Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 06:29 AM

711 posts, read 683,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Many music fans who followed Hip-Hop in earlier eras considered to classic and/or vintage eras (like the 1980’s, 1990’s and/or early 2000’s) understandably are not going to consider rap or Hip-Hop music from the 2010’s and (a decade that seems to still be forming its own identity in) the 2020’s to be legitimate often just simply because of a natural age and generational gap.

But even with the obvious generational gap between Hip-Hop fans of earlier eras and Hip-Hop fans of the 2010’s and 2020’s, a focal city/metro like Atlanta has experienced some notable success in a Hip-Hop scene that has evolved and even mutated since the genre’s ‘80’s, ‘90’s and early 2000’s heydays.

Though he often may be derided by older generations of fans for being a mumble rapper, metro Atlanta-based Hip-Hop artist Future has experienced some massive success during his music career, including having two separate albums top the national music charts within 7 months back in 2015-2016, and having two separate albums top the national music charts in the same month back in February 2017.

To date, Future has had six #1 albums in his career, with his most recent #1 album coming back in May 2020.

Other younger and more recent metro Atlanta-based acts like 21 Savage, Playboi Carti, Lil’ Yachty, Rae Sremmurd (who are based in Atlanta but are from Mississippi and had one of the biggest songs and a massive hit in a big year back in 2016 with “Black Beatles”), Migos (who had a massive hit with “Bad and Boujee” in late 2016), Childish Gambino, Gunna, etc., have experienced significant success in recent years, along with the aforementioned Lil Nas X who had one of the absolute biggest smash hit songs of all-time with “Old Town Road” back in 2019.

While other metro Atlanta-based acts like Travis Porter, Waka Flocka Flame, Gucci Mane, B.o.B., iLoveMakonnen, Soulja Boy, Roscoe Dash experienced notable success during the earlier part of the 2010’s, and an act like 2 Chainz also experienced some notable success during the decade of the 2010’s.

Numerous Atlanta-based producers including Mike Will Made It, Metro Boomin (who is from St. Louis), London on da Track, etc., have also experienced considerable success behind the boards.

Rap obviously has changed and evolved and mutated into forms that fans of the music in earlier eras may not even recognize as music, and the internet and social media has democratized music distribution and made it possible for more rap artists to become stars even if they live outside focal cities like New York, L.A. and Atlanta.

But even in today’s vastly different Hip-Hop music scene, Atlanta remains an important and dominant city in the genre.

OK, Born2Roll! I knew you had a wealth of knowledge about cities, neighborhoods, schools and transit projects, but you've really outdone yourself with a true understanding of the Atlanta music scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 08:38 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,851,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
OK, Born2Roll! I knew you had a wealth of knowledge about cities, neighborhoods, schools and transit projects, but you've really outdone yourself with a true understanding of the Atlanta music scene.
Ha! I was thinking the same thing. I was like , “Is he looking this stuff up, or does he really just know everything in explicit detail.” Great posts.

Old 02-24-2022, 08:42 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,508,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
I accidentally forgot to mention Lil’ Baby, (who is from Oakland City in the City of Atlanta and attended Booker T. Washington High School) who is an Atlanta-based rapper that currently appears to be experiencing a massive amount of success having had two #1 albums and a #2 album since breaking through with the Drake-assisted hit song “Yes Indeed” back in 2018.

Old 02-24-2022, 12:05 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Ha! I was thinking the same thing. I was like , “Is he looking this stuff up, or does he really just know everything in explicit detail.” Great posts.
I think it's the latter. B2R just knows a lot of stuff!

Old 03-28-2022, 12:43 PM

Ludacris - Sorry, Not Sorry response

Old 03-14-2023, 08:59 AM

Not specifically about the A, but a nice shot of the iconic Jackson Street Bridge in O4W

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwM3aSQZmZA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta