Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 01:44 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
I think the argument is white people are sick of getting the race card played on them. Any battle is automatically lost no matter what the argument was. Then, people look down on the white person because the black person has that power to play that move. It's a game a white man can never win. And it's a game a black man will never understand because it's become their nature to use it.

It's sad how our Jewish community has gone through more inhumane forms of torture yet everyone hates on them. The fact is they don't complain as much as the African American community does about it. They see becoming more successfull through savvy business procedures more important then complaining about life not being fair because of their history.
Racism def:
Quote:
racism is a belief or ideology that all members of each racial group possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially to distinguish it as being either superior or inferior to another racial group or racial groups

Your whole statement is dripped with stereotypes and racism.If you can say that "thats what black people do",is it not logical that someone who is black somewhere saying "thats what white people do".The fact that you would say that is the "nature"of how black people are really drives how racist you are.These are the reasons that this issue exist

Old 08-09-2009, 02:03 PM

178 posts, read 618,083 times
First I never even used the word "racist or racism". My post had nothing to do with racism. Thanks anyways Webster. My view comes from my experience throughout my life. Being the only white person in school and observing other individuals. I've sat through classes where the teachers have taught where slavery is in the heredity of a black person.

This book talks about how it's in the mind, spirit, and body of an African American. Breaking the Chains of Psychological Slavery. It's written by Na'im Akbar. It's a very eye opening book and I think if you read it you'll understand what I'm saying. I was taught in classes by teachers who taught on the history of African American heritage about this philosophy. It's not a matter of being racist. Because one, I never demonstrated an idea of how I would believe I was inferior or superior. This is you playing the race card just as I told how common it has become. I think playing a race card is a good demonstration of racism. I think you might want to reverse your argument toward yourself.

I sat in classes where the main goal was to hate on the rich white man.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:20 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ignorance is only bad when you claim to be knowledgeable when you are not.Those topics he/she brought up were baseless.It's that the best you can do?Obviously you can not refute what I said either,so instead you just got mad and wanted to side with the poster.Instead of questioning me,prove what I said was not true.You may have moved away ,but more have stayed and moved here.Every place is not for everybody, but do not try to put people down that decide to stay and live productive lives in happiness here.( as if something is wrong with them).I can handle the honest truth,but when you make wild untrue statements,it only causes your credibility to be called in to question.

I'm just saying there are two sides to every story . Somewhere in the middle is usually the facts .

I only know that 30 years ago it was safe to walk or take a bus downtown . Now it is very dangerous . Before there were no bars on the windows of shops, now most have ugly bars and the streets are trashed .

So who's fault is this , it's the ones who manage the area . And thats the race hustlers who took it over . They have destroyed the relationships with the races and the attitudes of their 'victims' .

Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
I'm just saying there are two sides to every story . Somewhere in the middle is usually the facts .

I only know that 30 years ago it was safe to walk or take a bus downtown . Now it is very dangerous . Before there were no bars on the windows of shops, now most have ugly bars and the streets are trashed .

So who's fault is this , it's the ones who manage the area . And thats the race hustlers who took it over . They have destroyed the relationships with the races and the attitudes of their 'victims' .
More people go to Downtown on an average weekday now more than any time in the history of the city. Between the workers, students, business people, tourists and convention attendees, there are generally over 200,000+ people Downtown on any given weekday.

On the weekends it can be thriving if there are games/concerts/park events scheduled.

Over 30 new restaurants & clubs have opened up in the last 18 months. New office, condo and hotel towers have gone up. They are in the process of renovating Macy's into a new shopping and dining destination. Downtown had the best office market in the City last year, and has some of the lowest occupancy rates. Atlanta is still a top 5 convention city.

I'm not sure what Atlanta you are talking about, but it isn't the one most of us live in and love.

You have a greater chance of being carjacked at a suburban mall than you do being accosted on a Downtown street.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
More people go to Downtown on an average weekday now more than any time in the history of the city. Between the workers, students, business people, tourists and convention attendees, there are generally over 200,000+ people Downtown on any given weekday.

On the weekends it can be thriving if there are games/concerts/park events scheduled.

Over 30 new restaurants & clubs have opened up in the last 18 months. New office, condo and hotel towers have gone up. They are in the process of renovating Macy's into a new shopping and dining destination. Downtown had the best office market in the City last year, and has some of the lowest occupancy rates. Atlanta is still a top 5 convention city.

I'm not sure what Atlanta you are talking about, but it isn't the one most of us live in and love.

You have a greater chance of being carjacked at a suburban mall than you do being accosted on a Downtown street.

I really do hope your right, it has been 2 years since I visited there ,but was at Varisty 6 months ago but didn't go into town.

Conventions are protected by the cops .

I'm just comparing it to 30 years ago . When very few if any shops were barred shut, now all are . When the streets were clean and no losers hanging out on street corners all night . It was once the most beautiful cities in the south, hope it is again someday.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:36 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
I really do hope your right, it has been 2 years since I visited there ,but was at Varisty 6 months ago but didn't go into town.

Conventions are protected by the cops .

I'm just comparing it to 30 years ago . When very few if any shops were barred shut, now all are . When the streets were clean and no losers hanging out on street corners all night . It was once the most beautiful cities in the south, hope it is again someday.
Every single city in the country has changed over the last 30 years, Atlanta certainly has no lock on that.

And it absolutely still is one of the most beautiful cities in the south, and always will be.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:39 PM

I will always love Atlanta it's where I grew up and it will always be special to me. Where all my relatives are buried and most still live within 50 miles of Atlanta .

But it has changed along with most everything . Maybe I compare it to too long ago when times were simpler .

Old 08-09-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Every single city in the country has changed over the last 30 years, Atlanta certainly has no lock on that.

And it absolutely still is one of the most beautiful cities in the south, and always will be.
Savannah is nicer.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:02 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
First I never even used the word "racist or racism". My post had nothing to do with racism. Thanks anyways Webster. My view comes from my experience throughout my life. Being the only white person in school and observing other individuals. I've sat through classes where the teachers have taught where slavery is in the heredity of a black person.

This book talks about how it's in the mind, spirit, and body of an African American. Breaking the Chains of Psychological Slavery. It's written by Na'im Akbar. It's a very eye opening book and I think if you read it you'll understand what I'm saying. I was taught in classes by teachers who taught on the history of African American heritage about this philosophy. It's not a matter of being racist. Because one, I never demonstrated an idea of how I would believe I was inferior or superior. This is you playing the race card just as I told how common it has become. I think playing a race card is a good demonstration of racism. I think you might want to reverse your argument toward yourself.

I sat in classes where the main goal was to hate on the rich white man.
Im not saying that there are not people who use race as a reason for all their misgivings.As far as what I said about racism,hw can you basically say that some negative thing is systemic in one race versus another.It is the fault of not only the black individuals who are not living up to their potential,but that also does not mean that that the mainstream society does not have a role in their attitudes at all.

Basically you sat in a classroom with this behavior and you concluded that because that what was taught in that class and a book you read,it must be the "normal attitude" of most black people.Now you cannot understand why any rational and logical person would conclude what you stated as racist?

For the record race card CAN be played when someone makes a statement attributed with just one race.So yes it is a race card to match the one YOU threw out there.The MAIN difference is from what i said versus what you said is that I accused YOU,not White PEOPLE..Nice try though.

With all honesty I can say that none of the black friends that I hang out with have such an attitude at all.I was raised with the idea that yes there is racism,but there is more opportunity.As a minority,especially black in this country it will always be something that we as black people will have to deal with from time to time.Just as you can catch a cold and get better,the same is true with racism.It slows you down,but you get over it and keep moving.Most blacks that are and have been In my life have always lived by that notion.Race card or not.I don't care how you want to call it,but when people like you say things like that,how do you expect anyone to do respond who has any shred of dignity.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im not saying that there are not people who use race as a reason for all their misgivings.As far as what I said about racism,hw can you basically say that some negative thing is systemic in one race versus another.
Because I don't get offended if someone calls me a "Cracker". Because black people believe they have all gone through slavery. White people do not believe this. That is how it can be in one race versus another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1
Basically you sat in a classroom with this behavior and you concluded that because that what was taught in that class and a book you read,it must be the "normal attitude" of most black people.Now you cannot understand why any rational and logical person would conclude what you stated as racist?
I see the same attitude everywhere I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by you
For the record race card CAN be played when someone makes a statement attributed with just one race.So yes it is a race card to match the one YOU threw out there.The MAIN difference is from what i said versus what you said is that I accused YOU,not White PEOPLE..Nice try though
I don't think you understand the "race card". The race card just means because of a certain event that occurs the end decision was racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta