posts, read 120,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlnot View Post
I wanted to express my opinion of living in Atlanta and the surrounding areas for over 7 years. If you are considering moving to Atlanta metro area for better job opportunities and lifestyle, my recommendation is look elsewhere.

I'll list what I found to be the positives and negatives of living in the good ol Peachtree State.

Positives:

Overall decent climate
Reasonable airfares to get out of town
A lot of trees
Somewhat international feel- nothing great nothing horrible

Negatives:

Traffic is awful. Public transportation sucks. Long Commutes with rude ignorant drivers.
Low Paying Jobs.
High rent in decent areas.
Discrimination against anyone that is not African-American is "thick" down here.

Bosses at work don't control themselves when speaking to workers. A lot of the supervisors are rude, arrogant, and ignorant. I don't care if there are a lot of Fortune 500 companies here. Many sources say move to Atl. lots more businesses there hiring. Do you know why a lot of businesses move to atlanta? Because there are a lack of unions down here. They can fire at will and harrass their workers and there isn't much you can do.
The GA dept of labor is backwards. Trying to collect unemployment in this state is a major challenge. Your lucky if you can get assistance looking for a job from this agency. I tried more than once and it was like they wanted me to continue to be unemployed. It's pathetic.

Taxes are outrageous for what you get. Park and Recreation system is sorely lacking. There aren't many decent parks in the metro area to hike and get away from the rude people. There have been a series of crimes on the "better" biking trails.

Education quality is horrible. Both in the schools and universities. If you want quality head North. If you are highly educated you may feel out of place in Atlanta.

Restaurants do a lot of microwaving. People here think that since they getting a lot of food that the food is great. Sorry, but when did quantity replace quality when it came to great tasting food. Restaurants use a lot of sugar, salt, and fat in their dishes. That's why there are so many overweight people in Georgia.

Many people here are phoney. They smile to your face and backstab you the next minute. When you really need help, they are nowhere to be found. Someone is always trying to scam you out of your money. Yes, this includes the doctors and lawyers down here. No wonder bankruptcy is prevelant. It's not uncommon to see people yelling and screaming in public like they are going to be rewarded by who can shout the loudest. Respect is unheard of in the ATL. Your not rewarded by your hard work, down here, your rewarded by how lazy you can be.

Crime is rampant. Shootings on the streets and in the courthouses. Incredible!

Smog alerts are common. Georgia is not known for being environmentally friendly.

Houses are poorely constructed. They look nice from the outside but the building material is poor and weak. The houses are like disposable plates.

I could go on but I think you can get an overall impression of HOTlanta. Consider other areas of the country if your deciding to move here. Other parts of the U.S. may not have as many job opportunities but I think they would have a better quality of life. As soon as I can get enough money from the minimal paying jobs-I moving from the Peachtree State.

After living here for a long time I now know why they call it HOTlanta. It's not because of the weather. It's because it's filled with a lot of HOTHEADS.
Are you Black American? Alot of this sounds very personal. It also sounds like you may be a little racist. I am i St. Louis and the only thing i have heard bad about ATL is the over crowd and traffic.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:18 AM

217 posts, read 409,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Six Flags is played out and is only for rollercoaster lovers. There are several malls that have pretty much the same thing in every one of them. What is there to do in Atlanta once you've done all of this: NOTHING!
You absolutely cannot be serious with this. If this is the extent to which you've explored the cultural and entertainment options in Atlanta, I suspect that you are either 10 years old or you just WANT to be bored so you have something to complain about. I truly cannot imagine any adult saying, with a straight face, "I went to Six Flags, I went to the mall. There's nothing to do here!"

Are you waiting for someone to come to your house, tie you up, stuff you in the trunk of a car, take you somewhere and MAKE you have a good time?

You are on the internet right now. You know, that thing people you use to find information? Think of something you want to do. Google that word or phrase with "Atlanta." If I had any money I'd bet it that you'll find something.

If you want to move back to Huntsville or some other place, that's totally understandable. Many, many people are living somewhere they can't wait to get away from (including me.) But please learn to discern "This place/person/situation is not for me" from "This place/person/situation is irretrievably defective" or you're going to make life really unpleasant for yourself and everyone you meet.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:55 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
You absolutely cannot be serious with this. If this is the extent to which you've explored the cultural and entertainment options in Atlanta, I suspect that you are either 10 years old or you just WANT to be bored so you have something to complain about. I truly cannot imagine any adult saying, with a straight face, "I went to Six Flags, I went to the mall. There's nothing to do here!"

Are you waiting for someone to come to your house, tie you up, stuff you in the trunk of a car, take you somewhere and MAKE you have a good time?

You are on the internet right now. You know, that thing people you use to find information? Think of something you want to do. Google that word or phrase with "Atlanta." If I had any money I'd bet it that you'll find something.

If you want to move back to Huntsville or some other place, that's totally understandable. Many, many people are living somewhere they can't wait to get away from (including me.) But please learn to discern "This place/person/situation is not for me" from "This place/person/situation is irretrievably defective" or you're going to make life really unpleasant for yourself and everyone you meet.
I second that!He seriously asked ;"what could you do in Atlanta once Six Flags and the malls are over?"Really?LOL.It speaks more about his exposures to culture and different experieces than what it says about Atlanta.Even people that hate it hear would surely agree that there is much more to do than Huntsville,Alabama.I'm sure he is just venting without thinking clearly.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:23 AM

325 posts, read 979,962 times
You know what? I always take a big *sigh* when I see threads like this. Lol. People's opinions are just that, people's opinions. The very things you despise about Atlanta, may be the very things someone else enjoys. Everyone is entitled to their gripes, but there are pros and cons to living in ANY city. The jobs are low paying bc the cost of living is lower OR a person may not have enough to get a higher paying one. Traffic?? Is that really the best you can do? Lol. Other major cities have traffic WAAAAAYYY worse than Atlanta (i.e DC, Chicago, Houston, etc..). I could go on and on and on....don't discourage someone else because your experience has been horrible. It's unfair and biased (of course).........Just simply state that your experience has been unpleasant and the reasons, but don't say "Don't Move to Atlanta"....

Old 08-06-2009, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 15,328 times
I love Atlanta and looking to buy a vacation condo in Buckhead. I cant wait to find the right condo there are so many to choose from. I certainly have not been put off by atlnot

Old 08-06-2009, 02:54 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,896,145 times
Do you. It depends on the vibe you are used to.

If you came from a spot culturally mixed and people are into enjoying their quality of life then make sure you move to a spot that is similar. Human nature dictakes what you're used to will be a confortable environment for you.

I'm used to a cultural mix, well established city where everything under the sun happens. Mountains, beaches, festivals, art, theatre, etc were at my back door. You work one job, further your education and put in time at the job to climb the ranks while increasing your financial wealth. It didn't matter if you were from Arizona, NY, Chicago..........who cares! As long as you are qualified and have the right attitude you are in there as far as jobs are concerned.

I didn't come from having a "place". I speak my mind and that doesn't theaten people where I'm from so here's the key to life:

Adapt to survive is all I can say OR align yourself with similar minded people who are here from other places which isn't that hard to do.

I've been here 5 years and the profound thought I spiritually developed:
Is it more important to have "things" OR to enjoy the rich experiences of life and have great relationships?

Last edited by hatgirl007; 08-06-2009 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 08-06-2009, 03:48 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,359,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post

I've been here 5 years and the profound thought I spiritually developed:
Is it more important to have "things" OR to enjoy the rich experiences of life and have great relationships?
FOr me its that later....

Old 08-08-2009, 07:38 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Almost every state in the union is experience major problems because of the "recession" or "slowdown(whatever you want to call it).Georgia, since the 70s has consistently been one of the best overall states.Far above the the other states particularly in the south.Today it still ranks high
http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org/...erformance.pdf

Gdot is having some problems but that is mainly because its used to working with a surplus.If you know about bonds then you must know the ratings for Atlanta are all near the top despite the financial situation now.Georgia is at the very top of best ran states in the u.s. currently.GDOT can get credit based on this due to how well the agencey has been ran overall based on projected future revenue.Opinions are one thing facts or another.But don't try to confuse opinion as if it were the the later.The nation as a whole has horrible infrastructure compared to other countries.Sonny "DO nuthin" Perdue is not my favorite politician,but he has at least maintained the status quo which has been a pretty well ran government in the past.NO real progress,Not much decline.

Yes a "unincorporated" area decided to form their own city is true.Thats not called a subdivision smart guy.But there are other areas of the city that are partitioning for annexation as we speak.Georgia laws are ig crappy in this regard of how they hinder cities from annexation since the republicans made it an issue.That does suck!!

If you know anything about public care hospitals,you would know that not only Grady but almost all these type of indigent care facilities across the nation are in crisis mode.

As far as being "slow and southern".Your statement proves your ignorance and the reason why you and your type don't make it here with us "Slow southern types"
I'm a African-American that has love for all who respect me.My parents both have there Doctorates and my father works as a Dean at a major university here.His mother(my grandmother or Big-mama is what i called her.I hope not too southern and slow for you.),went back to get her doctorate at age 55 at The University of Georgia in education.My mother is retired educator.My sister has her MBA and I have my B.S. in poli Sci.All my dad's siblings went to college and got degrees.6out of the 11 children that made it to college age on my mother side got degree's has well.It was hard for them because they were dirt poor.It makes no difference if you are northern or southern.Access and availability to decent education is necessary to those who seek it.Your stereotypes are to me and admission of your ignorance

No,its not just CNN.IT's One of the most acclaimed symphony s and opera's in the U.S.Great Universities such as GaTech,Emory University,Morehouse and Spelman Colleges,Olgethorpe,Ga State Univ.etc..It could be some of the worlds best know companies and products(ie Coke,Home Depot,Invesco,Wendy's,UPS etc...Or maybe its major sports championships:SEC champs,The Final Fours and regional Finals,ACC champships.PGA tournaments at East Lake,Olympics,etc...Or maybe the famous world personalities like,Lil John,Usher,Jimmy Carter,Hank Aaron,Spike Lee,..Martin Luther King .etc.....Or.. maybe it some of the most beautiful neighborhoods with trees ,azaleas and dogwoods.Or maybe for one of the best art or the history museums like the partner ship with the Lourve @ the High and one of the top and largest collection of Egyptian Art in the country at the Carlos museum . Anyway theres so much to wanting to live here.Just because you are too lazy and expect things to be like the sorry place you left.Yes i have lived all over the world and with exception of Camden N.J,I have found great people and places.However even Camden N.J. thats true too!!

If people flock to one area for over 30years consistently then obviously it will become more competitive to live there.I think most people who move here who don't like it here are just expecting what they left behind.When they realize the culture and vibe of what they gotten into is counter to there own hometowns.Like they say if everyone is loving something except you ,Then maybe YOU not not the place?

If your of such 'high degree' why call someone ignorant ? Most people with good education don't talk like that in a debate . They leave name calling and attacks to the' ignorant ' .

The poster was telling the truth in most cases , I know because I am from Atlanta and moved away because of how bad it got .

Old 08-08-2009, 10:54 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
If your of such 'high degree' why call someone ignorant ? Most people with good education don't talk like that in a debate . They leave name calling and attacks to the' ignorant ' .

The poster was telling the truth in most cases , I know because I am from Atlanta and moved away because of how bad it got .
Ignorance is only bad when you claim to be knowledgeable when you are not.Those topics he/she brought up were baseless.It's that the best you can do?Obviously you can not refute what I said either,so instead you just got mad and wanted to side with the poster.Instead of questioning me,prove what I said was not true.You may have moved away ,but more have stayed and moved here.Every place is not for everybody, but do not try to put people down that decide to stay and live productive lives in happiness here.( as if something is wrong with them).I can handle the honest truth,but when you make wild untrue statements,it only causes your credibility to be called in to question.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:57 PM

178 posts, read 618,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcontroller View Post
funny how white people complain when african americans are the majority in a city when is most cases in this country african americans are the minority. Doesnt feel good I see. Getting a little uncomfortable. too funny.
I think the argument is white people are sick of getting the race card played on them. Any battle is automatically lost no matter what the argument was. Then, people look down on the white person because the black person has that power to play that move. It's a game a white man can never win. And it's a game a black man will never understand because it's become their nature to use it.

It's sad how our Jewish community has gone through more inhumane forms of torture yet everyone hates on them. The fact is they don't complain as much as the African American community does about it. They see becoming more successfull through savvy business procedures more important then complaining about life not being fair because of their history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta