Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When was the last time you saw a Confederate Flag?
No never or rarely.I live in the city limits 10 17.54%
No never or rarely ,I live in the suburbs 9 15.79%
Occasionally.Usually on a shirt or tag at best.Occasionally displayed from a poll 24 42.11%
Too often everywhere.Its so annoying 8 14.04%
Do not live in the Atlanta area.But visit.See them all the time 4 7.02%
Do not live in Atlanta,but visit never really seen or paid much attention to them 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:06 PM

472 posts, read 855,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
People can do what they want as far as I'm concerned as long as they don't come and personally bother me. I still believe that flag is racist. I've been in the south nearly all my life, grew up in south GA and some of the folks I knew who waved this flag the most were the most racist folks ever. I too have heard the confederacy called treason many times and I do in fact believe they were traitors and no better than terrorist.
Give me a friggin' break. Terrorist?
Yes, watch out for those confederate flag flying country boys! They're liable to fly a jetliner into a building.

How absurd, and ignorant.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,376,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
People can do what they want as far as I'm concerned as long as they don't come and personally bother me. I still believe that flag is racist. I've been in the south nearly all my life, grew up in south GA and some of the folks I knew who waved this flag the most were the most racist folks ever. I too have heard the confederacy called treason many times and I do in fact believe they were traitors and no better than terrorist.
Oh boy oh boy. It aint them country biggots you need to worry about, but them silent posh folk that actually practice it through their status and influence in society.

Of course they wave the flag of wealth and clout, but i guess the confederate flag is a simpler target for simpler folk to clamp onto.

That said, i'll put one on my german car tomorrow. that has to turn heads around. And please, don't call the FBI on me. I promise i wont ignite my slippers at the mall ;\

Old 06-09-2010, 06:32 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,621,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
Give me a friggin' break. Terrorist?
Yes, watch out for those confederate flag flying country boys! They're liable to fly a jetliner into a building.

How absurd, and ignorant.
So what do you think Jim Crow was if it wasn't state-sponsored terrorism? You don't have to to fly a jetliner into a building if you can deprive someone of the vote, take their property without due process, and yes, firebomb them with airplanes at will. What do you call that if not terrorist. So yes, this country terrorized a large segment of its population for more than a hundred years. I would certainly consider the people who support it, and the Confederate flag, a well-known symbol of that terror as terrorist-supporters.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:10 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
So what do you think Jim Crow was if it wasn't state-sponsored terrorism? You don't have to to fly a jetliner into a building if you can deprive someone of the vote, take their property without due process, and yes, firebomb them with airplanes at will. What do you call that if not terrorist. So yes, this country terrorized a large segment of its population for more than a hundred years. I would certainly consider the people who support it, and the Confederate flag, a well-known symbol of that terror as terrorist-supporters.
Well, I think terrorism is the wrong word, but there was certainly an element of violence and terror with segregation and Jim Crow. I'm just flabbergasted at the tone deafness of some of comments and what seems like an attitude that what took place before, during, and after the civil war in the south was "no big deal" and even something to be "proud" about.

I had truly hoped that the new south had moved beyond those kinds of attitudes. Has it?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:30 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,161,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
My responses in BOLD. I have spent a good portion of my lifetime, especially my teenage years pondering this, reading books of all sorts, pro-South and pro-North books, neutral, etc. And an open mind led me to my conclusion.
Desert kid you can try to whitewash your position all you want to, but there is no getting around that your position is anti-American to the core. You repeatedly justify secession in a nearly identical way that it was justified back in the 1800s. It doesn't matter how you attempt to spin it: The Southern states betrayed the United States of America, pure and simple.

And the South couldn't just end slavery because economic conditions wouldn't allow it...economic conditions forbid improving working conditions...hmm, where have we heard this one before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars&bars View Post
SLAVERY EXISTS IN AFRICA AND MANY PARTS OF THE WORLD TODAY AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO FIGHT IT, MY BOY???

You say slavery only occured in the South, the southern US but it now happens in AFRICA and ASIA today in the year 2010 and you worry about a CONFEDERATE FLAG..please give it a break, brother!!!
I said no such thing. I'll give you a more detailed response when you stop flaming me and acting like you just finished third grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I agree with almost everything you say.BUT one thing.The South was not totally to blame for its "economic" system.That kinda messes with the fact that it was ONE country prior to the war.Also many Northern companies benefited from slavery and agriculture.From the iron to make the tools,later the cotton gin,the insurance companies that insured the slaves.Not to mention there were PLENTY of Northerners that actually made money directly from owning slaves in the South.

You must also remember that cities like Richmond,New Orleans,Charleston,Savannah and D.C.(it was considered South before the war.) were very wealthy.Cotton might as well been GOLD.King Cotton remember?

Southern plantations generated three-quarters of the world's cotton supply.

The South bet on support from Europe.They did not get it of course.This was a major miscalculation.
Now it is true that the Southern states' economy did depend on exports to a fair extent. That doesn't exclude the possibility of improving worker conditions, however. Did the South completely cease cotton production after the Civil War?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Well, I think terrorism is the wrong word, but there was certainly an element of violence and terror with segregation and Jim Crow. I'm just flabbergasted at the tone deafness of some of comments and what seems like an attitude that what took place before, during, and after the civil war in the south was "no big deal" and even something to be "proud" about.

I had truly hoped that the new south had moved beyond those kinds of attitudes. Has it?
Whether I was white or black, I do know that the past it past and I'm hardly to blame for anything that happened back then, so WHY on earth should I be worried about it? I don't live in the past, but it seems like alot of you do. So to answer your question, Neil, no, I don't think anyone has moved on from those kinds of attitudes.

Yes, I am proud to be a southerner. We have our own culture, too, you know. You are reading way too much into a symbol used in the south to display heritage (if you will) in an attempt to take away something of someone's culture.

If southerners adopted a "new symbol" I have no doubt in my mind it would still be considered "racist" by the very same posters that oppose the confederate flag. Let's not sugarcoat it. If you're white or southern (God forbid both), you should be not be proud of anything of your heritage. Am I close?

Yet if a group tried to take something away of your heritage/culture, you'd be up in arms and probably calling the NAACP on speed dial.

Oh, the irony

Last edited by mcm2010; 06-09-2010 at 08:30 AM..

Old 06-09-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I don't live in the past, but it seems like alot of you do. So to answer your question, Neil, no, I don't think anyone has moved on from those kinds of attitudes.
Huh? I'm not the one flying the Confederate flag or declaring my pride in that history. How am I "living in the past" by pointing out what you acknowledge?

Am I incorrect in my observations?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Huh? I'm not the one flying the Confederate flag or declaring my pride in that history. How am I "living in the past" by pointing out what you acknowledge?

Am I incorrect in my observations?
I'M NOT FLYING A CONFEDERATE FLAG Just kinda defending those who do.

So yes, you are incorrect in your observations.

In a nutshell:
History belongs in text books.

Maybe because I come from a younger generation, perhaps it is ME that has a misconception of the confederate flag. To me it means southern heritage/southern pride. You must first acknowledge that southerners in fact *do* have their own culture. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I'M NOT FLYING A CONFEDERATE FLAG.
Never said you were....relax. That head smacking can hurt.

Quote:
Just kinda defending those who do..
Your prerogative to do so. I stand by my previous comments.

Quote:
History belongs in text books.
Well, yes and no. People need to be aware of history and understand it to avoid making the same mistakes. That's my whole point. Those who fly the Confederate flag don't seem to understand that history and haven't learned its lessons.

Quote:
Maybe because I come from a younger generation, perhaps it is ME that has a misconception of the confederate flag. To me it means southern heritage/southern pride.
Perhaps it is you. Pride in what? Rebellion, slavery, racism and segregation? This is where understanding the history comes in.

Quote:
You must first acknowledge that southerners in fact *do* have their own culture. And there's nothing wrong with that.
Sure, and some of it is shameful and should be put to rest. I also thought that the south was part of the US. You don't hear people talking about "northern heritage" or "midwestern heritage" and being antagonistic and adversarial to people from other parts of the US or people from ethnic backgrounds other than southern white christian.

or.....maybe it's me?

Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 AM

I think it is you.

By your own logic, is perfectly acceptable to be proud of whatever heritage you have, so long as you're not a white southerner?

And yes, other people in the US are proud of their heritage/lineage and/or where they were born. Italians, Hispanics, even African Americans....

You are stereotyping southerners and by that I take offense. But it's all good because you "seem to understand history and have learned its lessons."

Can you not possibly see the contradiction in that?

You said yourself, "People need to be aware of history and understand it to avoid making the same mistakes."
What in Hades do you think *you* are doing????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta