Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 31,025 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are considering a relo to a suburb of Atlanta (have 3 young kids elementary level). DH job near intersection 285 & 19. We've been in the bay area, san fran for the last 15 years. Where can I find a community that will allow my kids to continue their Mandarin language schooling, eg. Saturday school, or even a Chinese church? We are an asian couple but english speaking family, and really want to support our kids language & culture development.

We plan to buy, compared to SF, everything looks reasonable (we're used to over 1 mil houses), so any city with the usual good schools, low crime, good restaurants, (COSTCO!), would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,101,714 times
Duluth and Suwanee northeast of Atlanta have large middle class Asian populations, although I think that the vast majority are of Korean ancestry. The area around Gwinnett Place mall is turning into a hub for Asian businesses, with many signs in Korean. I am not sure of the percentage of Chinese individuals in those areas, however.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:31 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Gwinnett County has the largest Asian population in Georgia, and the highest percentage as well.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,634 times
Duluth has a good Dim Sum restaurant. There are actually a few in the Metro Area.

I don't know of any schools that teach Mandarin.

I am from the Bay Area also. The home prices here are amazing compared to the Bay Area. We don't really have a traditional Chinatown like San Francisco or Oakland, but you can usually find what you need as far as restaurants or groceries.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:57 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,137 times
Johns Creek has a very large Asian population as well. Johns Creek has excellent schools. Some of the best. Crime is very low. Great place to raise a family.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:05 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,384 times
To add, there are schools that teach Chinese language, culture, etc...The areas mentioned are at least 25% Asian. While mostly Korean, there's also a large number of Chinese.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:30 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,126 times
The Chinese population in Atlanta isn't huge (esp compared to the Korean population) but they have been here a long time and is fairly well established. My parents came to Atlanta in the mid '70's and there was already a small community back then. The majority of Chinese I've met live in the northern suburbs from Norcross/Duluth to Marietta w/ a lot of the establishment near Buford Highway. The Duluth/Johns Creek/Alpharetta area are definitely the nicest suburbs w/ the best schools as well so it should all fit in very nicely.

Here is the local Chinese Community Center and they have language classes. My mom taught there a decade ago when she first semi-retired. There's a fair amount
Chinese School of Atlanta

This is a church that a lot of my friends attend. I'm not a member but have been by there a few times.
Atlanta Chinese Christian Church

Best of luck

Old 03-16-2010, 09:55 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Like others have alluded to, Atlanta has a very large and diverse asian population. Chinese, Indians, Pakistanis, Viets, Cambodians, Thais, Laos, Hmongs, Japanese, Filipinos, and A LOT of Koreans. There isn't any strife though, and we all kind of form a larger unified community since that until recently, there weren't many asians at all in Metro Atlanta (now there are several hundred thousand).

The Chinese-American community in Atlanta, though small, has been at the center of Asian Atlanta for the longest time so there are tons of Chinese restaurants, grocery stores, bakeries, churches, and cultural events.

As far as a places to live Northeast Atlanta, North Dekalb, and South Gwinnett is where most of the Atlanta Asian community resides, but by no means is it limited to that area. But because I-285 is literally hell on earth when it comes to traffic and your husband would be working in the Roswell Rd area, I would suggested looking into Sandy Springs, Brookhaven, Buckhead, North Druid Hills and other areas in North Dekalb to avoid taking the highway. Your husband will be happy. LOL

Here are some links for the stuff you were looking for:

Churches:

亞特è˜*å¤§è¯äººåŸºç£æ •™æœƒ Atlanta Chinese Christian Church
http://www.acccn.org/
First Chinese Baptist Church of Atlanta | ¨È¯SÄõ¤j²Ä¤@µØ¤H®û«H·|
http://www.gbgm-umc.org/firstchineseumc/ (broken link)
Lilburn 華人浸信會

Mandarin Schools:
Taiwanese School of Atlanta
Old CD thread on this topic: Looking for intown Chinese schools

Old 03-17-2010, 03:14 AM

13 posts, read 191,645 times
The Chinese are actually the least populous ethnic Asian community in the metro, as there are larger numbers of Indians, Vietnamese, and Koreans. The overwhelming majority of the Chinese population lives in the northern suburbs, specifically North Fulton and Gwinnett counties. Johns Creek in Fulton is where I think you will find the largest number, much of that because of the top-notch school districts (Northview and Chattahoochee and the new Johns Creek). ACCA (ACCA - Home), one of the largest Chinese schools, has its North campus right in the city.

Over in Gwinnett, Duluth, which borders Johns Creek to the east, is the other area with a large Chinese population, and has the added benefit of some Chinese businesses and restaurants along one of its main corridors Pleasant Hill Rd (and a Costco!). You'll also find substantial Chinese populations close by in Berkeley Lake and Peachtree Corners, as well as in Lilburn around the Parkview school district. Chinese are also slowly expanding beyond these areas to Suwanee and Lawrenceville, and there are quite a few over in East Cobb County around the Walton school district.

Doraville and Chamblee in Dekalb County are the historical centers of the Chinese community, and though they do not have as large a population compared to Fulton and Gwinnett, much of the Chinese businesses are still located in and around the Buford Highway corridor. Much of the Chinese community, however, has taken to patronizing Korean supermarkets like Super H-Mart with locations in Duluth and Johns Creek for Asian goods and produce, since they are closer to home for many.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 13,175 times
Hi all
We are planning to move the north side of Altanta. I am a tutor now and I use to be a public school math teacher in NYC. I don't know how hard to get the job there. Is Altanta like NYC, most students go for after school or weekend for tutoring? Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta