Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,211 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Atlanta (Kennesaw) from Newport Beach, CA. I was under the impression from my realtor that the Atlanta Area is very similar to Southern California. Thus far, I have not found her claim to be true (unless her idea of Southern California is the IE). Anyone else recently transplanted from SoCal that can help me find some fun spots to hang out? Thanks. Chris Kopka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 03:56 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,508,446 times
Default What do you like to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKopka View Post
I recently moved to Atlanta (Kennesaw) from Newport Beach, CA. I was under the impression from my realtor that the Atlanta Area is very similar to Southern California. Thus far, I have not found her claim to be true (unless her idea of Southern California is the IE). Anyone else recently transplanted from SoCal that can help me find some fun spots to hang out? Thanks. Chris Kopka.
--You did look at a map before moving to GA didn't you---jk--Atlanta is not near an ocean.

I have read about SoCal--have a generic idea of what it might be like--more likely to find a resort atmosphere in other upscale areas.

I guess my best suggestion would be to go to Marietta--the Square and try to find out what is going on in Cobb County. Lots of things are going on in Cobb County--choose your interest. They have a lot of cultural events--Theater in the Square has been going for decades. Sports--all kinds. Civic groups---lots of civic groups in Marietta/Cobb.

I think people ride motorcycles--Harleys--around there. There are clubs for that. You might get some ideas from visiting --boortz.com---website of Neal Boortz--on air personality--Libertarian talk show host--WSB 750/AM. He loves to fly--talks about things that he does with the plane--lots of interest in aviation in Marietta/Kennesaw/Cobb--Dobbins Airforce Base and Lockheed have been there for decades.

Also--Kim Peterson--on air personality--afternoon drive time--WGST AM--I think 920 AM--loves motorcycles and talks about them a lot. He has a website--IIRC --Google for: 'The Kimmer', WGST, Atlanta GA.

ETA: 'The Kimmer'
Go Here>>>
http://www.kimmershow.com/ (broken link)

(Not my 'Cup of Tea'--but I don't think you really want to know where to go to shop or have a nice salad --LOL)

ETA:
Marietta Harley group--H.O.G.>>>
http://www.mariettahog.com/home/index.asp (broken link)

Lots of Civil War buffs in Kennesaw--if that is something that appeals to you.

In such a large city --networking--finding interest groups is important. Churches are good for that, too.

Best of Luck.

sls

Last edited by TakeAhike; 02-03-2007 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: Kimmer

Old 02-03-2007, 06:55 AM

I was curious --haven't traveled much in CA--I can understand why you are experiencing culture shock if you were used to this>>>
Balboa Beach>>>
http://www.balboapavilion.com/

Maybe one day Alpharetta and the vicinity will be more like this. I can't think of any area in the state of GA that could compare. Maybe Naples, FL.

Drive North and investigate the communities near Lake Alatoona--Cartersville and those areas. Must be some beautiful communities that are not well publicized.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:41 AM

465 posts, read 2,428,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKopka View Post
I'm trying to figure out exactly what your realtor was talking about. We don't even have a coastline here? Like SoCal in what on earthly way? I've been to SoCal about six times, and Georgia is a whole nother animal! I'm so sorry for you, I would love to move to California, but with one income, I know I'd be renting for the rest of my life. Although the California lifestyle embraces who I am completely, I can't even express that enough. Kennesaw like SoCal? I'm still trying to absorb that. I suggest you head to the east coast or somewhere in Florida, otherwise, figure out how to get back west. And for heaven's sake, always do your OWN reasearch before moving somewhere! Never listen to realtors!

Old 02-03-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Fwiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
I'm trying to figure out exactly what your realtor was talking about. We don't even have a coastline here? Like SoCal in what on earthly way? I've been to SoCal about six times, and Georgia is a whole nother animal! I'm so sorry for you, I would love to move to California, but with one income, I know I'd be renting for the rest of my life. Although the California lifestyle embraces who I am completely, I can't even express that enough. Kennesaw like SoCal? I'm still trying to absorb that. I suggest you head to the east coast or somewhere in Florida, otherwise, figure out how to get back west. And for heaven's sake, always do your OWN reasearch before moving somewhere! Never listen to realtors!
Jewel--

I can't imagine having the nerve to say something like that. She must have avoided Hwy 41 and the Big Chicken.

I don't think the Governor's mansion could compare to the estates of California. Maybe 'Sugar Hill' or wherever the superstars live compares???

Mansions are popping up all over the place.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:10 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,098,810 times
Quote:
I was under the impression from my realtor that the Atlanta Area is very similar to Southern California.
In what way?

Old 02-03-2007, 09:14 AM

32 posts, read 141,186 times
There are tons of ways that Atlanta is not like SoCal at all. In SoCal, there are tons of bike paths, trails, boardwalks etc, around every body of water, parks all over. You see people riding bikes everywhere, roller blading, jogging, just walking around. Mission Bay is a natural bay, and there's a complete ring of bike/walking trails all the way around it. Every planned community has fitness trails, bike paths, etc. It's part of the culture.

http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-rec...cilities.shtml

I'm looking at the Lake Windward area. Man made lake, meaning they had ample opportunity to build in whatever features they wanted, yet there is no trail anywhere in site. Just not a consideration to make a trail around a body of water for people to use.

Aside from the obvious stuff like an ocean, there's very little in common between SoCal and Atlanta. Just very different in virtually every way.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 7,211 times
Default Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback. I should clarify that I completely understand that the geography of this area is different from Newport Beach. I think the realtor was saying that the nightlife and culture of Atlanta is similar to SoCal. I am here to stay, so I will just keep looking and take some of your suggestions. Once I make some friends, etc. I am sure I will find lots of fun spots!! Thanks again. Chris Kopka.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:48 PM

702 posts, read 2,526,908 times
You won't find the culture of Atlanta in Kennesaw...the suburbs are fine and have many things to offer, but it sounds like the city if what you're looking for in terms of nightlife and fun. You might want to look online...here are a couple of places to start:

http://www.hiwassee.us/midtown/default.htm - a great reference site for midtown

www.atlantafestivals.com and www.dogwood.org - a couple of sites for festivals in the area...

http://www.trailexpress.com/silvercomet/maps.php (broken link) - The Silver Comet Trail is a major recreation area...there are others in the metro area too.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ - try this one for nightlife. It's not what it used to be in Atlanta, but it's still not bad...midtown, buckhead, virginia highland, etc...and there are lots of live music venues like the roxy, masquerade, eddie's attic, etc...

Old 02-03-2007, 03:40 PM

25 posts, read 84,806 times
Having lived 20 years in the OC and the last 3 in Atlanta, I can honestly say there is no similarity. None, nada, zip. It's certainly a scenic area and your CA money will go a long way, but it is very different. Not for me - I moved. If I had to do it over, I'd try the 'highlands' area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta