Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:14 PM

426 posts, read 1,446,792 times

Advertisements

With a rottie this goes beyond people "liking the breed" and deciding to keep the dog versus returning it to its owner. As another poster said, a rottie on the lose is likely to get snatched up for fighting or baiting if their temperment is not suitable for fighting. This means that the person that ends up with this dog is not some general resident, but a CRIMINAL. And the type of criminal you are more likely to find in Vine City than in Vinings (there are just as many criminals in Vinings, mind you, just different kinds). If I lost my poodle in Vine City, I wouldn't be any more upset than if I lost it in any other neighborhood. My rottweiler would be a different story. I hope the OP will report if they get their dog back, I hope they do.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:04 PM

4 posts, read 8,084 times
Default Problem solved

First of all, thanks for the rep points and thanks to everyone who stood up for me against the PC Police. What a ludicrous day and age where we can't openly discuss reality without someone with too much time on his hands getting upset. And, of course, thanks for all of the suggestions. I know that to an outsider it can appear silly to invest so much energy into finding a lost pet, but hey, dogs are special.

We got a phone call two days after the dog was lost. I figure there are two possibilities:

1. I find it strange that it took almost 48 hours for the pup to be "discovered" literally 20 feet from where we last saw him. They might have tried to keep him and then realized that his incessant indoor ****ting and the cost of feeding him were just too much. Not to mention the $200 reward dangling in front of everyone's nose.

[funny side note: The family that returned him had a little boy who asked us, "How did a white dog end up in a black neighborhood?"]

2. OR it is possible that he spent two days hiding under cars and porches to get away from the rain and from strangers. He HAD lost a lot of weight.

It could be either, and the family seemed very nice, so I'm not going to make any assumptions. Whatever the case, we were ecstatic to get him back, and I guess the most important lesson learned here is to hold onto that leash as tightly as possible in the future.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:10 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times
It isn't the "pc police"...this is simply a matter of stereotyping people who live in Vine City. You must agree that you did make the assumption that people in that neighborhood would be easily swayed into keeping a lost dog that isn't theirs. I don't live in Vine City, but it rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe you could have been a little more tactful in your explanation - I don't know...but it's not like the people who are offended are just too sensitive.

I understand the anguish. I would die if something similar happened to my baby, and I would do everything possible to find her. There was just really no need to assume the worst about people.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
Congrats to doglover for getting their dog back - good news in a time when the news is filled with bad stuff.

Since there has been a (happy) ending to the post, and, since a few folks have decided to spend more time arguing about post content, it's now a closed topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: