Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:18 PM

481 posts, read 2,821,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The current population of Atlanta is 519,000.
Census Bureau says 442,887 here, which is the fact sheet from 2006.

The 2007 estimate, shown here, is 519,145.

Then over here, on the full 2007 sheet, they show Atlanta at 432,511.

This leads me to believe that... none of these values are probably correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 02:20 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post

Also, does anyone know the status on Tucker incorporation? I have not heard anything or a while.

The status is that it's been a topic of discussion and study for several years, mainly by the Tucker Civic Association. There was a preliminary feasability study which basically said "the boundaries of a City of Tucker must include Northlake Mall and the surrounding businesses/hotels, or it will probably not generate enough tax revenue to operate as a city".

To my knowledge, there is no formal effort in Tucker with the stated goal of becoming an incorporated city.

I get the feeling that, if it were an option, more Tucker residents would favor becoming a township than a city. Unfortunately, townships do not exist in Georgia (yet).

Old 11-12-2008, 02:20 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Although I totally agree that Sandy Springs, Druid Hills, Briarcliff, Brookhaven should be in Atlanta, the suburbanites living in those areas would not pass a referendum to join the city of Atlanta. The city still has a bad reputation with suburbanites as being ghetto, poor, and incompetent, even worse now due to the financial crisis. They also would probably not want to be in the APSchool system. Things have not changed too much since the 70's - in 1972 Atlanta tried to annex Sandy Springs and 95% voted "no". IF Atlanta gets its financials in order and continues to diversify, it could improve its reputation and perhaps those residents would allow annexation.

On Buckhead, it wont happen. But what those people need to realize is that if Buckhead adds a few more condo towers, it will control a huge weight in terms of mayoral elections. If they don't like the way things are going in Atlanta, they need to vote a mayor they approve of! Someone needs to start a "Vote, Buckhead!" campaign.

Also, does anyone know the status on Tucker incorporation? I have not heard anything or a while.
I know...and that's so unfortunate!

Old 11-12-2008, 02:27 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Census Bureau says 442,887 here, which is the fact sheet from 2006.

The 2007 estimate, shown here, is 519,145.

Then over here, on the full 2007 sheet, they show Atlanta at 432,511.

This leads me to believe that... none of these values are probably correct.
I don't think that an estimate is usually published if there isn't something to support it. The 519,000 figure is widely accepted as LAST YEAR'S Atlanta population, and living in Atlanta it's easy to believe that the city has grown at least that much. Whatever though...Buckhead isn't going to become its own city - that idea is in the past.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I don't think that an estimate is usually published if there isn't something to support it. The 519,000 figure is widely accepted as LAST YEAR'S Atlanta population, and living in Atlanta it's easy to believe that the city has grown at least that much. Whatever though...Buckhead isn't going to become its own city - that idea is in the past.
Well, the estimates can be challenged, because they are estimates, there's a public link on that Census Page. The fact sheets are actually based on people collecting data. But either way, whatever. Surely by official 2010 Census Atlanta will be far beyond 500k.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:10 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Who would challenge a HIGHER number? Like I said, whatever...the population of Atlanta as far as I'm concerned and most everyone you might ask is 519,000.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Personally, I think the whole metro should be within Atlanta city limits, which would be spread across a couple of counties. Central Fulton and Dekalb would be the central county, the northern suburbs would be another, the western suburbs another, the eastern suburbs another, and the southern suburbs another, and beyond that they can keep it the way it is. And the city itself could just be split into districts that correspond with the current locations (Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter, Alpharetta, Marietta, Cumberland, etc.).

Obviously, that's not going to happen, but that's what a normal metro is like...
That what some normal metros are like.

I agree that there can be some advantages to having the suburbs all be incorporated cities so they have a certain amount of local autonomy (that works very well in the Twin Cities, a metro area of 3.5 million, and the taxes up there are not that dissimilar to taxes here).

However, putting everything in one basket makes me pause, especially given the City of Atlanta's recent history of having a government which can't seem to do a number of things correctly.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:25 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Smyrna, Power Springs, Mableton (which would become a city) would be expanded and fill up all of South Cobb.
Don't forget Austell. As far as I'm concerned they can keep their current boundaries.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Don't forget Austell. As far as I'm concerned they can keep their current boundaries.
Yeah, I did forget Austell. I even a had a lingering feeling I was forgetting something when I typed that post....

Old 11-12-2008, 03:47 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

However, putting everything in one basket makes me pause, especially given the City of Atlanta's recent history of having a government which can't seem to do a number of things correctly.
Agreed and runs counter to the concept of home rule. Frankly, if I wanted to live inside the city limits of Atlanta, I would have moved there. Why do people insist on pushing this feel good concept of a mega-urban area? There are many reasons that I would not want to join the City of Atlanta, with the quality of schools and higher taxes being just a couple.

The suburbs are not evil, and people choose to move there for a reason. No one forces you to move to the suburbs. Cities like Sandy Springs and Dunwoody are created because people want more local control, not less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta