Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:23 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
So funny how much negativity this announcement has generated here. It's like telling a kid that just achieved something great that despite that he'll never amount to anything.
I'd rather see the money spent improving Atlanta's infrastructure and making it a more pleasant place to visit. Tall buildings are flashy, but are they really that important?

If course, I live OTP, so my opinion isn't really that meaningful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:28 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I'd rather see the money spent improving Atlanta's infrastructure and making it a more pleasant place to visit. Tall buildings are flashy, but are they really that important?

Well, give the developer a call and see if he's willing to give $200 million + to the city to repair infrastructure, rather than using it to build that tower. I'm thinking I already know what his answer will be....

Old 09-24-2008, 09:59 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Older established "international" cities will hold the reputation they have without "tall" architecture, but one of the sure fire ways for a city that hasn't been on that list to get noticed is with skyscrapers. Who would have ever considered Kuala Lumpur on any list before the Petronas Towers? Who would even know where Dubai is without the massive growth there? if they had spread the same square footage flat over the desert would it have made the impression it did by going upward?

So, agreed, there are other factors to be ranked "international" but if you have a skyscraper (or two or three) that ranks as one of the tallest in the world, it is an instant ticket to be considered for inclusion.
You're right to some degree (just so that you know...I'm all for a huge skyscraper in Midtown!).

My point is that Atlanta still needs to realize that it takes more than skyscrapers and huge airports to be international. What Atlanta needs...

-Comprehensive public transportation
-Monuments
-Public Art
-Urban Plazas
-More Parks
-Unique Museums/Gathering Places (relevant to Atlanta/American South)
-Making the city for residents (which makes any city appealing...ie. Chicago)
-Embracing it's unique history and character (trees/urban forest, Civil Right, Civil War, African-American culture, hip-hop/R+B/soul, Center/Capital of the American South, Southern culture)

That's it. I'm all for the 70-story tower!

Old 09-24-2008, 11:22 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
With the exception of planned national capitals financed by federal monies (think Brasilia, Canberra and still don't have them on the top of my list of "international" cities) a city has to have an economic engine to afford all the things listed above. Atlanta is definitely not on the scope of the major international cities in these areas, but is making strides. The greenbelt project being the best thing announced in my lifetime, just hope greedy developers don't hijack it and derail it.

A 70 story tower and the business associated with it is another cog in the wheel of moving Atlanta along economically. As Atlanta grows, there is wealth created to speed along these other projects. For those who would 'rather' see these things than a seventy story tower, I say the seventy story tower only helps to make those things a reality. This is definitely a both/and situation rather than an either/or.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:12 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
With the exception of planned national capitals financed by federal monies (think Brasilia, Canberra and still don't have them on the top of my list of "international" cities) a city has to have an economic engine to afford all the things listed above. Atlanta is definitely not on the scope of the major international cities in these areas, but is making strides. The greenbelt project being the best thing announced in my lifetime, just hope greedy developers don't hijack it and derail it.

A 70 story tower and the business associated with it is another cog in the wheel of moving Atlanta along economically. As Atlanta grows, there is wealth created to speed along these other projects. For those who would 'rather' see these things than a seventy story tower, I say the seventy story tower only helps to make those things a reality. This is definitely a both/and situation rather than an either/or.
Right, but also, a city needs to have the will, mindset, and public/political action to make the aforementioned things happen. Atlanta already has the "economic engine." Most places would kill to have our "motor."

Maybe the 70-story tower would augment the will, etc. to make more things happen here.

Funny, I lived in one of the planned capitals you mentioned for several years.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:49 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Well, give the developer a call and see if he's willing to give $200 million + to the city to repair infrastructure, rather than using it to build that tower. I'm thinking I already know what his answer will be....
Heheh. I guess if there's a developer wanting to spend the $$ and a viable market for such a building, it's probably just fine.

Perhaps the city can extract the infrastructure improvement money from the owners in the form of property taxes and utility charges.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:48 PM

34 posts, read 104,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You're right to some degree (just so that you know...I'm all for a huge skyscraper in Midtown!).

My point is that Atlanta still needs to realize that it takes more than skyscrapers and huge airports to be international. What Atlanta needs...

-Comprehensive public transportation
-Monuments
-Public Art
-Urban Plazas
-More Parks
-Unique Museums/Gathering Places (relevant to Atlanta/American South)
-Making the city for residents (which makes any city appealing...ie. Chicago)
-Embracing it's unique history and character (trees/urban forest, Civil Right, Civil War, African-American culture, hip-hop/R+B/soul, Center/Capital of the American South, Southern culture)

That's it. I'm all for the 70-story tower!
This city never emabraces any culture but black culture. Until it recognizes everyone else, no one will ever consider it 'international'.

Do you think the current administration would approve of moving the Cyclorama and bulduing a new Civil War museum in Centennial Olympic Park?

Also... celebrating Hip Hop? That has to be a joke. Lets build a museum dedicated to drugs, the degredation of women, and dropping out of school while we are at.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:00 PM

107 posts, read 183,534 times
Quote:

You have a point with that.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:30 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:

Oh, nonsense, rc...of course it is. I don't live within the city limits either, yet both of us should feel invested in what happens there. A building like the one proposed is a symbol of hope, and our future. That is not to say that you don't make important points about the 'nuts and bolts' of the city...that is IMO just as important.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:38 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, nonsense, rc...of course it is. I don't live within the city limits either, yet both of us should feel invested in what happens there. A building like the one proposed is a symbol of hope, and our future. That is not to say that you don't make important points about the 'nuts and bolts' of the city...that is IMO just as important.

At this point in time, prioritizing objectives is very important. We must ask ourselves, "What is the best utilization of our financial resources to attain realistic and obtainable economic goals?" One must also take into account that our financial resources are presently VERY FINITE AND LIMITED. These present dire circumstances alters the equation immensely. Whether we know it or not we are living in a different world, and we must wake up.

Do we value what's on the outside more than what's on the inside? In September of 2008, I think Atlanta's infrastructure deserves more attention than a 70-story building of polished granite, steel, and glass. In September of 2012, we may be looking at a different set of circumstances.

For the time being, let's fix what needs to be fixed and not dwell on the flashy and showy externals. Dreaming of nice, functional sewers, whatever, may not be the stuff dreams are made of but let's face reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta