Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Box

382 posts, read 661,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Georgia Man View Post
RACE DOES NOT MATTER. WHAT MATTERS IS THE MIND THE PERSON HAS AND THE FUTURE HE WANTS FOR THE CITY. AND FOR ALL CHRISTIANS FORGIVE ME IF YOU ARE NOT. BUT GOD MADE ONE RACE THE HUMAN RACE, MAN CREATED RACISM BELIEVE IT
Except if you're orange like Snookie. Yuck! Ew! Gross!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 04:11 PM

200 posts, read 449,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
This thread is so friggin' dumb, I can't stand it already.

Atlanta has had white (oops, "non-black") mayors for 127 years. Also, no one told white folks to "white-flight" the heck outta Dodge in the first place. I know my childhood neighborhood in South Dekalb was mostly white when my parents moved in in 1977. No one made them(white folks) leave, that's for sure. I've had white childhood friends who disappeared on me by the 5th grade and it was only after high school when I slowly realized why.

Black folks reached across the aisle first with the hand of friendship. It was white folks who by large slapped it away, and decided to restyled themselves as "conservative" Republicans and started this political stonewalling mess every step of the way. Nevermind the truth that these "conservatives" ate just as much at the government pig trough as anyone else, especially during the 1930s depression. "Less goverment" advocates indeed...

I'm tired of this southern strategy that tries to act as if black folks by large are the unprogressive ones who refuse to be part of the coalition. Heck, MLK Jr. AND Malcolm X were assassinated for trying to create a racial coalition for pete sakes!!! Name me an equivalent white civil rights activist that has given that sort of blood.

God, this stuff never ends, does it?
AMEN! Its interesting how a certain demographic creates a playing field for their advantage, then has the nerve to get mad when others succeed at the game they rigged for them to win. Another example is Barack Obama and the fact that he is now supposed to be considered "bi-racial" by "mainstream" America when the "one-drop rule" was instituted and complied with since the antebellum era..But now his "African blood" is downplayed as a being a part of his success.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:26 PM

538 posts, read 926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dytdude View Post
AMEN! Its interesting how a certain demographic creates a playing field for their advantage, then has the nerve to get mad when others succeed at the game they rigged for them to win. Another example is Barack Obama and the fact that he is now supposed to be considered "bi-racial" by "mainstream" America when the "one-drop rule" was instituted and complied with since the antebellum era..But now his "African blood" is downplayed as a being a part of his success.
Yep, its also interesting how "a certain demographic" used a "brown paper bag test" to see who was light skinned enough to get into the proper fraternity or sorority.....I guess they were "downplaying" the applicant's "African blood" a bit as well.....LOL about "certain demographics" and their prejudices.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
I have a feeling Phil Kent of Fox 5's Georgia Gang is amongst us.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Yep, its also interesting how "a certain demographic" used a "brown paper bag test" to see who was light skinned enough to get into the proper fraternity or sorority.....I guess they were "downplaying" the applicant's "African blood" a bit as well.....LOL about "certain demographics" and their prejudices.
Tanning salons.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 PM

538 posts, read 926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Tanning salons.
I think you're going in the wrong direction if you want to get into a "proper" "black" fraternity or sorority......LOL

Old 06-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
I think you're going in the wrong direction if you want to get into a "proper" "black" fraternity or sorority......LOL
You really dont know anything about black fraternities and sororities do you...?

Old 06-30-2011, 04:06 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladesw View Post
Atlanta and progressive in the same breath is a tricky matter. The city consists of three people : Out of touch with the national norms/odd whites, angry blacks and then the more normal transplants. Nobody cares nor is willing to spend the energy to fix Atlanta except the transplant. If Atlanta ever elects a competent this or that, it's the transplants vote which bears responsiblity.

All of us locally grown up here secretly know the rules. Thanks to the transplants we have the option to live in the city now. But that was not our doing and this race issue is very complicated. Atlanta is a racial drama queen city, and very unique in a bad way really.
Im in the transplant category. Im cheering for Atlanta to be a better city, but I wont lie about the problems I see like others do here. They ran the mexicans off which in my opinion was not a good look, but time will tell.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:06 PM

439 posts, read 852,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAN5TI84 View Post
i have been following this forum for 4 years, but this is my first time for a post. i am a sociology major. we have discussed many issues, but one of my favorites is major american cities. major american cities are unique because there are many kinds of people living together in a dense area. one aspect we have discussed is how the diversity affects politics.

my class discussed how many major cities have had african american mayors in the modern era - chicago, philadelphia, houston, atlanta.

ive done more research on the subject of atlanta, and the research made me think: atlanta was often described as progressive, but based on history and past elections it seems unlikely that a non-african mayor will win an election in atlanta.

but why?

i am aware atlanta is different from chicago, houston, philadelphia in that it is majority african american. but why would that matter if atlanta is progressive?

would i, as a chinese american, hypothetically have a chance of winning a mayor election in atlanta?

do you think this will ever change?

thanks for catering to my interest with reponses!

Atlanta is not progressive in the least. Do not know where you got your 'description' from.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:37 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
Atlanta is not progressive in the least. Do not know where you got your 'description' from.
Stop confusing whatever suburb you live in with the City of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta