Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:41 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times

Advertisements

Sorry THL but Threadgills gets my vote for most over-rated, most over-hyped restaurant in Austin. I only go when out of towners insist. The food is very ordinary home-cooking or comfort food. Service is ho-hum. Chili's serves a more tasty and tender chicken fried steak.

Sometimes I wonder if it earned its rep when everyone was trying to be like Janis - stoned or on heroin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 12:51 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Yeah, I know it got good reps in Yelp and Chowhound, and we had high expectations because of that, but then, once we ate there, we wondered where on earth those folks had had BBQ before. Did love the coffee BBQ sauce, though! Now, if they'd market THAT, I'd be all over it!

If you're going to drive as far as Lockhart, keep going to Luling to City Market. Since the "family feud", I haven't been particularly pleased with either Kreutz's or Smitty's. Or, heck, hit all of them, get BBQ to go, and make up your own mind! (Can you tell we take our 'cue seriously around here? )

Old 06-29-2010, 01:29 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,890 times
I forgot about Dirty's.

Along with my recommendation to drive to Lockhart & Luling.....& on another day a BBQ/CFS/Toobing/GrueneHall visit to New Braunfels/Gruene.....I also recomend a fine dining day in Austin for:

- An OT Special (with mustard instead of mayo) & a Dr. Pepper at Dirty's (sit at the counter & watch them smash the golf ball sized beef ball on the 50+ y/o griddle).

Dirty Martins Kum-Bak Place - Austin TX - Home

- A bowl of XX (or XX Frito Pie) at Texas Chili Parlor. (XXX if you're a better man than me)

Texas Chili Parlor: Menu

Old 06-29-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I forgot about Dirty's.

Along with my recommendation to drive to Lockhart & Luling.....& on another day a BBQ/CFS/Toobing/GrueneHall visit to New Braunfels/Gruene.....I also recomend a fine dining day in Austin for:

- An OT Special (with mustard instead of mayo) & a Dr. Pepper at Dirty's (sit at the counter & watch them smash the golf ball sized beef ball on the 50+ y/o griddle).

Dirty Martins Kum-Bak Place - Austin TX - Home

- A bowl of XX (or XX Frito Pie) at Texas Chili Parlor. (XXX if you're a better man than me)

Texas Chili Parlor: Menu

And how could we forget Nau's Enfield Drug on West Lynn! Been a hometown pharmacy and soda fountain since 1951.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Sorry THL but Threadgills gets my vote for most over-rated, most over-hyped restaurant in Austin. I only go when out of towners insist. The food is very ordinary home-cooking or comfort food. Service is ho-hum. Chili's serves a more tasty and tender chicken fried steak.

Sometimes I wonder if it earned its rep when everyone was trying to be like Janis - stoned or on heroin.
No, it earned its reputation quite some time ago (I still have dreams about the pork roast with Jezebel sauce, which I didn't find on the menu last time I went), and it's been resting on its laurels for a while. But if you know what to order, you can still get good food there, and it IS an Austin experience, if not one of the more delicious ones any longer.

Problem is, as happens to so many great places (something I sometimes worry about happening to Austin), it got "discovered" and outgrew itself, I think.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 AM

224 posts, read 676,288 times
You are all so incredibly wonderful. Thanks so much for the tips.

Unfortunately, I'll only be in town five days (Wednesday through Sunday), and I'm flying in to San Antonio and driving up to where I'm staying (rented a house between Rollingwood/West Lake Hills).

But I gather I can stop at Lockhart or New Braumfels for lunch on the way up.

Lake Travis seems like a must, especially if it's going to be 100 degrees.

I'll have to whip up an itinerary.

I'm a low-key, laid-back guy, but my friends are insane. We're all in our early 30s. I'm getting married in October, so these guys--all of whom are married and so looking forward to going crazy--are probably going to look for more wild stuff to do.

If you see a guy riding a mechanical bull in the nude, please keep the photos from the waist up.

Seriously, folks, thanks a bunch for your input. If you ever make it out to NYC, hit me up and I'll show you around Queens (the real New York!).

Old 06-30-2010, 12:23 AM

18 posts, read 52,589 times
Re: Threadgill's, no point in going there unless it's for Sunday Gospel Brunch. Hoover's on the east side is the best comfort food in town (at least that I've had). Only downside is I don't know if the atmosphere is that great for a big party.

I would second the calls to go to Barton Springs--you won't find a more quintessential Austin experience than this, and it's much closer-in than Lake Travis (Barton Springs is right in the middle of the city). That being said, if you have time to do both, I fully recommend it.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:09 AM

224 posts, read 676,288 times
And where will all the UT cheerleaders be?

I got tickets to the home opener against Wyoming.

I'm so excited!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:15 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,900,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
If you ever make it out to NYC, hit me up and I'll show you around Queens (the real New York!).
I've been to Queens a bunch and love it. I always felt that if I lived anywhere in NYC, it would be Queens. REAL neighborhoods with REAL people. Unlike Brooklyn these days which seem to be mostly posers. I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolk2543 View Post
Re: Threadgill's, no point in going there unless it's for Sunday Gospel Brunch. Hoover's on the east side is the best comfort food in town (at least that I've had). Only downside is I don't know if the atmosphere is that great for a big party.
Hoover's rocks. Every time I eat there, I have to sleep for like a week

Old 06-30-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
You are all so incredibly wonderful. Thanks so much for the tips.

Unfortunately, I'll only be in town five days (Wednesday through Sunday), and I'm flying in to San Antonio and driving up to where I'm staying (rented a house between Rollingwood/West Lake Hills).

But I gather I can stop at Lockhart or New Braumfels for lunch on the way up.

Lake Travis seems like a must, especially if it's going to be 100 degrees.

I'll have to whip up an itinerary.

I'm a low-key, laid-back guy, but my friends are insane. We're all in our early 30s. I'm getting married in October, so these guys--all of whom are married and so looking forward to going crazy--are probably going to look for more wild stuff to do.

If you see a guy riding a mechanical bull in the nude, please keep the photos from the waist up.

Seriously, folks, thanks a bunch for your input. If you ever make it out to NYC, hit me up and I'll show you around Queens (the real New York!).
Obviously, you're going to have to make two trips!

And my son lived in Queens - Astoria. Absolutely loved it.

New Braunfels is on I35 between San Antonio and Austin, so Cooper's there would be your best bet. Reports back from the son are that it is as good as the Cooper's in Llano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin