Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 11:44 AM

90 posts, read 329,645 times

Advertisements

Do affordable Decent = low crime, decent schools, and a considerable African American working- or middle-class community.

A big thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 11:56 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times
There are a few apartment complexes on Cascade Road and Fairburn Road immediately near Cascade Road area outside of 285 that fit what your looking for with a solid school district, concerned parents and good shopping and retail in the area. You should be able to find a special for that rate @ the apartments in that area.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
There are a few apartment complexes on Cascade Road and Fairburn Road immediately near Cascade Road area outside of 285 that fit what your looking for with a solid school district, concerned parents and good shopping and retail in the area. You should be able to find a special for that rate @ the apartments in that area.
I just checked Google Maps (I'm not in Georgia at the moment), and please to see how close the Fairburn/Cascade area is to downtown. I'm not big on driving, so I was also glad to see the many MARTA stops that'll take you into downtown.

I've heard about East Point being pretty cool. Any opinions? By the way, I don't have to be in an all-/mostly-black neighborhood. I just don't want to be the only black family on the block....I don't even want to be one of a small handful of black family. I can stay here for that.

I'm in the SF Bay Area right now, where we're less than 10% of the regional population (Yes, there's a city or two with large AA populations here in the Bay, but the quality of life pales in comparison - no oxymoronic pun intended - to AA neighborhoods in the Atlanta area.); and we're less than 4% in the city where we reside. To say it's not cool here would be an understatement......

Old 06-14-2009, 02:13 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
I think there are apt complexes in the area Atlantasfinest mentioned. It's a very nice area, and there are houses and neighborhoods to die for. We are still trying to make up our minds where we will buy our next house. It's between that area (or Alpharetta ) because of proximity to my wife's job. I would focus on the area, the schools, proximity from work instead of race of who lives there.

I can understand your concerns. Being in a good neighborhood should be priority number one, instead of what color lives there. I do understand your concerns though. Just make sure the residents reflect your values and education level more than anything else. You may move to an all black neighborhood and not be happy with the people there, and vice versa.
My wife and I have not made up our mind as to where we are going to buy our house. Similar issues come to mind when we discuss where we're going to buy.

I understand you. The area mentioned is a very nice area though. Try rent.com and see if you can find what you are looking for.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:55 PM

Thanks MisterNY and Atlantasfinest. What you've both said is truly helpful. I'll be spending this week researching that area for sure.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:05 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times
The Cascade area is going to be the best bet with your price range and desire to be close to the Marta Rail (H.E. Holmes on the West line of the Marta is your closest station about a 5 minute drive from Cascade and 285) and having decent schools, shopping and a nice neighborhood with good people around you. I think you'll love the area.

I don't think East Point inside of 285 would fit what your looking for. The good thing about the area of Cascade Road where the apartments are located is that there aren't that many and they are surrounded by more single family housing and nice quiet subdivisions. Good Luck.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:54 PM

550 posts, read 1,637,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tind View Post
By the way, I don't have to be in an all-/mostly-black neighborhood. I just don't want to be the only black family on the block....I don't even want to be one of a small handful of black family. I can stay here for that.

I'm in the SF Bay Area right now, where we're less than 10% of the regional population (Yes, there's a city or two with large AA populations here in the Bay, but the quality of life pales in comparison - no oxymoronic pun intended - to AA neighborhoods in the Atlanta area.); and we're less than 4% in the city where we reside. To say it's not cool here would be an understatement......
This is precisely why my husband and I are planning to move our family back to Atlanta next year, in Minnesota any predominantly AA community is da hood. We want our children to grow up having the examples of more than the handful of successful of AA families we know here in Minnesota who are doing well - at least decently - for themselves.

My husband wants to live in a community where he doesn't constantly feel like he has to "prove himself" simply due to the color of his skin... he's lived like that for going on 18 years here in Minnesota and he's had enough of it.

If we were going to stay in Minnesota, at this point we'd seek out an AA church - which we haven't thought to do in the past - just for the community for my husband [we are a bi-racial couple] but at about the same time my husband started realizing he'd been "trying to prove himself" all these years here in Minnesota, we made the decision to move back to ATL as soon as it was feasible to do so - June of 2010 looks like our window of opportunity to make the move.

We have decided on the West End neighborhood, which is a transitional neighborhood ripe for urban renewal. We feel this neighborhood is the best investment option for us, looking forward 15-20 years, and it's close proximity to downtown, MARTA, Cascade Rd, and it's Intown location on the beltline project are all appealing to us - as are the 1920s housing stock in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta