Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Atlanta area, husband working in Norcross, homes with swim community, neighborhoods close to shopping, activities, restaurants, Dunwoody, Peachtree Corners, Northview High school district

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:29 PM

12 posts, read 28,653 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to the Atlanta area. His office would be in Norcross and I would work from home. We want an area that would have a failry manageable commute to Norcross and that has great schools. We also want a swim community with homes in the low $300s that is close to shopping/activities. Any suggestions for particular areas or subdivisions? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 08:58 PM

193 posts, read 693,143 times
Dunwoody

Old 08-27-2008, 04:52 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
In that price range, Dunwoody will be tough.

Peachtree Corners might be a possibility as well as a little North of there in unincorporated Norcross and Duluth. The Northview High School district is excellent-- though I don't know the price ranges there.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:12 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,740,176 times
Duluth could work too.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post

Peachtree Corners might be a possibility as well as a little North of there in unincorporated Norcross and Duluth. The Northview High School district is excellent-- though I don't know the price ranges there.
My first thought, too...and I don't think it's out of reach for the OP pricewise.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:02 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post

The AJC reports that Northview HS had the highest SAT scores this year. I think that is Fulton County? The test score articles are featured today at Atlanta News, Sports, Atlanta Weather, Business News | ajc.com

Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
The AJC reports that Northview HS had the highest SAT scores this year. I think that is Fulton County? The test score articles are featured today at Atlanta News, Sports, Atlanta Weather, Business News | ajc.com
Northview had the highest scores in Fulton I believe, but Walton High in Cobb had a higher score than Northview.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:33 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Northview had the highest scores in Fulton I believe, but Walton High in Cobb had a higher score than Northview.
Let's put all this in perspective, though.

Walton's scores were 562 in Reading, 580 in Math, and 555 in Writing, or 1697 total.

Meanwhile, the mean SAT score for the entire state of Minnesota (http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=85198 - broken link) for 2007-08 was 596 in Reading, 609 in Math, and 579 in Writing. That's 1784 total.

Assuming we're comparing apples and apples, Walton isn't very impressive.

Of course, the SAT is administered somewhat more selectively in MN due to the fact that most colleges in the area tend to focus on the ACT, so I suspect that has a rather large impact on the scores achieved.

For the record, I never bothered to take the SAT when I went to high school in MN. My ACT score was good enough for me to not care about it.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 PM

5 posts, read 28,269 times
Default Looking for the best areas of Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My first thought, too...and I don't think it's out of reach for the OP pricewise.
What are the best part of Atlanta .. low crime .. great neighbors and community - great for teens - relaxing for the elderly .. so I guess all in one

Old 08-27-2008, 06:25 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Let's put all this in perspective, though.

Walton's scores were 562 in Reading, 580 in Math, and 555 in Writing, or 1697 total.

Meanwhile, the mean SAT score for the entire state of Minnesota (http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=85198 - broken link) for 2007-08 was 596 in Reading, 609 in Math, and 579 in Writing. That's 1784 total.

Assuming we're comparing apples and apples, Walton isn't very impressive.

Of course, the SAT is administered somewhat more selectively in MN due to the fact that most colleges in the area tend to focus on the ACT, so I suspect that has a rather large impact on the scores achieved.

For the record, I never bothered to take the SAT when I went to high school in MN. My ACT score was good enough for me to not care about it.
Somewhat more selectively? According to the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune at More students in state taking advanced tests (http://www.startribune.com/local/27441469.html?elr=KArks7PYDiaK7DUoaK7D_V_eDc87DUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aUU - broken link)

Minnesota students graduating in 2008 also performed above the national average for SAT, which is taken by fewer than 10 percent of Minnesota high school graduates....

However, according to a Georgia newspaper at Ga. SAT scores drop for 2nd straight year

Still, Georgia also ranks low among states where the majority of students take the SAT. Georgia is eighth among the 10 states with 70 percent or higher participation rate on the test....

We're definitely not comparing apples and apples, here.

Posts commenting on the quality of metro Atlanta schools by people who don't have school-age children here just exasperate me. I'll try to be brief. Those of us from up north, with kids who actually attend public schools in the north Atlanta metro area, tend to be blown away by the high academic standards we encounter. It's not just me on this forum; there are several posters who mention this whenever the subject comes up.

My own child is getting a far superior education in Cobb County than her cousins in Canada - that's a country whose students handily outscore the US on international tests, and her cousins live in upscale areas where the schools are particularly good.

I was a top-scoring, national scholarship-winning student back in the "good old days" when educational standards in North America are generally thought to have been higher, but East Cobb schools are much demanding than anything I encountered in my school days. It's not just "busy work", either. Critical thinking is expected.

My kid is currently working with matrices - determinants, inverting, solving systems of linear equations etc. - as a high school freshman. This is in the accelerated stream of Georgia's new math curriculum. As the director of engineering at my workplace, a brilliant guy who was a math major at a prestigious northeastern college, observed "That was college freshman math in my day, 20 years ago. What are they expecting these kids to learn as college freshman? Complex Analysis?"

Obviously, rural Georgia must have some really terrible schools, in order for the state to be doing so poorly on high school graduation rate and other measures. This is a serious problem for the state. But all these posts from well-intentioned people who lack personal exposure to the school system, suggesting that schools like Walton are pretty terrible compared to schools up north....! Academically, Walton is one of the highest ranked public high schools in the country. That's the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta