Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 PM

224 posts, read 675,775 times

Advertisements

Hey all-

I'm going to Texas (Austin) for the first time and I was hoping for some guidance.

I'm there four days and staying in West Lake Hills. I'm going with a bunch of guys as part of a bachelor party celebration.

I have some questions:

1. How hot is it going to be the second week of September?

2. I'm an explorer; is there an area I should avoid because it's crime-ridden, etc.?

3. I'm interested in seeing the flight of the bats. Is it worth my time? Best time to go? Secret spot to view from?

4. Best food? I want Tex-Mex and BBQ--I'm assuming that's what you're known for down there. Lay it on me. I don't care if I have to drive two hours--if the food is good, I'm there.

5. Is Lake Travis a must-see? Any other must-sees?

I really want to get a feel for the authenticity of the city and experience it the way a local would. So, please, if you have any recommendations, I'm all ears. I don't care if it's your favorite bar down the block. If you think it's great, I want to check it out.

Lastly, because this is a bachelor party trip, any insight to the nightlife scene would be appreciated.

Thanks a ton; I appreciate it. If you ever want to know anything about NYC, let me know--I'm your guy.

I look forward to experiencing your home city and state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 07:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Try Azul Tequila on Ben White and South Lamar for Interior Texas born and bred who lived in DC and NYC for several years, swears by them, though I'll ask him for some other recommendations for someone coming here from NYC.

You should also check out the food wagons on South Congress in the SoCo district. Just for fun.

There are some areas that are not as nice as others, but coming from NYC, you'd probably laugh at anyone saying they're the "bad" parts of town to be avoided. And, in fact, 5'2" 60-year-old lady that I am, I've actually been in some of them in the daytime.

BBQ. You're right, you'll need to eat some BBQ while you're here (though said foodie son actually called me from outside the BBQ place that opened in NYC just before he moved down here, to tell me that they had actually gotten it right - high accolades, indeed!). If you'll have a car and can drive a bit, head on down 183 to City Market in Luling (some folks will say Lockhart, but City Market is SO much better than anything in Lockhart, which is resting on its laurels in my opinion). Or go to Coopers in Llano (opposite direction) - it's widely considered to be BBQ Mecca. Or Sam's on East 12th, where when it burned down lo these many years ago, the next morning there were State Senators and Stevie Ray Vaughn and others helping clean up so that Sam could get back in business as fast as possible. If you're going to be stuck in town for any reason, try Park House BBQ on 12th Street just east of Lamar, or Iron Works downtown. Then go to Lady Bird Lake to walk it off and while you're at it, check out Zilker Park (other side of the lake).

Old 06-28-2010, 08:07 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
1. How hot is it going to be the second week of September?
It will be hot. High temps will be mid-90s.

Quote:
2. I'm an explorer; is there an area I should avoid because it's crime-ridden, etc.?
As per THL above.

Quote:
3. I'm interested in seeing the flight of the bats. Is it worth my time? Best time to go? Secret spot to view from?
No secret spot that I know of. Yes is it worth seeing.

Quote:
4. Best food? I want Tex-Mex and BBQ--I'm assuming that's what you're known for down there. Lay it on me. I don't care if I have to drive two hours--if the food is good, I'm there.
I am not a fan of Coopers (in Llano) after two sub-par meals there. The problem is probably WHEN you get there. They don't cook all day. If you get there when the meat is past prime, it is dry and tough. I haven't been to the other legendary places in Lockhart. I prefer consistent BBQ so I am a big fan of Rudy's, a Texas-based chain. Their moist brisket is a bit fatty, crusty on the outside, and always good. Their pork loin and baby back ribs are very good. I would not make any effort to go to the County Line, a local place because it is just too middle of the road. Not bad BBQ by any means but it caters a bit too much to tourists.

I like Chuy's and Trudy's for Tex-Mex. Some say Chuy's is New Mexico-Mex (because they use more green chiles). Chuy's is purposely tacky, but a great local business and I love almost any of their chicken enchiladas. Trudy's migas enchiladas with chipotle sauce is a definite waker-upper. Gotta have one of their Mexican Martinis.

Quote:
5. Is Lake Travis a must-see? Any other must-sees?
Yes. If all you want to do is see it - have a drink at the Oasis. Food is so-so. But the cliffside view several hundred feet up is terrific. If you want to enjoy the lake - rent a boat or jetski. The water temp will be terrific and in September the lake is calmer than during the summer.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:58 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
See a movie at Alamo Drafthouse.

Bowling at the Highball.

Eat at one or more of the trailer park eateries on South First Street.

IronWorks for BBQ.

Chuy's on Barton Springs for TexMex.

Definitely go to the Oasis. Food sucks. I usually just get chips, salsa and queso. The view is awesome.

Go swimming at Deep Eddy and/or Barton Springs. Nothing will feel better in September!

Definitely walk the Town Lake Hike and Bike Trail. (It's officially Lady Bird Lake now but everybody still calls it Town Lake).

Check out Heritage Boots downtown. These are not your ordinary cowboy boots.

Go to Whole Foods downtown. Again, not your ordinary Whole Foods.

Definitely see Esther's Follies, sort of a vaudeville, magic, comedy show. Very, very funny.

Check out Wild About Music, a great store on Sixth Street (near Congress).

See who's playing at various venues while you're here. A few: Continental Club, Momo's, Broken Spoke, Antone's, Stubb's, The Backyard, Emo's, La Zona Rosa. Here's a website for one of many music calendars. Check back closer to September:

Austin Music Attractions | Austin Texas Music Attractions

Old 06-28-2010, 09:42 AM

While you're at the Whole Foods downtown, check out Book People across the street. Awesome local bookstore.

Also, if you're driving out to the Oasis, an alternative with a great view (and slightly better food and margaritas, in my opinion) is Iguana Grill.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
.....BBQ. You're right, you'll need to eat some BBQ while you're here ...... If you'll have a car and can drive a bit, head on down 183 to City Market in Luling (some folks will say Lockhart, but City Market is SO much better than anything in Lockhart, which is resting on its laurels in my opinion).

I think the almost always correct Ms. Horselady is a little too hard on the two legendary Lockhart joints (Smitty's & Kreuz's)....both are worth a stop...but i agree with her that Luling City Market is the best, so why not stop at all 3 on your BBQ pilgrimage down US 183?

Smitty's Market

Welcome to KreuzMarket.com!

Luling City Market ~ Real Texas Bar-B-Que

Or go to Coopers in Llano (opposite direction) - it's widely considered to be BBQ Mecca.

I'd stop by the Cooper's in NB for your Cooper's fix (or Granzin's, the locals choice)....& while you are in NB, maybe first have a float down the Comal....& then after some BBQ, head over to Gruene Hall for a 12 oz. beverage & Americana music.

Cooper's BBQ: New Braunfels, Texas | (830) 627-0627 |

home

Landa Falls

Gruene Hall Official Home Page

Have a good time in Austin & keep it between the ditches.

Last edited by hound 109; 06-28-2010 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 03:51 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Many of us try to avoid the chain restaurants (yes, we have them here too) and I recommend you do too if you want to experience Austin.

So, for Mexican, try Sazon on South Lamar. Their pork and fish dishes are to die for. It is a hole in the wall so don't get discouraged by the run down appearance. Another good choice for Mexican is Guero's on South Congress. It has great character, great margaritas and good Tex-Mex food.

For upscale, go to Hudson's on the Bend for a unique Austin experience. It's 20 minutes west of town and they have a wide variety of wild game dishes including rattlesnake cakes.

For upscale Mexican, go to Fonda San Miguel. Really good food that is a far cry from Tex-Mex.

For Bar-B-Que, I like Rudy's BBQ beef (OK, it's a chain, but it's also served in a gas station and you order by the pound). If you don't mind driving, go to Lockhart (30 miles South of Austin) and try Kreuz or Smitty's. I think Kreuz and Smitty's are much better than the more popular Salt Lick. And avoid County Line.... it's a chain without the real down home Texas character.

Oh and by the way, "upscale" in Austin means you should wear clean jeans.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:03 PM

In my opinion, Rudy's is reliable BBQ, but not something you want to experience as your example of Texas BBQ if you're only going to get to eat at one or two or even three places.

Azul Tequila and Fonda San Miguel both serve excellent interior Mexican. They both make excellent Margaritas. At Fonda San Miguel (an outstanding experience), you pay for the ambiance, about three times what you pay at Azul Tequila which is in a strip center next to a Target, but don't let that fool you.

I IM'd with my son (the one who lived in Astoria), who said he'll make up a list for you.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:03 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,942 times
Quote:
Oh and by the way, "upscale" in Austin means you should wear clean jeans.
& hose off your flip flops.

I'm not familiar with Sazon's....but if you recommend Fish AND Pork there, i'm all over it. Thanks Road King.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:46 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,787 times
There's a cool burger place called Ski Shores that isn't on Lake Travis but Lake Austin that's a great hang. Right on the water, super-divey place to eat greasy food and watch boats and look at awesome houses.
http://www.skishoresblog.com/

Tacos: Torchy's - there are multiple locations now but I like the place on S 1st (the restaurant not the trailer - I guess they call it "Torchy's Getaway" now)
Torchy's Tacos ~ South Austin Trailer Park & Eatery

Mexican: I'll second Sazon
Sazon Mexican Restaurant - Austin, Texas

Dive Bar with Austin authenticity: Horseshoe Lounge
...uh, no website

Definitely check out the Alamo Drafthouse. Their sing-a-longs and movie mockery's are a lot of fun (we usually got to the South Lamar or downtown "Ritz" locations)
Alamo Drafthouse :: Main Page

Go swimming at Barton Springs
Barton Springs

Some things on the East side:

Casa Columbia is a decent...uh, Columbian restaurant(pretty high yelp ratings, if that means anything to you)
Casa Colombia Restaurant

The Scoot Inn is a fun, quirky bar with live music: sort of Deadwood meets Northern Exposure...
The Scoot Inn | Longbranch Inn

Oh, and a great way to see the bats is on one of those little boat rides...can't remember the names but there are a few different choices. They are near the S 1st and S Congress bridges.

Have fun. Don't forget your sunscreen

Last edited by twange; 06-28-2010 at 04:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin