Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:22 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,788 times

Advertisements

How much does it cost to ride MARTA? Don't ask the mayoral candidates. *| ajc.com

How much does it cost to ride MARTA?
Some of the candidates running for Atlanta mayor didn't know.

None of the four candidates correctly answered how many Fortune 500 companies are in the city. The answer is nine. Norwood and Spikes were closest with 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 01:55 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,706 times
Funny people running for mayor dont even know important things about the city. its just sad, glad I live in unicorporated Clayton so I dont have vote for any of these fools,

I have my own political fools to deal with like, Eldrin Bell

Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,354 times
To give them the benefit of the doubt, the fare just increased and I'm sure they're too busy handling the ins and outs of their campaign to keep up. Would be nice, but I'd give them a break with that one.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:12 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,788 times
Nice to see that one of the candidates thinks there are 60k foreclosures, 6 times the actual number.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:41 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,723 times
I can't give them a break on this one, it's not like MARTA's financial troubles haven't been in the news which prompted the .25 cent increase to $2.00. (and I haven't used Marta in quite some time)Transit in metro Atlanta is ALWAYS a big issue, so they should have known at least the MARTA question. How many foreclosures are in the city? I can understand not knowing the exact number, but let's at least be in the ballpark, and the fortune 500 question, I give them more slack on this question than Marta, but a city that wants to paint itself as pro-business the canindates should know this answer. These are the four people that have the best shot at running our city, I would expect them to know much more than the avg. tax-paying citizen.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:32 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
I'd give Spikes a break since he's a carpetbagger.

For Reed and Norwood I'm less forgiving. At Norwood especially. How does a city council member not know how much it costs to ride the train???? This is a direct example of how much of her campaign is fluff wrapped up in a "change" blanket.

Kudos to Borders for getting it right. I think if you are going to be mayor, you should at least know something as basic as this.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:55 PM

173 posts, read 471,085 times
I also forgive the person who answered $2.25. Before the fair increase, that's how much it cost for the initial ticket. It was $1.75 to reload.

But otherwise, sad.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 PM

16 posts, read 39,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
To give them the benefit of the doubt, the fare just increased and I'm sure they're too busy handling the ins and outs of their campaign to keep up. Would be nice, but I'd give them a break with that one.
BS! MARTA is the public transportation system used by hundreds of thousands of citizens every single day. It is currently going through the worst financial crisis in its history. The fare increase was voted on months ago and has been big news for months.

A person running for mayor of this city that never rides the system or read the newspapers isn't a serious candidate but since Norwood has been made a serious candidate by her white support she is therefore a serious threat to the majority of Atlanta's residents.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:50 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,612 times
I'm sorry but the mayor knowing the exact Marta fare is entirely irrelevant. For one thing, the mayor has zero direct input into Marta issues. And second there are more than enough problems at city hall for them to occupy their time with.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:46 AM

859 posts, read 2,119,723 times
11Alive Mayoral Forum: Post Your Reaction! - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA (http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.aspx?storyid=136284 - broken link) (scroll down the page, the video should pop up) video from the entire mayoral forum/debate, skip and click on "lighting round "to view the candidates exact responses to the Marta question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta