Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:50 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Although it is not necessarily the case everywhere, in many other parts of the US, especially the north, areas tend to be more uniform in terms of development and demographics. For example, as a kid in my hometown, just about everyone looked like me, talked like me, had parents that made about the same money as my parents, and had development that pretty much looked the same. In metro Atlanta, you can have a million dollar subdivsion next to a couple of shacks or a trailer park. I think that pattern is a function of the fact that most of the areas of suburban atlanta were very rural not too long ago, and have grown and changed very rapidly, in really an unplanned way. Add to this the fact that people have moved here from all over the country and the world without preconceived notions about what group of people could live where, and you get the diversity that is metro Atlanta. The demographics of my suburban, Suwanee street would not exist where I grew up in Ohio.
Thanks so much, OhioNative, for explaining that the rest of the country isn't all like metro Atlanta in this way. The sentence I bolded above is little or not at all exaggerated, in my observation, and it's that phenomenon that always has me thinking "Uhhhh... what to say?" when people who are moving here write questions like "Is Marietta a good area?"

Addition - I think the income diversity caused by this mixing is not a bad thing at all. So I'm not pining for the homogeneity of Canadian and northern US towns. Just remarking on the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:26 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Thanks so much, OhioNative, for explaining that the rest of the country isn't all like metro Atlanta in this way. The sentence I bolded above is little or not at all exaggerated, in my observation, and it's that phenomenon that always has me thinking "Uhhhh... what to say?" when people who are moving here write questions like "Is Marietta a good area?"

Addition - I think the income diversity caused by this mixing is not a bad thing at all. So I'm not pining for the homogeneity of Canadian and northern US towns. Just remarking on the difference.

Good post.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:07 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
So true. We've very much noticed how there can be very upscale subdivisions and retail, rather crummy run-down ones and everything in between, all quite close by each other. Being from Canada, where the upscale and rundown parts of any town tend to be much more homogeneous and more separated from each other, we thought this must be a US thing. So it's more a metro Atlanta thing?
Atlanta is really different from the Twin Cities (for example) in this regard as well (in having mixtures of rich and poor areas within a short distance of one another), so it isn't just the northeast which tends to be more a lot more homogeneous and have more gradual transitions. Not that the Twin Cities has many poor areas or that many very rich areas ... it tends to have fewer extremes than you find here.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:41 AM

997 posts, read 4,645,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast2GA View Post
No confusion here guys. I think I got the boundaries and school maps down. Im used to postal codes up here so.

And yes, Northview is my top choice, along with Chattahoochee and Johns Creek HS. But of course, its not always easy finding what you want and you might have to settle for 4th or 5th place. So thats where I'm trying to determine how Duluth fits in.
The area you asked about initially near Peachtree Industrial and Abbotts is a good area.

If your first choice is the other schools above, I would go for them. Given the price range you stated earlier you can do fine. There are tons of listings on the market and there will always be more. Something is always going to come up. It's not like the little towns in the northeast where there are only a few homes on the market in your range and you never know when another will come along. You don't want to be left with the feeling that you settled and it wasn't your top choice.

I still think there is nothing wrong with the other area at all if you make that your choice. I don't know what your time frame is but the Spring market will be approaching with new listings. People do tend to price things higher in the Spring but the fact remains that things haven't done well previously so the comps don't lie. I think there will be a slow increase as things improve.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 19,748 times
This forum is very helpful. Being from the north I can agree that a town defines the type of folks you will find there. Most likely because most of our towns are substantially smaller that what we are seeing in Atlanta.

Can anyone provide some detail on John's CreekHigh School? As we are looking in the Duluth area I see Northview has good stats but John's Creek is too new for an available report. Any feedback on the quality of education, teacher/student ratio, parent involvement and concerns that should be considered? Again, thanks for all the feedback, this is a great forum!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:53 AM

997 posts, read 4,645,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingRelo View Post
This forum is very helpful. Being from the north I can agree that a town defines the type of folks you will find there. Most likely because most of our towns are substantially smaller that what we are seeing in Atlanta.

Can anyone provide some detail on John's CreekHigh School? As we are looking in the Duluth area I see Northview has good stats but John's Creek is too new for an available report. Any feedback on the quality of education, teacher/student ratio, parent involvement and concerns that should be considered? Again, thanks for all the feedback, this is a great forum!
Johns Creek High School is very new so it's hard to say in terms of administration and teachers. I really don't expect there to be a difference because the school is made up of students that were at Northview or Chattahoochee so I would assume the test scores and parental involvement to be the same.

When house hunting I would be open to all three high schools. There really isn't a difference. It will make it much easier and not to mention there could be another shift depending on how old your children are. The zip codes that are assigned to each are pretty much 30022, 30097 and some of 30005.

Your Best Move in Georgia, North Carolina and International | Harry Norman, Realtors® offers a free search and you can search by schools as well. Very handy website. I use it all the time just to stay on top of what is going on in my neighborhood and area.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:32 PM

8 posts, read 14,171 times
Reading these threads, the only thing, I can come up with is, White people want to be, as far away from Blacks, as they can. Hopefully, there kids aren't associated with them or less as possible. So with that being said, What the h*ll make you all think, Blacks want to be associated with you all.
(Get a Grip/Life) SMH

Old 09-21-2011, 07:53 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique0088 View Post
Reading these threads, the only thing, I can come up with is, White people want to be, as far away from Blacks, as they can. Hopefully, there kids aren't associated with them or less as possible. So with that being said, What the h*ll make you all think, Blacks want to be associated with you all.
(Get a Grip/Life) SMH
Wow. You resurrected an 18-month-old thread to say that?

Come to my part of town. It's about 50/50 here. I'm white (grew up in a western Minneapolis suburb that was as white as snow in the 70's), and I really enjoy living in a more varied area.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:47 PM

8 posts, read 14,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Wow. You resurrected an 18-month-old thread to say that?

Come to my part of town. It's about 50/50 here. I'm white (grew up in a western Minneapolis suburb that was as white as snow in the 70's), and I really enjoy living in a more varied area.
I wasn't on here 18 months ago. I just know what I'm experiencing the past two months. You're right...it is a WOW factor to know this Sh*t still exist in 2011!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta