Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Atlanta's Glory Days Coming to an End?
Yes 27 41.54%
No 38 58.46%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:48 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
And the key thing to remember...and it has already been mentioned by johnatl and by myself in other threads...is that is the de-facto Capital of the American South. It is the economic, transportation, cultural, communications, spiritual, etc. hub of a mega-region that in a lot of ways functions like a country. This is something Atlanta has over other Sunbelt cities like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Dallas, Houston, and Charlotte.

Atlanta will always see growth...
When did Atlanta become the capital of the south. I think I missed something here. Maybe the southeast and thats a big maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 01:53 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
When did Atlanta become the capital of the south. I think I missed something here. Maybe the southeast and thats a big maybe.
Back in the 60's is pretty much when things were "set."

Where have you been?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:04 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,455 times
lol, it's true. Atlanta's sphere of influence (where it is seen as the "big city" goes north to North Carolina, South to North Florida, West to Alabama or Mississipii and east all the way to the GA coast I suppose. This area is known as the traditional, or deep south

Old 03-18-2009, 02:12 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
The argument you guys are making sounds a lot like the argument people made that houses will always appreciate (we see how trend continued). Just because something has been a certain way is no guarantee that it will continue that way. Things are RADICALLY changing in this nation. One can no longer predict based upon extrapolation.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 03-18-2009 at 02:26 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 PM

http://www.commoncensus.org/maps/national_640.gif

this map is pretty cool. I think atlanta's sphere if influence is even larger. Keep in mind that from Atlanta one has to travel 10 hours north to DC, 10 hours south to Miami, or 15 hours west to Houston to find a metro of similar size

Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Here they come........

Old 03-18-2009, 02:19 PM

these damn posters from other cities that wanna steal our thunder, laughable

Old 03-18-2009, 02:20 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
Most people consider the South to be the Southeast and of that, Atlanta is the major metro.

Miami is very comparable to size and influence, but is more a specific focus as a gateway to Central/South America etc and for tourism and as a significant coastal city, but as an overall business city in this region, Atlanta would be the leader.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:23 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
This is what one poster said about Atlanta:
I didn't think my post from another thread would have that much impact for this thread. I was just telling what I know from my experience.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:26 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,264 times
The biggest investment Atlanta could make right now would be in the arts/creative industry. If we do that, we will see young kids from everywhere flocking into the core city area.

Film
Music
Night Entertainment

We're doing well right now with music as we're the place big artists choose to go for performances and they choose us over Miami many times... and then the local music scene is nationally known too.

Film we're making strides too with State grants and the Perry studios.

With Night entertainment though, I think the city has hits head up its arse. In the past 5 years I've lived here I've seen nightlife dwindle considerably in favor of development.

What these city leaders don't understand is that if they don't act on this point then young people and entertainment business owners will leave Atlanta and the in-town will be stagnant. I understand private development forces are at work, but I feel it's the city's job to offer better incentives to bar/club owners so they can REMAIN in business. We need to stop letting these snobby in-town neighborhoods dictate how everything should be... they only care about their property value, and young people don't live in these neighborhoods. But I can GUARANTEE you the young people who can't afford these in-town homes bring in much much more money into the city( IN FACT, i will go out on a limb and say that young people MAKE this city as far as in-town).

It's kinda stupid too, you look at the streets of buckhead and a lot of the condo dwellers who moved there for the nighlife will move elsewhere when they open up these high end stores... here's another example of the power that these in-town snobs have... We'll just have to see if the economy of the area is improved... I may be overreacting about the SOB, but still the whole thing sucks.

Last edited by blondandfun; 03-18-2009 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta