Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2007, 08:29 AM

8 posts, read 26,296 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I am new to this forum and would be grateful for some advice. I am moving to the Atlanta area in a couple of months with my husband and two small children (oldest is 3). I will be working in the Emory University area. We are planning on renting initially since time is short and we don't know Atlanta at all. Does anyone know of any nice, newer rental communities in safe areas within 30-40 minutes or so of Emory? Ideally we'd have 3 bedrooms and access to some green space. We're hoping to pay $1500 or less per month in rent, and have a short term lease (6 months). I've seen a couple of Windsor communities in the Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area that look ok online.

Once we're ready to buy, does anyone have any input about the commute from Fayetteville or Peachtree City to the Emory U. area? From other posts I've read here, these sound like nice, fairly affordable family-oriented communities, but are pretty far from the city.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 08:52 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
If you're going to be working near Emory I think it would be a big mistake to live anywhere other than the north-east side of town. If you live in P'tree City or Fayettville, downtown Atlanta will be standing between your home and your work. That's a BIG obstacle that you'll have to deal with twice each workday. That will be very unpleasant for you.

I know this board is practically a Fayetteville/Peachtree City fan-club website, but believe it or not there are other places to live. I don't know what your price range is, but you could consider Candler Park, Druid Hills, Decatur, Inman Park, Virginia-Highland, Toco Hill, Brookhaven or a bit farther out (but still close to Emory), Tucker/Northlake.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the input...I'm pretty sure our budget won't permit buying a house "ITP," since $350K is our max and we want to stick to post-1980 construction. My other concern is the quality of most of the public schools in those areas. What about Roswell and Alpharetta?

Old 03-10-2007, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,710 times
Default Emory Area

You are wise to rent before buying. Regardless of what anyone tells you, you need to get familiar with the Emory area and communities around Atlanta. There are many "safe" & "fairly affordable family-oriented communities" closer to Emory. The GA Public Schools districts near Emory are rated very high. As far as traffic and distance between Emory and where you live, any community outside of I-285 will present a traffic nightmare.
There are several areas, intown, nearer to Emory than Sandy Springs, Peachtree City, Fayetteville, Alpharetta (horrific drive)I would suggest that you look in Candler Park, Druid Hills, Decatur, Inman Park, Virginia-Highland, Toco Hill, Brookhaven and lower you standards a little on your home construction post-1980.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:12 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedoc181 View Post
any community outside of I-285 will present a traffic nightmare.
Not true.

Tucker is the first town outside of the perimeter on the NE side. Tucker to Emory is a 10-15 minute drive (from the Brockett part of Tucker), and the only part that gets heavy traffic is the short stretch of highway 78 between the Brockett Road on-ramp and the I-285 exit ramp. It takes me about one minute to get passed that stretch (I enter 78 at Brockett and rarely have trouble merging through the folks trying to get on 285). Three minutes in the worst case scenario.

There are post-1980 houses in Tucker (as well as older houses) under $350K, and the schools are good.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:57 AM

Thanks, JPD and Homedoc181. I'll check out those areas you've suggested. My husband and I love older homes--but we had a previous lead poisoning scare with one of our kids, which is the rationale for limiting ourselves to houses built more recently.

Does anyone have any advice on renting in the Atlanta metro area--specifically, corporate-type, short-term renting? I don't know if actual community names can be posted on this forum, but any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta