Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:52 AM

653 posts, read 1,795,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
If you want to enjoy the summers here you need to focus on water sports. Boating and swimming at the lake or many swimming holes in the area, innertubing, canoeing or rafting the rivers, anything that gives you a chance to get wet often.
When I was a kid, I loved really hot weather, combined with being somewhere that had a cold lake to swim in.
I loved the contrast.
But I think that what I remember as really hot, was more like the high 80s and maybe into the mid 90s.

If I didn't work on the North end of Austin, I think I would have spent the extra $ to be within an easy (meaning direct bus route or walking) commute to Barton Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:56 AM

36 posts, read 91,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Actually, she lives in Winchester, CA according to her location and it actually shows the high as being in the low 90's every day. Being familiar with the climate there, the real difference is that it's very dry in inland Southern California because it's basically the desert. Also, it cools off considerably there at night. The lows there will be in the high 50's at night even though it was 95 during the day. Here in Austin, it will still be in the 80's for most of the night so we need to run the AC all night long. Plus, add the extra humidity that they don't see in the CA desert and it even feels a bit warmer here. Just looking at the high of the day doesn't tell the whole story.
Yep!

Our lifesaver is our whole house fan we use it every night so we don't have to run the a/c as much. Last year we only ran the ac at night may for 5 days when we had the warmest nights and it was a little humid.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,890 times
No worries guys....the Hurricane later in the week will cool things off a little.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:26 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
No worries guys....the Hurricane later in the week will cool things off a little.
Hound isn't kidding either:

10 Day Weather Forecast for Austin, TX - weather.com

Just three days ago, the local weathermen said we weren't getting any rain until at least after the July 4th weekend.. but it looks like we have a 40-50% avg rain chance every day for the next 10 days straight!

..In July no less...wow!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 PM

It is not just mental.
There is a mental component to it, but reality can not be imagined completely away.
(Maybe some people can do it, but I can not, and I have a reasonably good imagination.)

Old 07-01-2010, 01:58 AM

462 posts, read 1,009,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I'm not in Austin but comparing temperatures today, my location and Austin are just about the same.

There is just no time when it's truly comfortable outside unless one is just sitting and doing nothing. There is absolutely no way I'm staying in the house all summer, but I do choose the coolest (Ha! ... really no such word when it comes to Texas summers) time to do any physical work. My guess is that we're in for a longer haul than two more months of this ridiculous heat.

P.S. I'm not like a drunk; I remember explicitly how I hate summer and I dread it before it ever arrives.
Looking at moving to suburb of Austin to be closer to family; we're now in Eastern New Mexico where the weather is the best no matter what time of the year ~ summers are good out here - not too hot; the minute the sun hits the horizon, it cools down nicely. We are dreading leaving the great weather of New Mexico (dry~ no 'real' humidity)

Old 07-01-2010, 05:24 AM

40 posts, read 206,818 times
I'm from D.C. but have been in Texas 20+ years and still the heat kills me. It makes fall all the more sweet. If you like the rivers around the Hill Country, I suggest Mo Ranch ... beyond awesome. Spring fed river ... slow running ... take your floaty, couple of beers and enjoy the day.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 AM

I am now a big fan of Hurricanes.
I want them, lots of them. They have a cooling effect. This gives me a chance to do things I prefer to not do during the heat.
I can run the clothes dryer and still keep my apartment cool enough to sleep in. My apartment actually got down to 72.

I feel a bit selfish, since Hurricanes cause so much grief to others. But it is not as if my liking them increases their occurrence.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:04 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
I'm dying with this week of gloomy rain. Bring back the sunshine and 100* please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-02-2010, 09:58 AM

392 posts, read 749,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
I am now a big fan of Hurricanes.
I want them, lots of them. They have a cooling effect. This gives me a chance to do things I prefer to not do during the heat.
I can run the clothes dryer and still keep my apartment cool enough to sleep in. My apartment actually got down to 72.

I feel a bit selfish, since Hurricanes cause so much grief to others. But it is not as if my liking them increases their occurrence.

Hurricanes aren't a great topic here in Louisiana, but they are nice when they just come kinda somewhere near-ish, but not TOO close, because they cool everything off. It's been nice here too, because of Alex. I hope it wasn't too bad for the folks down in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin