Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 04:12 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,686 times

Advertisements

Would people in clayton be willing to pay the one cent sales tax that MARTA has in Fulton Dekalb and the City of Atlanta. I would be willing to pay. I wonder why MARTA went to Gwinnett that is not a really transit friendly county.

I think clayton residents would pay that a large population of ex urban people wouldnt mine paying a extra penny for some cigs to have good transit that MARTA has that live in its boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 04:20 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
I'd pay it if it's only a 1 cent tax on some things.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:32 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Clayton might look at the current issues involved with Fulton and Dekalb paying into MARTA and say "no way" for the time being. The 1-cent Sales tax is nowhere near enough to pay for MARTA, especially since people aren't buying anything right now. Maybe when a new transportation-oriented Governor gets into office...

Old 03-14-2009, 08:32 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Clayton might look at the current issues involved with Fulton and Dekalb paying into MARTA and say "no way" for the time being. The 1-cent Sales tax is nowhere near enough to pay for MARTA, especially since people aren't buying anything right now. Maybe when a new transportation-oriented Governor gets into office...
Clayton already has C-Tran which is owned and operated by MARTA (if I'm correct), so what's the big deal with just calling it what it is, MARTA? I need to read up more on it.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Clayton already has C-Tran which is owned and operated by MARTA (if I'm correct), so what's the big deal with just calling it what it is, MARTA? I need to read up more on it.
That was back in 2001 before Clayton County officially dubbed it C-Tran. But except for a couple of peripheral routes and linkages, I don't think MARTA has any significant coverage in Clayton county OR control over C-Tran, if at all. But then again, I could be mistakened.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:16 AM

840 posts, read 2,086,686 times
LEt me clarify what I mean yes MARTA has operating rights to clayton C-tran but other than that the bus system hear is really lackluster if you read the ajc about the bus system here. The buses are overcrowded and there are not enough to support the ridership. (a goal that every bus system wants). I was saying that if MARTA was to have full control of the bus system here than the people wouldnt mine paying a extrs penny for stuff at the stores.

Clayton has almost 300,000 people a extra penny every day with that may help out MARTA some.

Question? Is there a way for the residents of the county to Lobby for MARTA to put the sales tax issue of the ballot nex election time?

Old 03-14-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Question? Is there a way for the residents of the county to Lobby for MARTA to put the sales tax issue of the ballot nex election time?
I would say that anything is possible. The question should be: how far are the Clayton County voters or at the least the bus riding ones willing to go to advocate for the one-cent sales tax? From what I heard, Clayton County is still in a transitional state and people who tend to move around lot do not make for a good stable voting base.

If I am wrong on this then maybe contacting Chairman Eldrin Bell, any of the Clayton County commissioners, the state reps. & Senators who respresent Clayton would be a good place to start. The more big names one can add to a coalition, the better. After all, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: