Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 04:01 PM

1,908 posts, read 1,272,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
There is so much more to this city than CNN.
I dead-a** forgot CNN is here until the riots started. I was like " oh that's right, CNN is here. Hm".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 04:14 PM

Wait, I thought ATL is game over because its a big city. Everyone in media is saying that everyone in cities are all of a sudden moving to the suburbs now (?).

Old 06-30-2020, 05:09 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleIsLife View Post
Still a relevant question today with the selling of the CNN building and downsizing.
Time Warner is the parent company of CNN and its laying off and downsizing company wide. Meaning EVERYWHERE.
https://nypost.com/2019/10/03/warner...h-big-firings/

Even then they are relocating to Techwood Campus so this has nothing to do with the operations at all.Makes since after what just happened with the riots. Techwood is a lot more secure.
https://www.11alive.com/article/news...9-dfc7b360f4ac

I dont even know how its a "relevant question" since Atlanta has been on a growth spurt in the last 5 years at least.

Quote:
Now, a new study found that the city is among the quickest growing in the country — 8th fastest among large cities and 57th in growth overall, according to the report published by WalletHub. According to the findings, Atlanta isn't the only Southern city to see speedy growth.Oct 15, 2019
https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-ran...peedy%20growth.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Time Warner is the parent company of CNN and its laying off and downsizing company wide. Meaning EVERYWHERE.

Even then they are relocating to Techwood Campus so this has nothing to do with the operations at all.Makes since after what just happened with the riots. Techwood is a lot more secure.

I dont even know how its a "relevant question" since Atlanta has been on a growth spurt in the last 5 years at least.

Even after COVID?

Old 06-30-2020, 06:26 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Besides Lockheed Martin (which does work for the Military, thus is a different animal), what other Aviation / Aerospace companies have significant operations in Metro Atlanta?
Maybe not major companies, but there seem to be numerous small companies in the industry. At least that's what it seems to me. My uncle worked for Delta for a little bit and since then has gone on to work for other small companies and seems to bounce around every so often. Last I heard, he was working with a company that had a contract with Delta for something involving the interior. Basically he'd have to source materials to build the product that Delta was purchasing from them. So obviously Delta is the big one, but there are definitely some smaller companies that do business with them or at least benefit in some way to Delta having such a large presence at the airport.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:57 PM

99 posts, read 116,881 times
Is the game over yet??? I have been waiting since 2010 since this guy wrote this article..... Yawn!!!

Old 06-30-2020, 08:25 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Maybe not major companies, but there seem to be numerous small companies in the industry. At least that's what it seems to me. My uncle worked for Delta for a little bit and since then has gone on to work for other small companies and seems to bounce around every so often. Last I heard, he was working with a company that had a contract with Delta for something involving the interior. Basically he'd have to source materials to build the product that Delta was purchasing from them. So obviously Delta is the big one, but there are definitely some smaller companies that do business with them or at least benefit in some way to Delta having such a large presence at the airport.
I also work in the Aviation / Aerospace industry.

And aside from Delta and Lockheed Martin, the pickings are slim in Atlanta in terms of opportunities. Georgia as a whole has a somewhat respectable showing, but Pratt & Whitney (Raytheon Technologies) is in Columbus while Gulfstream (General Dynamics) is in Savannah.

Now Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles, San Diego, Connecticut, Washington-Baltimore and even Huntsville are where the Aviation / Aerospace opportunities really are.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:51 AM

276 posts, read 430,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post

This is all sorts of wrong. AT&T bought Time Warner and the ultimate parent is AT&T. WarnerMedia is the sub that owns CNN.

That article you referenced is quite old. Even with covid-19 and many other media companies laying off, CNN has been stable. At least for this year. Next year, who knows? There haven't been recent layoffs at WarnerMedia either although some did happen due to the brands merging their operations int he entertainment space.

As the articles mention, this has nothing to do with the protests in Atlanta. You would not decide to sell an office complex that is iconic in 4 weeks. This was actually in the works or at least under consideration before AT&T bought the former Time Warner. And actually even after AT&T sells the building, CNN will have a 5 year lease in the building. And actually, the CNN Center is much more secure than Techwood where it matters. There are armed guards walking throughout. Techwood? One could pretty easily walk onto the campus.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:24 AM

2,264 posts, read 971,107 times
West Coast native and Ga Tech graduate. I was surprised at how few startups Tech had spawned in the local economy when I was there in the early ‘90s. Mercantilism dominated thinking so much that there seemed to be little appetite for the kind of delayed gratification curiosity that sparks seminal new industries..

Old 07-01-2020, 02:56 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanista View Post
This is all sorts of wrong. AT&T bought Time Warner and the ultimate parent is AT&T. WarnerMedia is the sub that owns CNN.

That article you referenced is quite old. Even with covid-19 and many other media companies laying off, CNN has been stable. At least for this year. Next year, who knows? There haven't been recent layoffs at WarnerMedia either although some did happen due to the brands merging their operations int he entertainment space.

As the articles mention, this has nothing to do with the protests in Atlanta. You would not decide to sell an office complex that is iconic in 4 weeks. This was actually in the works or at least under consideration before AT&T bought the former Time Warner. And actually even after AT&T sells the building, CNN will have a 5 year lease in the building. And actually, the CNN Center is much more secure than Techwood where it matters. There are armed guards walking throughout. Techwood? One could pretty easily walk onto the campus.
Yes Im aware of Att being the parent. That wasnt my focus.
At&T is itself going through some serious problems and have been and still are laying off thousands.My best friends brother in Chicago who does something with finance has been worried about his job security.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...zpid/?mmlb=g,2

Have you been to the Techwood Campus?I have and YES they do have armed guards walking around. Its as secure as Coca Cola headquarters which is basically a fortress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta