Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:03 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,624,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
You are all so incredibly wonderful. Thanks so much for the tips.

Unfortunately, I'll only be in town five days (Wednesday through Sunday), and I'm flying in to San Antonio and driving up to where I'm staying (rented a house between Rollingwood/West Lake Hills).

But I gather I can stop at Lockhart or New Braumfels for lunch on the way up.

Lake Travis seems like a must, especially if it's going to be 100 degrees.

I'll have to whip up an itinerary.

I'm a low-key, laid-back guy, but my friends are insane. We're all in our early 30s. I'm getting married in October, so these guys--all of whom are married and so looking forward to going crazy--are probably going to look for more wild stuff to do.

If you see a guy riding a mechanical bull in the nude, please keep the photos from the waist up.

Seriously, folks, thanks a bunch for your input. If you ever make it out to NYC, hit me up and I'll show you around Queens (the real New York!).

If your flying into San Antonio and have time and want to check out restaurants in SA for tex-mex here's some of my favorites.

Home | La Fogata (http://www.lafogata.com/main/index.php - broken link)

Welcome to El Jarro

Mi Tierra Restaurant & Bakery

Blank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 10:46 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,417 times
Check out the restaurants and shops on South Congress and South First.

Go swimming at Barton Springs Pool or skinny dipping at Hippie Hollow, a clothing-optional park on the lake. You can also rent a jet ski or boat.

Go to the top of Mount Bonnell, and check out Mayfield Park nearby.

Take a walk on the "drag", a section of Guadalupe Street near campus. Check out the food at Wheatsville Coop, Tom's Tabooley, El Chilito, Kerbey Lane Cafe, and many other restaurants.

Take a tour of underground caves at Natural Bridge Caverns.

You must check out "I Love Video" on Airport Boulevard.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:38 PM

442 posts, read 1,297,266 times
whats up son im reppin queens as well. im bout to move to austin have fun!

Old 07-01-2010, 10:09 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,773,367 times
It's a bachelor party so I am imagining there might be some serious drinking involved. If so, and coming from NYC, you will feel like you have hit the jackpot. Close to a dozen places in and near downtown have artisanal cocktails for $5 or so btw 4 and 7. I would do a stumble from La Condesa to Peche to Annies to Parkside (If you are here for a Wednesday night, Parkside has half-price oysters and champagne all night and they serve food until 1.am) downtown - all of which have excellent food, hit up Clive's and Lustre Pearl in the Rainey Street District - a 10 minute walk from most of the above, check out Rio Rita, Shangri-La, East Side Showroom, Liberty Bar, The Good Knight on the near east side - a five minute cab ride from downtown. All have spectacular drinks and compared to Manhattan prices, booze will feel practically free. It is also not easy to get a bad margarita in this town, though locals have passionate opinions on this subject. There are also many dancing options downtown. Different places are better depending on the days of the week, and everywhere is going to be packed and crazy on Friday and Saturday nights, though you can have a wild night out almost any night if you pick carefully. The best Texas honky-tonk for dancing would be The Broken Spoke on South Lamar, where you realize that the two-step done well is actually an art form. You have good food recommendations already. I would also consider Austin's burgeoning food trailer scene - Odd Duck Farm to Trailer on South Lamar has the best food from a cart I have eaten outside of Mexico City. East Side Kings - the trailer in the back of the Liberty Bar on east 6th has arguably the best pan-Asian food in Austin and nothing is more than $8. Foreign & Domestic on North Loop has wonderful locavore food at very reasonable prices as does Olivia on South Lamar at less reasonable prices, and there are many great al fresco dining options if the weather is good - some of my favorite patios would include El Arbol off W.35th street - great Argentine food and cheap and delicious caipirinhas and mojitos and the hottest cougar spot in town, Red House on Manor Road - only pizza but good drinks and great people watching. Justine's way east on 5th has respectable bistro food and a great courtyard with a bacci ball court. If you want to spend money on excellent food, I would add Uchi - Texas-Japanese fusion - on South Lamar, and Jeffrey's on West Lynn - continental/Southwestern hybrid with legendary fried oysters. Check out Austin360.com and austinchowhound.com for more info. There is some extraordinary food and drink and general hedonism to be found in Austin. Happy Travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin