Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:16 PM

425 posts, read 1,755,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Hmmm. I'm not sure I know what that means (and I'm a native Californian).

In any event, we're leaning toward Gwinnett because it reminds me of where I lived in California. Had lots of friends of different groups, but my closest friends were Asian, Latino, Black and White. Near as I can tell, that's still what California looks like. I think ...
I take interest in stuff like this because I am also a native Californian and they tend to be more progressive in matters such as education and social welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 05:38 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Default California faces many challenges

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
I take interest in stuff like this because I am also a native Californian and they tend to be more progressive in matters such as education and social welfare.
When I read posts in the California forum about the quality of public education few seem to feel appropriate solutions have been found.

I don't pretend to be well-informed on California but many citizens are not satisfied --that is evident. ??Headed for fiscal disaster???

Georgians would not like that.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:27 PM

218 posts, read 1,189,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
I believe that if a school is not making AYP for number of years, parents can choose another school within the school districts. I don't think that it applies to school districts. By the way, Cobb, Gwinnett and Fulton all didn't make AYP.

Yes, this is true, it goes by the individual school, not the system as a whole. I taught in South Fulton for 3 years and only a hand full of schools out of the whole Fulton district didn't make AYP. There are very few schools in most counties that do not make AYP because there are more determining factors than just test scores; attendance being one them. It is easier to make AYP in an elementary school versus a middle or high school because there's more at stake.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:15 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
When I read posts in the California forum about the quality of public education few seem to feel appropriate solutions have been found.

I don't pretend to be well-informed on California but many citizens are not satisfied --that is evident. ??Headed for fiscal disaster???

Georgians would not like that.
Ironically, my kids' most challenging course work was in California schools. At the same time, California's in a tough spot because they don't have enough qualified teachers to (a) teach to the raised standards; and (b) lower the students-per-class numbers.

If I had my choice in Georgia, I'd take crowded class rooms with higher academic standards.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:54 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Ironically, my kids' most challenging course work was in California schools. At the same time, California's in a tough spot because they don't have enough qualified teachers to (a) teach to the raised standards; and (b) lower the students-per-class numbers.

If I had my choice in Georgia, I'd take crowded class rooms with higher academic standards.
Cough--'not enough qualified teachers to teach to the raised standards'...

oK.

and --you'd prefer that GA had higher academic standards.

The reality is that it takes $$$$. The SE US has historically been 'less affluent'.

With all the $$$$ that seems to be 'made' in California the current precarious fiscal reports are disturbing.

When 'lists' are compiled--the New England states seem to be at the top for academic performance.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:04 AM

33 posts, read 121,136 times
Default a mixture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalabash View Post
Not sure what you are looking for but you may want to try other parts of Gwinnett like Grayson, Snellville, Suwanee, Dacula. Gwinnett was recently featured as the most diverse county in the United States.
Looking for an area where people do not self segregate. When looked into school demographics that is what it seemed.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:08 AM

Default schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I think that the easiest jobs to get in Gwinnett are in the Title 1 schools, certainly many of those schools are smaller and more intimate. Why take your child with you to school? Why not live somewhere where you like the school and send him to the neighborhood school? This will also spare him a move, if you decide to change schools.

I don't know what your budget is, but you could live in the Simpson district near Norcross or go further north.

Gwinnett is a huge system -- I think 156,000 students or something this year -- and growing by about 7000 students a year -- their growth per year is actually bigger than most of the school systems in Georgia's enrollment. Something like 10 percent of the state's public school students live in Gwinnett -- so you should have plenty of opportunities to transfer should you not like your job.
NOt taking him to school with me and living some where else is what i am saying I want to do but there does not seem to be much diversity in schools that are not title 1. And don't want him treated or viewed a certain way because he is biracial.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:11 AM

985 posts, read 5,758,569 times
It is true that north fulton area is predominate white and asian. But it is not true in Gwinnett area. All of them belows are not title I schools. Only one feeder schools of all three high schools I know is title I schools (Charles Brant Chesney Elementary School). All three high schools are respective schools in Gwinnett. It maybe true that Gilbert AZ is better choice for you, but I just wonder the web site you got the info about demographic of schools.

Duluth high 24% asian, 16% black, 18% hispanic and 40% white (Duluth and Berkeley lake) Duluth high demographic

Peachtree Ridge high 21% Asian, 19% black, 9% hispanic and 49% white (Duluth and Suwanee)

Peachtree Ridge high demographic

North Gwinnett high 11% Asian, 12% black, 10% hispanic and 60% white (Suwanee and Sugar Hill)

North Gwinnett high demographic

Old 06-05-2007, 09:52 PM

Default info from school accountability reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
It is true that north fulton area is predominate white and asian. But it is not true in Gwinnett area. All of them belows are not title I schools. Only one feeder schools of all three high schools I know is title I schools (Charles Brant Chesney Elementary School). All three high schools are respective schools in Gwinnett. It maybe true that Gilbert AZ is better choice for you, but I just wonder the web site you got the info about demographic of schools.

Duluth high 24% asian, 16% black, 18% hispanic and 40% white (Duluth and Berkeley lake) Duluth high demographic

Peachtree Ridge high 21% Asian, 19% black, 9% hispanic and 49% white (Duluth and Suwanee)

Peachtree Ridge high demographic

North Gwinnett high 11% Asian, 12% black, 10% hispanic and 60% white (Suwanee and Sugar Hill)

North Gwinnett high demographic
I have been looking at the schools' accountability reports. Norcross El. is Black 25%, Hispanics 56 % and White 6%
Simpson which is also in Norcross is Black 4%, Hispanic 2% and White 82%.
This is a big difference in where the diversity is. Norcross El. is a title 1 school. Simpson is not. What i am saying is this is what i have found when i look into each city and the schools with in that city in Gwinnett County. This tells me people are choosing to segregate them selves. It is apparent in the school demographics when you compare elementary schools that are and are not title one in each city. I have spent much time this because of performce i do not want my son in a title one school but when i look at schools (elementary) that are not there is very little diversity. 4% and 2% is not much. As i said with my son being biracial i am concerned how he would be treated in a school such as Simpson.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:43 AM

563 posts, read 2,773,948 times
Well, just an FYI,

Within Metro Atlanta, there's quite a bit of self-segregation. With more people moving in, this is changing, but it's still prevalent in the area.

Take a look at the 2005-2006 State of Georgia K-12 Report Card. From there you can find the most recent test scores, demographics, etc.

Also take a look at GreatSchools.net There you can read comments about each particular school from parents.

From looking at data on both sites...McKendree Elementary seems quite diverse and is not Title I:
10% Asian
27% Black
17% Latino
41% White
4% Multiracial

Overall, 94.74% of the students met/exceeded standards--out of this percentage, a little over 43% exceeded the standards. Greatschools.net rated this school a 9 out of 10.

The only thing is, this school is in Lawrenceville. To get the diversity you wish, you may have to live in another area of Gwinnett County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta