Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 07:29 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Checkmate
Except that if you compare Smyrna to Cobb County as a whole it doesn't look nearly as good as comparing it to the state as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 07:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Except that if you compare Smyrna to Cobb County as a whole it doesn't look nearly as good as comparing it to the state as a whole.
All I did was provide the numbers easily available on City-Data. There are better areas in Cobb, but the picture painted by the poster I was responding to is not an accurate one, at least in my opinion.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techugagrad View Post
INone of these schools is exceptionally good.
King Springs was one of the best in the county in test scores. Nickajack, Brown (now Smyrna Elementary), and Teasley were more than decent. Campbell High was ranked around 600 in the country! And the beleaguered Middle schools are now improving.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techugagrad View Post
Bad areas? Yes! The apartments behind the El Valu supermarket at South Cobb... the apartments behind the QT at King Springs & South Cobb.... the area around Argyle School... the area north of Windy Hill....
People who think Smyrna has "bad areas" need to go spend some time living in the parts of Atlanta where every A/C has a cage and every window has bars, and half the homes are vacant. I own investment property near downtown ATL and I can tell you there is absolutely no comparison. Even the "bad" parts of Smyrna are a paradise.

The area around Argyle, for instance, is not "bad". I used to live near there before I had to buy a bigger home and wanted to move to Nickajack for our kid. I still miss that area since it was so convenient.

My father, a doctor who previously downsized from a giant home in the Northeast, is currently living around there and has had no complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The only really BAD area in Cobb- one to be completely avoided at all cost- is a small area of Six Flags Drive between I-20 and Factory Shoals Road in Austell. That is the only really really bad and unsafe area that I know of in the whole county. And I have lived in Cobb a long time.
Yet, we used the new indoor swimming pool there one evening with our kids and didn't have an issue. Although it did look more like the blighted parts of Northwest Atlanta along the roads and I hear of a lot of crime there, so I can see what you're saying. However, I would still consider that area seedy and not completely destitute.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:29 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Quote:
The area around Argyle, for instance, is not "bad". I used to live near there before I had to buy a bigger home and wanted to move to Nickajack for our kid. I still miss that area since it was so convenient.
The area around Argyle is not "bad' - at a recent Ward meeting, it was noted the drain on Argyle Elementary primarily comes from the apartments along Cobb Parkway and not Spring Road.

Location and not income level has alot to do with crime. I believe the recently expanded West Village on Atlanta Road has a higher crime rate. This has to do with their proximity to I-285 and not the income level of its residents or the surrounding area

Old 12-20-2012, 08:34 PM

Spring Rd is gorgeous. It has a little blight close to Cumberland Blvd, but the rest of it (minus a package store near Spring Street) is median-gardened, with a winding walking trail. You can't get much prettier than that. Atlanta Rd and Concord Rd streetscaping will be lucky to do quite as well (though I have to say, Atlanta Rd is starting to look good but we haven't seen the finished product yet). Amazingly, Spring Rd is amongst the most affordable part of Smyrna. If you don't have kids, Spring Rd really is the place to be. If you have kids, then you may want to think twice about Argyle.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Spring Rd is gorgeous. It has a little blight close to Cumberland Blvd, but the rest of it (minus a package store near Spring Street) is median-gardened, with a winding walking trail. You can't get much prettier than that. Atlanta Rd and Concord Rd streetscaping will be lucky to do quite as well (though I have to say, Atlanta Rd is starting to look good but we haven't seen the finished product yet). Amazingly, Spring Rd is amongst the most affordable part of Smyrna. If you don't have kids, Spring Rd really is the place to be. If you have kids, then you may want to think twice about Argyle.
It also has DaVinci's Pizza. Part of the Golden Pizza Triangle (the others being Blue Moon and Siracusa's [formerly Fortunato's]), and with Bella's in the center.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:24 PM

106 posts, read 237,310 times
Any opinions on Ivy Spings subdvision area off of Spring Street/Spring Rd? I think this is considered downtown Smyrna?

It appears to be new development planned in the nearby area. I love the walk ability of the area as well.

I don't have any kids but may have 1 in a few years....not sure...but I wonder if this area will be zoned for the new Smyrna ES when it opens? It seems closer to the new school than Argyle.

Any thoughts on the above? Would a 2BR/2.5BA be a good buy in this area also?

Last edited by dgreen; 04-19-2013 at 08:34 PM..

Old 04-20-2013, 09:28 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Here is the redistricting plan

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice...Round4Plan.pdf

Ivy Springs will be going to the new Smyrna Elementary School

Old 04-20-2013, 09:30 AM

125 posts, read 232,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
I think it's really a personal preference. I prefer Smyrna to East Cobb. It has more of a small town, yet city and suburban feel to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta