Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:57 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Botanical gardens isn't "small minded thinking." They will go a long ways towards making downtown much more attractive.

Big buildings aren't everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 09:16 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Botanical gardens isn't "small minded thinking." They will go a long ways towards making downtown much more attractive.

Big buildings aren't everything
Especially when they don't have any street level amenities to offer the public.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 AM

^Precisely.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:39 AM

614 posts, read 1,102,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The GGHF could have worked if the citizens knew that it was never going to become a real 'hall of fame' attraction. This was nothing more than a botanical garden, and a couple of statues.

The GGHF site is a civic park on the GRU Cultural/Mills campuses proposal....
http://aug-cdn.com/sites/default/fil...Proposal_0.pdf

With that being the case, why charge admission? I don't know what the people behind this were thinking.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:13 AM

614 posts, read 1,102,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
This thread really just ticked me off. No, let GRU have it, develop the land creating height, urban feel, and true useful resourceful profit. Why must we continue this small minded thinking? Please, please, please no garden, no parking lot ugh!
GRU has enough land. I just don't see them expanding right now or in the future, which is basically what I got from Azziz when he said the University wasn't ready to move on the Mills Campus project. Azziz is going to make GRU a topnotch U. He is raising entrance standards, raising money, and unfortunately may be raising tuition. With 2 of those things happening, I don't expect GRU to grow at the rate that ASU was. Azziz isn't going to let people in for the sake of letting them in to fill up some Mills Campus. On the other hand, if you couldn't get into ASU then you probably can't get into any other 4 yr school in georgia. Dr. Bloodworth had ASU at 7K and on it's way to 10K had he been able to expand. So what happens now, the students that can't get into GRU, who probably would have gotten into ASU, have to go through East Georgia State U! In the end, I don't think that GRU is going to do for downtown what Georgia State is doing for ATL or USC is doing for Columbia, but it will probably be a more prestigious U.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
GRU has enough land. I just don't see them expanding right now or in the future, which is basically what I got from Azziz when he said the University wasn't ready to move on the Mills Campus project. Azziz is going to make GRU a topnotch U. He is raising entrance standards, raising money, and unfortunately may be raising tuition. With 2 of those things happening, I don't expect GRU to grow at the rate that ASU was. Azziz isn't going to let people in for the sake of letting them in to fill up some Mills Campus. On the other hand, if you couldn't get into ASU then you probably can't get into any other 4 yr school in georgia. Dr. Bloodworth had ASU at 7K and on it's way to 10K had he been able to expand. So what happens now, the students that can't get into GRU, who probably would have gotten into ASU, have to go through East Georgia State U! In the end, I don't think that GRU is going to do for downtown what Georgia State is doing for ATL or USC is doing for Columbia, but it will probably be a more prestigious U.
Time will tell on that front. USC is a flagship school and is more comprehensive in nature, so even if that does happen for GRU, it won't be close to an overnight thing.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:36 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,913,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
Exactly, I have posted a map of what the campuses will more than likely become. As I have stated logistical it does not seem smart for GRU to develop two additional campuses with barely 10,000 students.

Georgia Regents University Augusta

The GGHF property as I have stated would be best suited to be more convention space, a large hotel and a site for a possible 10,000 plus seat arena to replace JBA. If you are going to redux the gardens or make a park it should be built by the canal front not the river

Old 05-19-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
The GGHF property as I have stated would be best suited to be more convention space, a large hotel and a site for a possible 10,000 plus seat arena to replace JBA. If you are going to redux the gardens or make a park it should be built by the canal front not the river
More convention space? I think the new convention center is more than adequate at this point. A hotel? Possibly. I also don't a new arena is ideal for a riverfront site.

Why do you not think that restored gardens or a park are appropriate for this site?

Ideally, I think a mixed-use development with some sort of promenade would work really well there but that's a long shot.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:03 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,913,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
More convention space? I think the new convention center is more than adequate at this point. A hotel? Possibly. I also don't a new arena is ideal for a riverfront site.

Why do you not think that restored gardens or a park are appropriate for this site?

Ideally, I think a mixed-use development with some sort of promenade would work really well there but that's a long shot.
A mixed use development would also be ideal. I really like the arena concept because the JBA is old and outdated and personally I feel that in its current location it was doomed to fail. The riverfront could feature a 13,000 seat arena, at least 2 new highrise hotels, the new performing arts center and maybe even a new history museum just to name a few. The site is 17 acres and there is a large empty space next to the Marriott.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:37 PM

998 posts, read 1,550,731 times
Springview park (believe is the name) is right across the street from the old GGHF site... I have yet to see a single soul there each time I drive by... a garden/park would be a waste of riverfront land and money. It just won't fly in this city until downtown gets to where it needs to be, which is getting more people living in and around the downtown core. That takes time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area