Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 09:05 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keatkeat_ View Post
As usual you chose to try to make a plain discussion into a 'gotcha' moment. No one was comparing the two shopping centers and they are both respectable destinations.

Unlike NA, Martinez, ect. Grovetown is not already completely surrounded by development. It has the space and now the population to support a larger shopping center. It will come.
I simply responded to someone's comment which is exactly what your doing. As usual you respond to my post and nobody else. The Augusta Exchange is much bigger than Mullins Crossing and it has nothing to do with a 'gotcha moment'. Nobody ever said Mullins Crossing was bigger anywhere in the entire thread. So who exactly was I trying to get? Stop always reaching for straws..

There's plenty of land in Martinez off Furys Ferry or Riverwatch, South Augusta along I-520, or North Augusta off I-20. A large shopping center is much different from Mullins Crossings or definitely the Augusta Exchange. The two shopping centers aren't the normal strip centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastclevelandguy View Post
What does those areas not having such a development have to do with Grovetown?

I agree the Gateway is not done by a long shot. They are just finishing up the first hotel, and a couple acre parcel across the road is now being developed.
Those areas have more people and more overall disposable income... And the Gateway has normal stores found everywhere all over the CSRA.

Grovetown will definitely have a large shopping center, but the stores and restaurants won't be similar to Mullins Crossing or Augusta Exchange anytime soon.

Last edited by nortonguy; 12-28-2015 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 09:56 PM

194 posts, read 163,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I simply responded to someone's comment which is exactly what your doing. As usual you respond to my post and nobody else. The Augusta Exchange is much bigger than Mullins Crossing and it has nothing to do with a 'gotcha moment'. Nobody ever said Mullins Crossing was bigger anywhere in the entire thread. So who exactly was I trying to get? Stop always reaching for straws..

There's plenty of land in Martinez off Furys Ferry or Riverwatch, South Augusta along I-520, or North Augusta off I-20. A large shopping center is much different from Mullins Crossings or definitely the Augusta Exchange. The two shopping centers aren't the normal strip centers.

Those areas have more people and more overall disposable income... And the Gateway has normal stores found everywhere all over the CSRA.

Grovetown will definitely have a large shopping center, but the stores and restaurants won't be similar to Mullins Crossing or Augusta Exchange anytime soon.
I'm not reaching for straws here. Once again, you had to point out how Augusta was so much better than any of its surrounding areas.

Also, for the record I didn't ONLY reply to you. I also replied to @airforceguy.

So you're saying South Augusta has more disposable income than the multitudes of families moving into 300 thousand dollar houses in the G-town area. I find that extremely hard to believe. Also the Augusta mall is fairly close to South Augusta.

NA has its hands full w/ project Jackson and the development on exit 5. They aren't looking to put even more strain on the area's infrastructure. They seem quite satisfied with the slow, but steady growth they've been seeing. So don't be expecting a major change there.

Fury's Ferry seems quite developed to me? Where do you propose a shopping center the size of Mullins or larger to go without interfering with already established neighborhoods/shopping areas? Plus Washington rd. and it's amenities are easily accessible to those in the area. Furthermore, you have claimed repeatedly that the Village at Riverwatch is a major destination. Now you want to add another onto the same road? A road that is currently under major revamps in order to produce an easier, less hindered commute for those going from Evans/Martinez to Downtown. Doesn't seem very cohesive to me... in my mind shopping centers produce large amounts of traffic... something no one in either of those areas want.

I NEVER claimed that Mullins/Exchange were 'normal strip malls' you're using a very poor straw man argument.

Also, Gateway is currently pretty mundane, no one can dispute that, but if any area shows the greatest potential for growth it is CLEARLY G-town/gateway. Current stores are providing a base for more desirable companies. As I said before. It has the LAND (something other areas lack) plus it is a good distance away from the mall, mullins, exchange ect. and it has a WIDE range of income brackets.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:14 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
How is saying the Augusta Exchange is bigger than Mullins Crossing saying Augusta is so much better than the surrounding areas? All of my comments have revolved around the size of the shopping center and nothing else.

The majority of people moving into Grovetown are moving into homes under 300k. South Augusta does have more overall disposable income based on population.

There's plenty of land near exit 5 and exit 1 in North Augusta. The city of North Augusta desperately needs more large big box stores and restaurants. They are definitely interested in this part of retail.

Riverwatch and Furys Ferry are two different roads. The area off Furys Ferry is near Washington road, Riverwatch Pkwy, and I-20. It's a highly populated area in the CSRA and can support multiple projects.. The Avenue Ferrys Ferry was planned before the recession in North Richmond off Furys Ferry and would have spread into Martinez.

The part about the greatest potential for growth is clearly your opinion and not fact.

Last edited by nortonguy; 12-29-2015 at 12:23 AM..

Old 12-29-2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
The majority of people moving into Grovetown are moving into homes under 300k. South Augusta does have more overall disposable income based on population.

There's plenty of land near exit 5 and exit 1 in North Augusta. The city of North Augusta desperately needs more large big box stores and restaurants. They are definitely interested in this part of retail.

Riverwatch and Furys Ferry are two different roads. The area off Furys Ferry is near Washington road, Riverwatch Pkwy, and I-20. It's a highly populated area in the CSRA and can support multiple projects.. The Avenue Ferrys Ferry was planned before the recession in North Richmond off Furys Ferry and would have spread into Martinez.

The part about the greatest potential for growth is clearly your opinion and not fact.
Driving through South Augusta and seeing what is there I simply will not believe that the area has more disposable income.

With Indian Springs, Canterbury Farms, the subdivisions off Baker Place, Bartram trail, and Tudor Branch (among others) there are plenty of people moving into the grovetown area who have higher incomes.

You fail to actually look at the dynamic of NA. They are content with having bigger, meaningful projects take place (i.e Project Jackson & Scuttles Island), but they are not about to just let big box stores arbitrarily set up shop. NA does not want to look like Evans or Martinez, they have tried desperately to keep their own identity (and have succeeded) they aren't about to change course now. There is a niche for them that cannot be filled by any other area in the CSRA. You saying they "desperately need" more stores is your opinion. I'd say they're doing fine without it.

I understand the difference between Fury's Ferry and Riverwatch... Furys Ferry is fairly developed. You didn't point out a specific place where a shopping center like Mullins would go if it were on that road.(hint... bc there isn't one!)

Meanwhile, Riverwatch is being upgraded not as a way to increase development, but as a way to simplify the commute from evans to downtown. No one is trying to complicate the route further...

You also don't include the idea of basic economics in your points. The major thing is WHY would someone build a large shopping destination near ANY competition (mullins/exchange/mall/village @ riverwatch) if they didnt HAVE to??

The answer is... THEY WOULDN'T. Grovetown provides a new and emerging market that has not been claimed by any development other than Gateway which is continuing to expand. And it would not be direct competition for a shopping center of the Mullins caliber.

EDIT: (to respond to your edit) the discussion was NEVER about comparing the size of the shopping centers until YOU brought it up. You just can't help yourself from being Augusta's biggest cheerleader whenever possible. There was no need to bring up that Exchange was bigger, yet you did it anyway.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:12 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times
Maybe in 10 years or so, but right now Grovetown doesn't have the population figures to support a development as big as Augusta Exchange especially when you already have the Gateway center, the Kroger center coming and another proposed center in the city limits. You will likely see a lot of smaller developments first. Plus a shopping Center on the scale of the Exchange relies on not just the immediate surround population but the areas around it as well. I would think you would need to see more growth out in Appling and Harlem first.

Now while the Gateway may not be as big as Augusta Exchange its still a decent sized project for Grovetown. And its more of a mixed use development while the Augusta Exchange is mostly just a Large shopping center.

Last edited by PJA; 12-29-2015 at 06:43 AM..

Old 12-29-2015, 06:15 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by keatkeat_ View Post
I'm not reaching for straws here. Once again, you had to point out how Augusta was so much better than any of its surrounding areas.

Also, for the record I didn't ONLY reply to you. I also replied to @airforceguy.

So you're saying South Augusta has more disposable income than the multitudes of families moving into 300 thousand dollar houses in the G-town area. I find that extremely hard to believe. Also the Augusta mall is fairly close to South Augusta.

NA has its hands full w/ project Jackson and the development on exit 5. They aren't looking to put even more strain on the area's infrastructure. They seem quite satisfied with the slow, but steady growth they've been seeing. So don't be expecting a major change there.

Fury's Ferry seems quite developed to me? Where do you propose a shopping center the size of Mullins or larger to go without interfering with already established neighborhoods/shopping areas? Plus Washington rd. and it's amenities are easily accessible to those in the area. Furthermore, you have claimed repeatedly that the Village at Riverwatch is a major destination. Now you want to add another onto the same road? A road that is currently under major revamps in order to produce an easier, less hindered commute for those going from Evans/Martinez to Downtown. Doesn't seem very cohesive to me... in my mind shopping centers produce large amounts of traffic... something no one in either of those areas want.

I NEVER claimed that Mullins/Exchange were 'normal strip malls' you're using a very poor straw man argument.

Also, Gateway is currently pretty mundane, no one can dispute that, but if any area shows the greatest potential for growth it is CLEARLY G-town/gateway. Current stores are providing a base for more desirable companies. As I said before. It has the LAND (something other areas lack) plus it is a good distance away from the mall, mullins, exchange ect. and it has a WIDE range of income brackets.

North Augusta has yet another shopping center planned on the other side of i-20 on Hwy 25.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:18 AM
PJA

Quote:
How is saying the Augusta Exchange is bigger than Mullins Crossing saying Augusta is so much better than the surrounding areas? All of my comments have revolved around the size of the shopping center and nothing else.

Well you did bring up Augusta Exchange being bigger than Mullins Crossing for really no reason at all as that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Maybe in 10 years or so, but right now Grovetown doesn't have the population figures to support a development as big as Augusta Exchange especially when you already have the Gateway center, the Kroger center coming and another proposed center in the city limits. You will likely see a lot of smaller developments first. Plus a shopping Center on the scale of the Exchange relies on not just the immediate surround population but the areas around it as well. I would think you would need to see more growth out in Appling and Harlem first.

Now while the Gateway may not be as big as Augusta Exchange its still a decent sized project for Grovetown. And its more of a mixed use development while the Augusta Exchange is mostly just a Large shopping center.
I agree that one the size of the Augusta Exchange is out of Grovetown's league right now. And I agree that the surrounding areas would need to see more growth for it to happen, but I do believe that growth is coming.

And you're also right about Gateway having a more mixed use feel which, IMO, gives it more flexibility in the future. A scenario in which that development is simply expanded to include stores that are found elsewhere, (mullins/exchange) when the time comes, instead of starting a whole new project is very possible.

Quote:
North Augusta has yet another shopping center planned on the other side of i-20 on Hwy 25.

Which was kind of my point, they are focused on certain aspects of their community. Right now with the development on exit 5, project jackson, scuttles island they are pretty busy. The idea that NA is gonna haul off with another project on the scale of Mullins or larger doesn't hold a lot of water to me. However, I hadn't heard about another shopping center so I'm not sure what stores are looking to locate there or how large it is.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:50 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,395 times
Quote:
So what do you know that hasn't been announced yet? I know a council member or two and haven't heard of anything on the Belvedere side of the interstate that you're apparently talking about here.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:09 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
So what do you know that hasn't been announced yet? I know a council member or two and haven't heard of anything on the Belvedere side of the interstate that you're apparently talking about here.
Not sure whats going there, just saw the sign last week while driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area