Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 5,009 times

Advertisements

I know 78741 has a high crime rate compared to other parts of Austin, but I am curious about within the zip code how the different neighborhoods compare. Basically, are there concentrated areas in 78741 that make up a majority of the crime? For instance, how are the following areas?

Parker Lane (South of Oltorf, North of 71)
Riverside (North of Oltorf, West of Pleasant Valley Rd)
Pleasant Valley (East of Pleasant Valley Rd)
Montropolis

Of course, if I think about renting or buying anywhere in those areas, I will check it out for myself beforehand, but would like a little input from the board if possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 08:07 AM

247 posts, read 559,493 times
All pretty bad..

Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,126,008 times
I think the key question is "compared to what?" Austin in general has a pretty low crime rate but all of those areas listed have higher crime rates, particularly property crime. You would have to look carefully at crime stats but I would guess that most of the crime happens in apartment complexes and duplexes. There are pockets of single family homes in that zip that are pretty hidden away and probably have less crime. I live near all those areas and are often in them for work too. I always feel safe in the daytime. Not sure I would buy a house in any of those areas except for Montopolis which is beginning to gentrify and is a solid working class neighborhood. If I was searching a place that will appreciate over the next 20 years, Montopolis would be near the top of the list.

The pocket of single family homes off that stretch of Parker are probably ripe for re-habing too, so close to downtown and the airport, but it has not happened yet. And there are no signs that it is going to start any time soon. I would not buy property in any of the areas listed unless I could afford to lose my investment. Close in East Austin from the river to 51st would be a better bet. But if I was gambler and had had money to risk (and it would be a risk and the payoff would be far off), then maybe.

But spend time, lots of time, in the area first. Do not buy anything in that zip sight unseen.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,028,837 times
There are some expensive pockets along E. Riverside. Generally the close to I-35 you are (and by extension, Travis Heights) the better off you will be. The proximity to downtown and the terrrain offer good views that some will pay good money to have.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,028,837 times
Another benefit of this zip code - it's served by Cars2Go. I know it sounds trivial, but this is one of only a handful of zips where one can live without owning a car. Throw in the specter of $5 gas, the plans for future light rail between downtown and ABIA via 78741, other plans for SE Austin in the works, and the outlook for this part of town looks promising. I would not be surprised if in 10-15 years, the property values in 78741 are close to those in 78704.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin