Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 05:38 AM

281 posts, read 617,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
The only place you will really find Japanese in large numbers is Los Angeles. Even San Fran and NYC dont really have that many Japanese.
Why would a Japanese person want to move to this county when they face legalized racial discrimination? They can study harder than anyone else and still be passed over by admissions based on their skin color. It's a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 11:20 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Im not sure about Detroit or MSP.
The Twin Cities has a fairly sizable Hmong population, but I have no feel for its actual size. This article seems to think the number is 27,000.

Many fear Hmong culture is fading away | Twin Cities Daily Planet | Minneapolis - St. Paul

Old 10-28-2009, 01:21 PM

895 posts, read 2,366,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
Why would a Japanese person want to move to this county when they face legalized racial discrimination? They can study harder than anyone else and still be passed over by admissions based on their skin color. It's a fact.
My skin color is white (click my profile and you can see my picture), what does that have to do with anything? As for admission i will have my degree by the time I possibly move to Atlanta. Or do you mean for jobs?

Old 10-28-2009, 01:32 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
My skin color is white (click my profile and you can see my picture), what does that have to do with anything? As for admission i will have my degree by the time I possibly move to Atlanta. Or do you mean for jobs?
Are you trying to go to a place where there are lots of Japanese or just a cool city thats fun?

If its the former, only Los Angeles will do. Maybe in a pinch Chicago or NYC.

If its the later, Atlanta would be a great fit!

Old 10-28-2009, 03:17 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
Don't forget the great state of Hawaii! Although, there are some crazies out there that don't think that Hawaii is a state and Obama is a foreigner.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:26 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Don't forget the great state of Hawaii! Although, there are some crazies out there that don't think that Hawaii is a state and Obama is a foreigner.
Ohhh...man I HATE it when I do that!

I hate it when I forget that Hawaii is the most Japanese place in the US. I keep thinking it isnt a part of the US.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:13 PM

895 posts, read 2,366,587 times
Quote:
Are you trying to go to a place where there are lots of Japanese or just a cool city thats fun?

If its the former, only Los Angeles will do. Maybe in a pinch Chicago or NYC.

If its the later, Atlanta would be a great fit!
Alot of japanese is not why I would move anywhere, otherwise I will just stay in Japan (which I probably will but Ive been watching Atlanta for years and I like the progress being made). The only city I will consider living in the US is atlanta. I like the climate, hills, trees and I will visit atlanta again maybe around 2012 to see how the beltline is going and see if the street cars are any good. I've visited Atlanta twice already. Having a large japanese population just makes it easier to move and adjust to something new.

Hawaii is 12.6% Japanese and 13.6% filipino but theres so many Japanese tourists it makes it feel like theres more japanese.

P.S. The only other city I like is NYC but its too cold for me.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:00 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Alot of japanese is not why I would move anywhere, otherwise I will just stay in Japan (which I probably will but Ive been watching Atlanta for years and I like the progress being made). The only city I will consider living in the US is atlanta. I like the climate, hills, trees and I will visit atlanta again maybe around 2012 to see how the beltline is going and see if the street cars are any good. I've visited Atlanta twice already. Having a large japanese population just makes it easier to move and adjust to something new.

Hawaii is 12.6% Japanese and 13.6% filipino but theres so many Japanese tourists it makes it feel like theres more japanese.

As an Atlanta resident,I and among others welcome you to Atlanta or wherever you decide in the U.S.I only know two Japanese people.They date each other.One is a Japanese American.I'm not sure he even speaks Japanese.I have MANY Korean and Chinese friends here though.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:20 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:

It's good to see that I'm not the only Japanese that likes Atlanta. One person has told me that it is wierd that I'm half-Japanese but I'd rather live in Atlanta than San Diego, since ALL Japanese are supposed to love California. That statement was out of stereotypical thinking and ignorance.

If you do move to Atlanta and want to live where there is a large Japanese community (by Atlanta standards), I would look into Peachtree City. I have heard good things about there, that it is relatively quiet and safe, and it's been ranked among the top communities to live in the United States. The only downside is that you'll need a car there, since public transit doesn't really run in that part of the metro area. In that case, you'll be better of in the city of Atlanta or at least Fulton County.

Peachtree City, GA - Official Website

Peachtree City, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Btw, my other favorite city in the U.S. is Seattle, hence my user name .

Old 10-29-2009, 06:48 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
It's good to see that I'm not the only Japanese that likes Atlanta. One person has told me that it is wierd that I'm half-Japanese but I'd rather live in Atlanta than San Diego, since ALL Japanese are supposed to love California. That statement was out of stereotypical thinking and ignorance.

If you do move to Atlanta and want to live where there is a large Japanese community (by Atlanta standards), I would look into Peachtree City. I have heard good things about there, that it is relatively quiet and safe, and it's been ranked among the top communities to live in the United States. The only downside is that you'll need a car there, since public transit doesn't really run in that part of the metro area. In that case, you'll be better of in the city of Atlanta or at least Fulton County.

Peachtree City, GA - Official Website

Peachtree City, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Btw, my other favorite city in the U.S. is Seattle, hence my user name .
PTC is great as you mentioned,but she is young and I think single.I'm not sure she will exactly love it there.At least not to live but visit.Its BORING.LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta