Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,459 times

Advertisements

I am a SPED teacher looking for a new life in a city where there is a fantastic music and fabulous restaurants. I am seriously considering Austin or Dallas. I want to live downtown and be able to walk to restraunts and night life. As I have no clue about area, what can I expect the cost for a nice 2 bed 2 bath condo to be? I have looked on realtor.com and 6th street looks like it offers what I want. Other areas anyone thinks I should check out. Visiting the city at the end of August.
Also, what are SPED job prospects in the school district - if there are any teachers out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 06:08 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
I have a friend that just moved into a downtown apartment 1/1+study (700 sq ft) and it's $1400/month.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:04 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
Basically I'd secure employment before moving here. Theres a $21 billion dollar budget shortfall and they're going to find a way to cut education also.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:18 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I am not a teacher, but from what I hear special ed teachers seem to always be in demand.

I doubt you really want to spend too much time on 6th street. It is a popular entertainment area, but other areas are more refined and have the higher quality clubs and restaurants. 6th is more popular with the college and post-college groups.

Yes there is a state budget shortfall. The number Orbius lists is a two-year number (the Texas budget is two years). The majority of funding for education comes from local sources, not the state. Education funding is under pressure, like most budgets, but it may be more promising than some areas. You will be competing with many for the teaching openings.

For the OP - your post says visiting at the end of August. It is mid-September. Are you visiting NEXT August?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:10 PM

101 posts, read 218,965 times
a friend of mine is a teacher with a good job but she said that the competion is very intense right now for the best jobs. the private schools are still hiring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin