Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:57 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,376,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
Don't come to DC. You'll feel like you're over the hill.

Cosign. That's why when you go out to a bar or club in the city its always a SAUSAGEFEST. And yes the few women who are there are typically ugly.
I told me female co-worker about the 'sausage fest' comments about Austin and all she said was "mmmmm, sausage'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 01:52 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Regarding dating, keep in mind that DC has a much higher HIV prevalence than Austin. Look up the numbers, and you won't ever want to date in DC.

For gay males it's even worse. Average nationwide HIV prevalence among gays males is 20%. In DC it's even higher-- I think something like 30-40%.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:11 PM

518 posts, read 1,053,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Regarding dating, keep in mind that DC has a much higher HIV prevalence than Austin. Look up the numbers, and you won't ever want to date in DC.

For gay males it's even worse. Average nationwide HIV prevalence among gays males is 20%. In DC it's even higher-- I think something like 30-40%.
Cmon...I'm curious where you got those #s. I can't imagine HIV is anywhere near that high in the US. Maybe I am ignorant. OTher STD's maybe.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:49 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
Cmon...I'm curious where you got those #s. I can't imagine HIV is anywhere near that high in the US. Maybe I am ignorant. OTher STD's maybe.
3% in DC are known to have HIV and the actual number is higher because many people are undiagnosed. Think about that... out of every 33 people you see in DC, at least 1 has HIV. A study that came out a few weeks ago found that 20% of gay men have HIV and half of them don't know it. So if we extrapolate that to the DC rate, 6% of DC residents has HIV. 1 out of every 16. That is far far worse than even an epidemic.

At Least 3 Percent of D.C. Residents Have HIV or AIDS, City Study Finds; Rate Up 22% From 2006

"Our rates are higher than West Africa," said Shannon L. Hader, director of the District's HIV/AIDS Administration, who once led the Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's work in Zimbabwe. "They're on par with Uganda and some parts of Kenya.

Austin is about half as bad as DC according to these numbers. http://www.avert.org/usa-states-cities.htm
Still bad, still an epidemic, but not up to West African standards.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 01-24-2011 at 03:04 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 AM

44 posts, read 81,992 times
I have to agree with the people that stated that it is really what you are looking for right now at this point in your life. And, you can always move in a year or two if it doesn't feel right!

I am born and raised in Austin, moved to DC for 8 years and loved it. But, then I really had to ask myself where did I want to buy a house and settle in... I chose to come back to Austin. Being close to family played a big part in that decision to move back.

If you are in a transition stage and still enjoy that big city energy and culture, pick DC. And, I would suggest living in DC. I lived in Georgetown, Adams Morgan and Dupont and lived the city life. I lived in small studios and group houses. Choice of lifestyle ....

Are you at a point where you want to buy? if so, then Austin is definitely more affordable and it is a great time to buy. But, then again, living downtown in a high rise in Austin is a fun thing too!

In my opinion, visit Austin and just walk around and see how it feels for a couple of days. Hopefully, you will know by the end of your trip!.

Good luck with your decision! If you do decide on Austin, and have any other questions on where to live, let me know!

Cheers,
Sue
suelovesaustin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin