Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM

925 posts, read 2,608,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Many of the transplants who still attempt to relocate to Atlanta are looking for the late 90s/2000 Atlanta. That place is long gone. It was a decent manageable city, but it just grew too sprawled out and overpopulated. The law of diminishing returns ensures that as more and more people attempted to relocate there, seeking the same praises those before them boasted about, everybody began enjoying less and less of said 'benefits'. I don't understand why people are so thick to the notion that as more people attempt to take advantage of what you have taken advantage of in the past, the net effect is that everybody gets to enjoy less of said quality, to include the first settler.

I wouldn't even regard present day Atlanta as affordable for the southeast region (the original mythical reason so many transplants flocked the city in the first place, in the last decade) . It has become a refugee camp for New England and West Coast equity transplants. Might as well put a Donkin Donuts in every corner and call it Massachusetts already. Traffic is out of control, sprawl is out of control and real estate is expensive when compared to any city east or west through the bible belt. It is a perfect exemplification of the idea that growth is NOT universally good for a region, as opposed to what the peanut gallery believes. There is such a thing as a bell curve distribution to maximizing quality of life for the median, and that point was right around 2001 population level, after that it just got spoiled.
Since the economic downturn ensued, sprawl has basically come to a stand still. I have not seen any untouched areas/forests/fields be bulldozed to make way for new housing and or shopping centers. What I have seen are a few developments break ground in already developed or partially developed areas. I don't see the urbanized boundaries expanding further out. I simply see a little infill, which has been very, very slow since late 2007.

As such, I'm not certain that there are that many people resettling in the Atlanta region. I wouldn't be surprised if Metro Atlanta were only gaining about 30,000 people per year at the current rate, unlike the 100,000-150,000 rate just a few years ago.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:20 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,897,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
if u think atl is bad, try livin in pittsburgh
I've known several people who have lived in Pittsburgh, and they all liked it. It's more compact and older in some spots, and it's more homogeneous than Atlanta regarding residents, but since it cleaned up in the 80s, I've not heard negative comments from those I know who have visited and/or lived there.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:05 PM

8 posts, read 17,457 times
Default rswlguy's pointless sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
Dear Lord ... well, well, well. Welcome everyone to Georgia (or should I say 'JawJa')? The illustrious and indigenous has spoken! Glory hallelujah! God please give me the courage to [make better] and change what I can, the strength to when to know when I cannot ... and the wisdom (oh, please, please...Lord thank you for making me the person I am) to know [that I know] the difference!

Amen.
What a sarcastic, caustic reply! Your arrogant, sarcastic reply does no one any good. In fact, the poster you’re mocking, Ga. Peach, is correct with this comment: “blacks and whites were safer even in Jim Crow days than they are walking down the street there now. This idea of turning cities into ghettos is not what MLK’s dream was about. It's the race hustlers, immoral deviants, hypocrites and liars who keep us separate. United we stand; one language, culture and locked borders or divided we fall. We have all chosen to fall.” It’s so true & patently obvious to any intelligent observer that the immoral race hustlers are the perpetrators of any “racism” that exists in the south or anywhere else. Blacks discriminate against whites because they’re taught from a young age to do so. The race hustlers such as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Charles Rangel and other cons of their ilk are evil, vile, disgusting pieces of trash who survive only if the black race is kept in the dark, so they’ve convinced blacks that whites are racists and will discriminate against them. Only if blacks believe that whites hate them and are out to get them will Jesse, Al, and the other “black leaders” continue to live in the lap of luxury on the backs of decent people everywhere. Blacks have been conned by the “black leaders” for decades. In addition, whites are too scared to speak up against them. Most whites absolutely do judge blacks by the content of their character, not skin color. Unfortunately, look at the content of Jesse’s, Al’s, Charles’ and other “black leaders’” character! They are the evil haters, the discriminators and they only teach other blacks that whites are their enemies. You should read Larry Elder’s book, The Ten Things You Can't Say in America.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 PM

8 posts, read 17,457 times
Default neil0311 is uninformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Looks like we have an overripe peach. The fuzz is starting to go moldy.

In fact, the poster you’re mocking, Ga. Peach, is correct with this comment: “blacks and whites were safer even in Jim Crow days than they are walking down the street there now. This idea of turning cities into ghettos is not what MLK’s dream was about. It's the race hustlers, immoral deviants, hypocrites and liars who keep us separate. United we stand; one language, culture and locked borders or divided we fall. We have all chosen to fall.” It’s so true & patently obvious to any intelligent observer that the immoral race hustlers are the perpetrators of any “racism” that exists in the south or anywhere else. Blacks discriminate against whites because they’re taught from a young age to do so. The race hustlers such as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Charles Rangel and other cons of their ilk are evil, vile, disgusting pieces of trash who survive only if the black race is kept in the dark, so they’ve convinced blacks that whites are racists and will discriminate against them. Only if blacks believe that whites hate them and are out to get them will Jesse, Al, and the other “black leaders” continue to live in the lap of luxury on the backs of decent people everywhere. Blacks have been conned by the “black leaders” for decades. In addition, whites are too scared to speak up against them. Most whites absolutely do judge blacks by the content of their character, not skin color. Unfortunately, look at the content of Jesse’s, Al’s, Charles’ and other “black leaders’” character! They are the evil haters, the discriminators and they only teach other blacks that whites are their enemies. You should read Larry Elder’s book, TheTen Things You Can't Say in America.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:40 AM

258 posts, read 534,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I've known several people who have lived in Pittsburgh, and they all liked it. It's more compact and older in some spots, and it's more homogeneous than Atlanta regarding residents, but since it cleaned up in the 80s, I've not heard negative comments from those I know who have visited and/or lived there.
these aren't good things. they help keep pittsburgh from progressing forward in a positive direction.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:13 AM

7 posts, read 22,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
umm...lies?

I just told you my personal experience. I have nothing against atlanta, but you can live just as cheap in chicago as you can in atlanta. I am living proof and gave examples as to why.
Agreed. I'm not sure about the cost of living calculator - I've found that to be way OFF when comparing Atlanta to Hawaii, where I lived most recently before relocating to Atlanta....it was off on food, housing, electric - pretty much everything.

And, so far I've found Atlanta to be far cheaper than Chicago. I lived in Chicago from 1998 - 2002 and I paid higher rent there for less house than I do here today. That may be a reflection of the economy, but I've found this area to be one of the cheapest, with the notable exception of rural northern Michigan - where I'd never live again, even if someone paid me!

Old 06-21-2009, 07:33 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,390 times
Like the OP I lived in Atlanta for the last 7 years and having recently moved out of Atlanta all I can say is this: there is nothing remarkable about Atlanta. Atlanta could be any other second tier city in the country. The ATL is not a bad city at all. It's just nothing special.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:23 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,582 times
Tell you the truth there is nothing special about none of the citys in the USA. Once you have been to once place you have been to them all

Old 06-21-2009, 10:39 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,552,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanphillips View Post
In fact, the poster you’re mocking, Ga. Peach, is correct with this comment: “blacks and whites were safer even in Jim Crow days than they are walking down the street there now. This idea of turning cities into ghettos is not what MLK’s dream was about. It's the race hustlers, immoral deviants, hypocrites and liars who keep us separate. United we stand; one language, culture and locked borders or divided we fall. We have all chosen to fall.” It’s so true & patently obvious to any intelligent observer that the immoral race hustlers are the perpetrators of any “racism” that exists in the south or anywhere else. Blacks discriminate against whites because they’re taught from a young age to do so. The race hustlers such as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Charles Rangel and other cons of their ilk are evil, vile, disgusting pieces of trash who survive only if the black race is kept in the dark, so they’ve convinced blacks that whites are racists and will discriminate against them. Only if blacks believe that whites hate them and are out to get them will Jesse, Al, and the other “black leaders” continue to live in the lap of luxury on the backs of decent people everywhere. Blacks have been conned by the “black leaders” for decades. In addition, whites are too scared to speak up against them. Most whites absolutely do judge blacks by the content of their character, not skin color. Unfortunately, look at the content of Jesse’s, Al’s, Charles’ and other “black leaders’” character! They are the evil haters, the discriminators and they only teach other blacks that whites are their enemies. You should read Larry Elder’s book, TheTen Things You Can't Say in America.
Jesse the womanizer and "castrator". Al Sharpton still has influence, I don't know how. Who is Charles?

I think most who follow these men are looking for an easy way out.

And now, I must include Obama who became just like every other politician in example. He might as well be a Democratic Bush.

And yet, Bill Cosby has little following because he directly tells people to fix themselves.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 3,490 times
Hello BobKovacs,
Yes, you said it right and I quote, "thanks, but our bridges already have their fill of trolls".
Don't tell me, Georgian, right? lol
I hit a nerve and do so appologize. I love it when I speak the truth and they cowar here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta