Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:19 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,110,034 times

Advertisements

With Peachtree Corners incorporating, it's time for an update on metro Atlanta cityhood movements. One thing Peachtree Corners has shown is that an incorporation movement can be successful in an area where there is not as much animosity towards the county as there was in DeKalb and Fulton. Peachtree Corners' "city-lite" model may be followed by communities in Cobb, such as East Cobb and Vinings, who don't have a problem with the county, but still want more control over development.

DEKALB
City of Tucker - The proposal for a city of Tucker has been tabeled. I don't see much momentum for this area to ever incorporate.

City of Brookhaven - Moving forward. Feasibility study has been released showing that Brookhaven could incorporate, offer the same services as Dunwoody, and STILL have a surplus. I suspect there will be a referendum on this next year that will pass overwhelmingly.

Study concludes Brookhaven would work *| ajc.com

Boundaries: I-285/Dunwoody to the north, Chamblee on the east (basically Clairmont Road and Chamblee-Dunwoody Road), I-85 on the south, and Atlanta/Sandy Springs/Fulton County on the west.

City of Toco Hills/Briarcliff/North Druid Hills - Mike Jacobs, the sponsor of Brookhaven cityhood, has floated the idea of incorporating the remainder of North DeKalb (north of Decatur and Avondale Estates) if Brookhaven passes. It was also mentioned in the Brookhaven AJC article linked to above:

Quote:
Already, neighborhood groups in Tucker, Toco Hills and Stonecrest have floated the idea of cityhood.
COBB
Vinings: Maybe once the economy improves and Vinings is targeted for more high-density development. They would have to include Cumberland to be viable, though.

East Cobb: I don't really see this happening unless Cobb County goes the way of DeKalb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta