Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:51 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,623 times

Advertisements

Here is a link from the Fayette Citizen about a transportation meeting held recently:

Transportation planners hear residents: Keep Fayette rural | The Citizen Online (http://www.thecitizen.com/~citizen0/node/35813 - broken link)

This is one of the things that gets me about the Atlanta suburbs (well the outer suburbs anyway). Though there were a few in favor of commuter rail and other mass transit options, the majority were against it (my brother who is an urban planning major was at the meeting as part of his research). Many other metro areas of similar size already have or are in the process of building commuter rail networks. The whole "mass transit brings crime" argument is one of the weakest I've heard. Look at places like San Diego and Portland which have public transit networks and very low crime rates. I only hope that in the future, we can get these NIMBY views to change!

So what is does everyone else think of expanding mass transit and commuter rail to the suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 02:54 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
We should have started 10 years ago......

Old 03-25-2009, 03:00 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
So what is does everyone else think of expanding mass transit and commuter rail to the suburbs?
I love the idea as long as the financing and other planning elements make sense, and I think Cobb County could derive significant benefits from a few well-placed rail lines.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:08 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Barring a technological breakthrough, electric powered rail is the future of transit in petroleum poor America. Atlanta is the hub of many mainline tracks that could be electrified and provide interurban commuter service.
Eventually, rail will return - there's no competition when it comes to fuel efficiency, resource consumption, and capacity.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Barring a technological breakthrough, electric powered rail is the future of transit in petroleum poor America. Atlanta is the hub of many mainline tracks that could be electrified and provide interurban commuter service.
Eventually, rail will return - there's no competition when it comes to fuel efficiency, resource consumption, and capacity.
My next door neighbor grew up here (she is in her 70's).

She tells me when she was a girl, it was possible to go from Marietta all the way to Stone Mountain using interurbans/streetcars.

Sigh......

Old 03-25-2009, 03:24 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,993 times
SOrry to say but people in Fayette County are really stupid I never seen anybody carrying a flat screen and a desktop computer on a bus or train it really makes no since to me about mass transit attracting crime. its perplexing how people in the modern times can be so dumb and ignorant

ANd I think that Commuter rail would work great in the metro area it work great in cities like DC and San Fran and Philly Metro area about the same size as us

Last edited by Mgyeldell; 03-25-2009 at 03:33 PM..

Old 03-25-2009, 03:34 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Here is a link from the Fayette Citizen about a transportation meeting held recently:

Transportation planners hear residents: Keep Fayette rural | The Citizen Online (http://www.thecitizen.com/~citizen0/node/35813 - broken link)

This is one of the things that gets me about the Atlanta suburbs (well the outer suburbs anyway). Though there were a few in favor of commuter rail and other mass transit options, the majority were against it (my brother who is an urban planning major was at the meeting as part of his research). Many other metro areas of similar size already have or are in the process of building commuter rail networks. The whole "mass transit brings crime" argument is one of the weakest I've heard. Look at places like San Diego and Portland which have public transit networks and very low crime rates. I only hope that in the future, we can get these NIMBY views to change!

I used to buy into the arguement that public transportation brings "those" people into nicer areas but since 75% of metro Atlanta is one big ghetto that arguement no longer applies. I mean seriously look at the ridiculous crime that now happens in places like Stockbridge, Lawrenceville, Conyers, Acworth, etc.... NONE of these places have public transportation!

Old 03-25-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
but since 75% is one big ghetto that arguement no longer applies to Atlanta.
Uh, what?

If you are implying that 75% of the metro is ghetto, you have serious issues.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:40 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Uh, what?

If you are implying that 75% of the metro is ghetto, you have serious issues.
Sorry more like 80%!

Old 03-25-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Sorry more like 80%!
You would probably be happier in Montana or Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta