Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 05:11 PM

10 posts, read 18,978 times

Advertisements

The kids are out of elementary school in a few weeks and I'd like to load up the van and hit the road for a month. Austin is at the top of the list of places I'd like to visit. We are coming from the Rocky Mountains and I want the family to experience something new and feel some real heat.

Can you tell me what part of the county you would base your operation? We'd love a nice campground with a pool, or a motel with a pool or a little vacation rental if you know of one.

The only thing that wouldn't appeal to me on a trip like this is suburbia. Something that represents the unique vibe of Texas hill country would be excellent.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 05:15 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Go to Leaky Texas!

Old 05-22-2012, 05:47 PM

Sounds interesting, but a bit removed from Travis CO.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:57 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Visit Enchanted Rock near Fredericksburg. Get there early in the morning or you won't get in. Hike Enchanted Rock, the 2nd largest granite dome in the US (#1 is in Georgia). Hike back down, have lunch and shop in Fredericksburg. Probably campgrounds nearby too.

Of course spend some time on Lake Travis. Rent a boat or jetskis.

Eat some barbecue (beef brisket).

Old 05-22-2012, 06:23 PM

I put it on the list. Thanks hoffdano.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendkcone View Post
Sounds interesting, but a bit removed from Travis CO.
Honestly, I don't really consider Travis County to be part of the Hill Country and you didn't sound like you wanted a more urban experience!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:58 PM

Ok, I got you. That helps me understand the area a bit. I've wanted to see the city and surrounding lakes and towns for a long time. I figured it was in the middle of hill country, but it's on the border I see.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:30 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
IF you want to stay at a nice RV park in the Hill Country in Travis CO stay at La Hacienda. Thats a nice rv park. Fredericksburg has a number of rv/campgrounds and the KOA on 1376 and 290 is nice with cabins. Also in Hunt Texas, really Hill Country you will find a number of mom and pop cottages along the river fun to go to for a night or so. I know the area so DM me if you need some help

Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 PM

53 posts, read 116,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendkcone View Post
The kids are out of elementary school in a few weeks and I'd like to load up the van and hit the road for a month. Austin is at the top of the list of places I'd like to visit. We are coming from the Rocky Mountains and I want the family to experience something new and feel some real heat.

Can you tell me what part of the county you would base your operation? We'd love a nice campground with a pool, or a motel with a pool or a little vacation rental if you know of one.

The only thing that wouldn't appeal to me on a trip like this is suburbia. Something that represents the unique vibe of Texas hill country would be excellent.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Why are are going against the traffic?

I would suggest you visit water parks here. Other than water sports, don't know much to do here in the heat.

Don't get me wrong, I walk on the trails after lunch even in summer. But that is not out of my choice.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
New Braunfels has several campgrounds along the Guadalupe River plus your close to both Austin and San Antonio.

New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce

Guadalupe River Official Website | Tubing, Camping, & Activities

Welcome to Schlitterbahn New Braunfels | Schlitterbahn New Braunfels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin