Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,624,238 times

Advertisements

Matt's El Rancho on South lamamr is pretty good also check out Hula Hut on Lake Austin

Welcome to Matt's Famous El Rancho

http://www.hulahut.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 08:53 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
QueensKid -

Be careful. You might end up staying here for good

-- a BronxKid

Old 06-28-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Matt's El Rancho on South lamamr is pretty good also check out Hula Hut on Lake Austin

Welcome to Matt's Famous El Rancho

Hula Hut - Lake Austin - Austin, Texas

That's supposed to be Lamar I typed it to fast

Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,619 times
I'm new in Austin, so last weekend I drove out to Elgin then down to Lockhart for a Hill Country BBQ tour. In the end, the extra moist brisket at Rudy's is still the best. Next time, I'll try City Market.

The view of Lake Travis is amazing from up high. If it weren't so hot, I could spend the whole day overlooking the lake.

I don't know about September, but coming from NY, it is freaky hot here. And humid. I don't recall ever being so hot in NY. The sun is also much more brutal. I get tan just thinking about it.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:05 PM

399 posts, read 974,794 times
I'd go for Trudy's over Chuy's. I'm partial to the green chile chicken tacos there. Definitely check out the Alamo Drafthouse - the "in-laws" from NYC insist on going there pretty much every time they're in town.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:54 PM

313 posts, read 786,681 times
welcome, ex nyc'er myself.

If you are here for a bachaelor party, no one is going to want to drive out 25 minutes and back to Lake Travis from where you're staying nor one of the bbq mecca's (Lockhart, etc).

Stay local....

-BBQ: You *must* do BBQ, its the only cuisine you won't beat any where else though most of it is an hour away. In town, Franklin (Franklin Barbecue, Austin, Tx) for lunch is a roadside truck off I35. They run out around 1pm so show up before then. Mixes foodyism like espesso-bbq sauce with very legit meat (I'm not from texas, but I've been to at least 50 bbq places here, trust me, its very legit meat)
-It'll be around 90, go swimming. On a weekend, get to Barton Spring by 10am so you can enjoy it. If you really want to be impressed, go to Hamilton Pool, same time problems on a weekend and also 35 minutes from where you're staying.
-As for nightlife - you need to explain your age and ideal outcome for an evening to give you better recs

Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 PM

Here's a couple bbq places to check out

Green Mesquite BBQ and more

Salt Lick Bar-B-Que Restaurant – Austin, Round Rock, Hill Country, Texas

The County Line BBQ-come see us for great food & fun! (http://www.countyline.com/comeseeus.asp#Austin - broken link) (On the Lake)

The County Line BBQ-come see us for great food & fun! (http://www.countyline.com/comeseeus.asp#Austin - broken link) (On the Hill)

Old 06-29-2010, 08:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
We went to Franklin BBQ for our anniversary lunch, based on recommendations here - I was really excited, new BBQ place with great reviews! I have to say, sadly, that we were SORELY disappointed and cannot for the life of us figure out what the fuss is about. We were one of the first in line, so it couldn't be that they'd run out of the good stuff.

So, to console ourselves, the next weekend (they're only open on weekends, until 3:00 p.m., and you should really get there before then lest they run out), we went up the road to Bartlett to Perez BBQ. Used to be in a trailer, now they have an actual building - of sorts - but they're still only open Saturday and Sunday. Some of the best brisket I've found anywhere. Almost afraid to mention it for that reason.

paul6835, the OP specifically mentioned that he, personally, was willing to drive two hours for good food. Thus the various recommendations for places that aren't right smack dab in the middle of town (as well as a few that are - Park Place and Iron Works, for example).

Old 06-29-2010, 08:38 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Just heard back from the son (reminder: Texas born and bred, foodie, lived in and loves NYC like he loves his mother, near as I can tell, back here now and I asked him for recommendations for someone from NYC wanting to experience Austin):

"For a great mexican breakfast, I would recommend habanero on oltorf just east of s. 1st. Specifically the chori-migas.
Shady Grove for a real Austin experience. Dirty's for a greasy burger. East Side Cafe for natural, locally sourced goodness (did you know that the owner and a partner have started an urban farm, complete with chickens?). Sam's bbq for east side old time atmosphere. I'll send more as I think of them. Oh, Threadgill's for down home."

Cannot BELIEVE that I forgot most of those. I mean, Dirty's, of course! And Threadgill's (north, not south, if you want to be where Janis got her start).

Old 06-29-2010, 12:41 PM

313 posts, read 786,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
paul6835, the OP specifically mentioned that he, personally, was willing to drive two hours for good food.
That was personal advice, having had and been to many bachaelor parties.

Surprised you didn't like Franklin, though BBQ can be hit or miss, even at the same place. Its certainly a favorite local option among the foodie blogs. It also covers the "food trailer" trend in Austin. I'm reading it can be long waits, so maybe a drive is a push.

If you're willing to drive, Smitty's or Kreutz in Lockhart are the best combo of "rural Texas town BBQ joint" atmosphere with good BBQ. Kruetz is where Hill Country BBQ in NYC got its training and inspiration. Smitty's is in Kruetz's original building after a fued split Kruetz into 2 joints. If you're going to drive that far, go to both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin