Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:39 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Apparently 95-96f is my limit. Today I was miserable, and I have no doubt theres about two months of this left.

Time to crawl into my shell and try to survive this heat without getting too grumpy.

How is everyone else coping? Some part lizard folks out there apparently seem to like this stuff.

The wonderful thing about heat stroke is once you've had it ...it's more likely to happen again.

Personally, I'm just delighted to walk outside at 4AM and have it be 80 degrees as a low!
I love being soaked in sweat after 15 minutes outside and smelling like a gym locker room if I haven't taken my noon time, pre-lunch shower!

But seriously, try soaking your t-shirt or whatever in ice water before you go outside for a walk.
It's cold at first and you may look silly but it really works wonders!

The Mexican guys I used to do day labor with told me about that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:08 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,609 times
I guess I am one of those part-lizard people. While I do not love this heat: I recommend spending February in New York or March in Chicago or Toronto, and in recollection, July in Austin might feel positively pleasant. Having had both, I will take heatstroke, which is a little scarier, over frostbite, which is much more unpleasant and lasts longer. I have never had hypothermia.

I find if I can spend fifteen minutes in Barton Springs or Deep Eddy or Town/LadyBird Lake just below the dam off Red Bud Isle (you are not supposed to swim there, but everyone does) or in Lake Austin, the coldness of the water cools me down for the rest of the day, and I do not feel the heat so much!

To day was brutal. Be grateful for your capacity to forget!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:15 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
I love these 100* days! I was out in the yard most of the day. Vitamin D, folks!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,149 times
I hate it. It's miserable trying to do anything with sweat dripping down my face, splashing on the inside of my sunglasses, soaking every bit of clothing I'm wearing. UGH!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
I love it, today I mowed the lawn, swam in the pool, played volleyball, swam in the pool, bbq'ed, swam in the pool :-)

Old 06-27-2010, 10:26 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,137 times
YEY! Skin cancer!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:29 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
I mowed my yard and trimmed some trees. I turned 50 so I understand your pain.

Do what I do: inform your neighbors you are going to dance naked in your backyard with a cold Lone Star and pray for water. It avoids a lot of controversy.

Welcome to summer time in Austin. You need a time out at the Shady Grove. I'll buy you some Shiner and their tortilla encrusted catfish. It's all good baby.

If necessary, work a 2nd job to keep the thermostat at 79F. You'll be OK.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:48 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
I'm not in Austin but comparing temperatures today, my location and Austin are just about the same. It's very hard to work outside in this heat, but I keep doing it. I am 61. Friday morning, I trimmed shrubs, weed whacked the front yard, pulled weeds, etc. for about 3 1/2 hours stopping at 11 a.m. This morning, I walked for 2 miles starting at 6:30 a.m. Tonight, I weed whacked the back yard and mowed it. That took about 2 1/2 hours. It was miserable in the a.m. and the p.m.

There is just no time when it's truly comfortable outside unless one is just sitting and doing nothing. Then early morning or after dark is bearable.

There is absolutely no way I'm staying in the house all summer, but I do choose the coolest (Ha! ... really no such word when it comes to Texas summers) time to do any physical work.

My guess is that we're in for a longer haul than two more months of this ridiculous heat.

P.S. I'm not like a drunk; I remember explicitly how I hate summer and I dread it before it ever arrives.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:01 PM

36 posts, read 91,679 times
when does it start to cool off?

Old 06-27-2010, 11:11 PM

392 posts, read 749,384 times
In South Louisiana, over here we don't really get relief until mid October. In North Louisiana, where I grew up, we got relief in September. It actually feels pretty decent outside right now (midnight), except that it's as humid as always, so even though you think it's nice, you start sweating about 10 minutes after sitting outside. I personally don't mentally "mind" the heat, since I play sports in it all the time anyway, but it doesn't stop me from sweating anyway. I just drink a lot of water and keep moving. When I move to Austin, it shouldn't be problem. I look forward to swimming in the cool springs there. All the water here just feels like a freakin' hot tub at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin