Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:47 AM

927 posts, read 2,228,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Left a friend's house this afternoon on Camden Rd. in Brookwood Hills to return to my house in downtown Decatur. As I like to take back roads through town, I meandered through Ansley Park, Morningside, Virginia-Highland, Druid Hills and Decatur. Having lived in several other cities, I can tell you that it doesn't get much better than that.

Omigod I do this ALL the time...last night matter of fact. Thing about Atlanta is that, yes, a car is pretty much a requirement if you don't live near mass transit, which is most of us, and yes there is no "grid" for the city's layout, but damn, our ability to just get lost in the beauty of our neighborhoods, and to discover neighborhoods we never knew about is a treasure!

So many hoods are in back streets and side roads that when you just get in your car and drive around it's quite an adventure. You can't necessarily do that in Philly or Manhattan because everyone knows where everything is because it's so squarely laid out.

Just last night on my way home, I decided to explore Kirkwood and Cabbagetown heading from downtown. I've lived in Atlanta a couple of decades and never even stepped foot into Kirkwood until last night (and Cabbagetown for the first time this weekend for dinner). The variety of architecture in Kirkwood's homes, the villagey feel of their main square, and it all being just 10 minutes from downtown, is truly a unique experience. I definitely dig the "hidden gems" aspect of Atlanta!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 08:06 AM

43 posts, read 105,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
[/b]

Omigod I do this ALL the time...last night matter of fact. Thing about Atlanta is that, yes, a car is pretty much a requirement if you don't live near mass transit, which is most of us, and yes there is no "grid" for the city's layout, but damn, our ability to just get lost in the beauty of our neighborhoods, and to discover neighborhoods we never knew about is a treasure!

So many hoods are in back streets and side roads that when you just get in your car and drive around it's quite an adventure. You can't necessarily do that in Philly or Manhattan because everyone knows where everything is because it's so squarely laid out.

Just last night on my way home, I decided to explore Kirkwood and Cabbagetown heading from downtown. I've lived in Atlanta a couple of decades and never even stepped foot into Kirkwood until last night (and Cabbagetown for the first time this weekend for dinner). The variety of architecture in Kirkwood's homes, the villagey feel of their main square, and it all being just 10 minutes from downtown, is truly a unique experience. I definitely dig the "hidden gems" aspect of Atlanta!
And when you do that in a nice convertible, it's even better!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:11 AM

895 posts, read 2,368,328 times
Well hopefully the beltline will fix the "lack of mas transit" and the peachtree streetcar.. It would be nice to be able to visit the neighborhoods and walk thru them from rail.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
Well hopefully the beltline will fix the "lack of mas transit" and the peachtree streetcar.. It would be nice to be able to visit the neighborhoods and walk thru them from rail.
And it's doable, as a lot of these hoods are close to the CSX/marta line and many were already "streetcar neighborhoods." When people talk about Atlanta lacking character, they truly don't know Atlanta. How is having a bunch of row homes lined up the epitome of character moreso than a hood having a Victorian next to historical lofts which aren't far from craftsman homes all in one hood, and all of which are unique. Driving through Kirkwood, not one home I saw looked like the next.

I love the ambiance and quaintness and, sometimes, quirkiness, of these neighborhoods. To me, that's what Atlanta is all about!

Another thing I love about the A, and this is because I'm kind of an industry geek, is the sound of the train (not the marta, but the trains actually along railroads) coming through. Growing up in Stone Mountain I used to always hear the horn, and hearing it makes me nostalgic. Something about it just reminds me of industry and things developing.

It's kind of like people liking the smell of gasoline--it's an odd thing to appreciate, but I would totally live in an industrial loft right right off Dekalb Ave where I could hear that sound if I was in the position to do so!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:10 PM

859 posts, read 2,122,464 times
I have to agree with all of the posts, Atlanta is a city made up of unique and beautiful neighborhoods. I remember back in college when I was finally able to bring my car I would drive around and get lost on purpose just to explore-From as far north as Dahlonega, over to Athens, down to Newnan, over to Villa Rica and everything in between. Besides putting a zillion miles on my car, it helped me get a better sense of the people in the metro area, and also helped me learn back routes just in case those NAV guides are on the fritz and traffic is a mess, which we all know it usually is.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
I have to agree with all of the posts, Atlanta is a city made up of unique and beautiful neighborhoods. I remember back in college when I was finally able to bring my car I would drive around and get lost on purpose just to explore-From as far north as Dahlonega, over to Athens, down to Newnan, over to Villa Rica and everything in between. Besides putting a zillion miles on my car, it helped me get a better sense of the people in the metro area, and also helped me learn back routes just in case those NAV guides are on the fritz and traffic is a mess, which we all know it usually is.
Agree with everything here. This is definitely a place to get lost on purpose, and that's why friends treat me like a personal mapquest now. I can pretty much tell you 3 different ways to get to a place with backstreets. Sooo helpful in avoiding traffic!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:56 AM

859 posts, read 2,122,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
that's why friends treat me like a personal mapquest now.
I know, I can't tell you how many of my college buddies that ARE NATIVES ask me how to get to places, I'm thinking, in the 18 years I didn't know you did you just know how to get to school and back home?!?!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:12 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,123,417 times
Quote:
I know, I can't tell you how many of my college buddies that ARE NATIVES ask me how to get to places, I'm thinking, in the 18 years I didn't know you did you just know how to get to school and back home?!?!
Folks should buy a GPS, man. And let *it* tell them where to go.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:55 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,723,646 times
Quote:
LOL...Ok, so its not just me.

Tons of folks who have grown up here and they can't find their way around for nothing. I"ve been here, 6 years and I can get around fairly good. Still learning new places but how can you live somewhere your whole life and can't give simple directions?!!?

Old 10-29-2009, 09:27 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,833,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj06 View Post
i was born in Atlanta but raised in Hapeville, East Point, College Park and Forest Park. Many on this board consider these places "ghetto" and tell newbies to never go there but i loved growing up on the southside of the city and i miss it (currently in school in Alabama).

There is a lot of hate for Atlanta here in Alabama. Montgomery is growing as a city and i always hear how "they dont want it to become the next Atlanta" and how they dont consider Atlanta the south anymore. (I have a feeling what they mean by this, but i wont speak on it..) Atlanta is a beautiful city, and the only gripe i have is people fearing going anywhere where a lot of blacks hang out but other than that this is the best city on Earth. And for people on here that claim there are only chain-food restaurants here, go to Hambone's in Hapeville, The Jamaican Kitchen in Forest Park, Camille's pizza on ponce or the Greek Joint in Hapeville.
Just tell those people in Montgomery who are worried about becoming "the next Atlanta" that they have absolutely nothing to worry about. They need to worry about becoming the next Birmingham first...

I've lived in Atlanta since 1989...moved to London in 2001 - moved back to Atlanta in 2002. Moved to Miami in 2002 - moved back in 2003. I guess I would love living anywhere if the people are nice and friendly...and Atlanta definitely fits that criteria. I found it very easy to meet people and make friends in Atlanta, and that's why I love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta