Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:58 AM

92 posts, read 308,868 times

Advertisements

Basically my choice comes down to how easy it is to form a new community in Austin, and which might be a better place to meet a nice cute girl. Tough choice!

Awhile ago on Oprah they talked about Austin is one of the best cities for dating but I couldn't find any articles about it on her website. However, I found this link:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed, not sure how accurate it is. But one thing I know for sure,is, people in Austin are pretty laid back and very friendly......and yes, it can get REALLY hot here in the summer, something to keep in mind.

Last edited by Yac; 02-16-2011 at 05:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 11:42 AM

313 posts, read 786,939 times
I used to live in DC and live here now.

-I've been married my whole time in Austin, so I can't comment on accesibility, but the women here are better looking -its not your imagination. We used to make fun of how ugly DC women were in my single days.
-Singles social scene post 30 isn't as strong here as DC, but its improving as the city grows
-DC has a lot more to do, its just a bigger, denser city. I was there for a trip recently and I kind of missed it.
-If you've ever seen the book or website "Stuff White People Like", that would sum up Austin culture. Its the least diverse city I've ever lived in.
-Downtown Austin isn't cheap. That was my first shocker moving here. Sure, you can buy a home in the north suburbs for 200k, but if you want to move downtown, rents aren't THAT much cheaper than DC and a car is pretty much required here vs DC where it isn't
-On the flip side, Austin suburbs ARE far cheaper than DC suburbs, for when you settle down. Public schools here are also very good, which is not common in Texas.
-No income tax in Texas, if you are renting, that works out well (property taxes are high).

Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,377,816 times
Here is how I see it:

-DC has more women than men, BUT, just as Pickles said, the dating scene there is very strange. I know several people who live there. There may be more women, but a lot of them are there for their career, working for a government agency, etc. Or, they are bureaucratic policy wonks that are just not interested in dating at all. To them, their job is all about "making a difference" (whatever that means), they work all day at their job as a govt attorney, and their idea of 'fun' is to go home and read government policy papers. That demographic, as a set, seems to not be interested in any type of relationship (either sexual or long-term). THEN, you have another demographic, which is somewhat similar to the gold-digger types you see in Dallas or NYC, but these girls are only interested in dating high-powered lobbyists or congressmen types. These girls actively work what is known as the "DC cocktail circuit", hoping to meet well-connected government/lobbyist types.

In Austin, when I am there, my perception was that there were way more men than women. I also think that because it is more of a driving city, so this makes it harder to meet women. I think that it is easier to met women in walkable neighborhoods - the reason is because dating is primarily a numbers game, and in order to meet someone that fits what you are looking for, you have to have access to a larger group of women. This is easier in walkable areas where the young single professional types live at. I walk out my apartment here in chicago, and i will walk past 3 or 4 single women on the way to the coffee shop, whereas out in the suburban shopping-mall big-box world, you are sort of isolated and surrounded by families. But I do think that if you are a guy with a lot to offer, then you will eventually have success in meeting a girl in Austin.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:40 PM

339 posts, read 837,420 times
Don't come to DC. You'll feel like you're over the hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Here is how I see it:

-DC has more women than men, BUT, just as Pickles said, the dating scene there is very strange. I know several people who live there. There may be more women, but a lot of them are there for their career, working for a government agency, etc. Or, they are bureaucratic policy wonks that are just not interested in dating at all. To them, their job is all about "making a difference" (whatever that means), they work all day at their job as a govt attorney, and their idea of 'fun' is to go home and read government policy papers. That demographic, as a set, seems to not be interested in any type of relationship (either sexual or long-term).
Cosign. That's why when you go out to a bar or club in the city its always a SAUSAGEFEST. And yes the few women who are there are typically ugly.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:32 PM

9 posts, read 20,050 times
Hey everyone thank you so much for the advice! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. I'm definitely into nature moreso than museums or restaurants (I've sort of been around that scene for a while now) so I'm fine with going down a notch culturally in exchange for some swimming and hiking.

I am getting these takeaways so far 1) Austin is very open to people generally and its not transient so people stick around and form friendships, 2) Its easy to meet people, 3) Race doesn't seem to be an issue at all, 4) the women situation is 50/50 with people saying there are beautiful girls (moreso than DC) but others mentioning that the ratio might not be the best (I'd love more thoughts on this).

One last question as well. I actually love the "small town" vibe where you run into people you know all the time. Is the downtown scene small enough that this happens? I know DC can actually be this small which I do like (particularly in certain parts of town). After a while are you likely to know people when you go out? It would be nice to have some sort of comfort level in that way, particularly when coming to a new city.

Thanks again for the help! John.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:54 PM

349 posts, read 992,127 times
I haven't been to Austin so I'll comment DC which is where I live.

DC is a cosmopolitan center with great diversity and lots to do, the people aren't friendly, but on the other hand they're intelligent, which (for me) makes up for the lack of friendliness. The transient nature of the town ensures that you're not stuck with a particular crowd, there's a constant traffic of people.

On the issue of dating/women I have to agree with 'gilgamesh8' and 'SmartGXL' that the dating scene in DC is currently tough for men. Every bar/club is a sausage fest right now, and it's the same online. DC used to be known for having lots of single women and that was indeed the case 5 years ago. That's not the case anymore, as the demographics of this place have shifted for some reason after the recession. There are still single women of course, just not the same abundance as before.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:51 PM

71 posts, read 146,623 times
I think Austin has more of a small town vibe (in Austin now, used to be in DC)

People just talk to you more, friendlier. We tend to go to the same places and people really do remember you.

Austin can be pretty expensive downtown, but still seems much cheaper than DC at least for me. I live about 5 miles from downtown and can walk to a few wine bars, brew pub, bakery and really like it, but we can and do still get downtown quite a bit. I lived in Clarendon (Arlington right outside DC) and the rent was hundreds more a month more there than here. Both are old small houses. The house in Clarendon did have a nicer yard, but wasn't in the best of shape.

Generally I am just a lot more comfortable in Austin, I like going out bars/restaurants more here. I like all the local restaurants.

Best of Luck to you in your decision!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:04 PM

648 posts, read 1,965,953 times
I've lived in Austin and DC. DC is far prettier. Love the 4 seasons. I miss that. Real beaches are a drive away.

Austin is a nice place.

Go where your career opportunity is the best.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:24 PM

123 posts, read 301,042 times
DC rocks! Let me just put that out there for the record. It has EVERYTHING you could ever want in a city. Everything! I travel for a living and have been to many many many cities and DC is one of my favs hands down. Also keep in mind that I have lived in Dallas,San Antonio,and Houston. I am originally from NJ. I love TX. It's just something about the state of TX that is VERY appealing to me. I think its the friendly people,nightlife,food,and quality of life there. I am moving back to San Antonio in june...I was suppose to relocate to Atlanta(I lived there previously for 2yrs)...I think TX would be my better choice. I am here in NJ at the present and have vowed never to live here again. The winter sucks. I forgot how bad it sucks lol. Taxes are high,cost of living is thru the roof,car insurance is crazy high etc. I still love NJ lol after all its home but its just not for me anymore. I was suppose to take a job in VA right outside of DC but the cost of living was way too high I said forget it. If your going to be making 6 figures and don't mind the cold weather then go for DC. However if you want to get your money worth,want to live comfortable,enjoy great weather,friendly people,great food,and fun nightlife...hands down Austin is your place. Your money will go much further in Texas...trust me on that. Anyway good luck!

Old 01-23-2011, 06:10 PM

21 posts, read 35,658 times
DC, because if you wanna run into people you know, you should live in a populated area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin