Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2010, 08:36 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
Atlanta and Charlotte offer nice, low cost living for families. That's their draw. Anyone who wants a true urban experience would not live in either city.

My point simply addresses those who suggest that Atlanta is "more of a city" than Charlotte. It's not. Like Charlotte, it's an overgrown suburb (excluding the slums that both cities have).

It's not snobbery to recognize the truth.
You also accuse other posters on this thread of something they never asserted...that the downtowns of the cities under scrutiny here are comparable to NYC, SF, et al. But to take a ridiculously broad brush to Atlanta, calling it an 'overgrown suburb' with no 'serious museums' (Not sure what is so 'unserious' about the High), is missing the target by a mile.
I lived in NYC; my DH, in SF. We love our life here in Atlanta, as do legions of others...I wouldn't go back, except to visit. I don't why the 'Density-Diversity' wags can't just accept this and leave us alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 09:59 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You also accuse other posters on this thread of something they never asserted...that the downtowns of the cities under scrutiny here are comparable to NYC, SF, et al. But to take a ridiculously broad brush to Atlanta, calling it an 'overgrown suburb' with no 'serious museums' (Not sure what is so 'unserious' about the High), is missing the target by a mile.
I lived in NYC; my DH, in SF. We love our life here in Atlanta, as do legions of others...I wouldn't go back, except to visit. I don't why the 'Density-Diversity' wags can't just accept this and leave us alone.
While I don't agree with LondonLawyer at all (I've seen him stirring up trouble on the Charlotte forums too), I don't see the problem in wanting to improve the urban core of Atlanta - making the core parts of Midtown, Downtown, and Buckhead safe, pedestrian friendly, vibrant urban centers - while at the same time preserving our "leafy", green neighborhoods that people cherish here.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:03 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
While I don't agree with LondonLawyer at all (I've seen him stirring up trouble on the Charlotte forums too), I don't see the problem in wanting to improve the urban core of Atlanta - making the core parts of Midtown, Downtown, and Buckhead safe, pedestrian friendly, vibrant urban centers - while at the same time preserving our "leafy", green neighborhoods that people cherish here.
I don't think you'll find anyone here will disagree with you.

As far as I can see, this exact thing is underway - and has been for a while now.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I totally agree with you, Mike...isn't that what our common aim is, anyway? I would like to see city government a more active participant towards this goal in future.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:39 AM

338 posts, read 897,431 times
My point was quite simple: Those who claim that Atlanta is more cosmopolitan than Charlotte are delusional. Both cities are huge suburbs. Neither is cosmopolitan.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
My point was quite simple: Those who claim that Atlanta is more cosmopolitan than Charlotte are delusional. Both cities are huge suburbs. Neither is cosmopolitan.
To say that a city of almost 6 million people is not cosmopolitan sounds pretty delusional to me. You really should stick to what you know.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:24 AM

338 posts, read 897,431 times
A large population hardly makes a place cosmopolitan, especially when the vast majority of the population lives in suburbs.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:39 AM

625 posts, read 1,149,454 times
A city center where everyone walks around with their pants around their knees isn't what I'd call cosmopolitan either.

My vote goes to Charlotte.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
A large population hardly makes a place cosmopolitan, especially when the vast majority of the population lives in suburbs.
So how is it possible to have suburbs with an urban center to sustain it? That in itself makes no sense.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
A city center where everyone walks around with their pants around their knees isn't what I'd call cosmopolitan either.

My vote goes to Charlotte.
And how is life under the bridge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta