Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,973,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I'm still waiting for the Round Rock Torchy's to open.
Trust me on this, don't go to Torchy's. Find yourself a little taco truck. Twice as many tacos for the same price that are just as good.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:41 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,918 times
I think Torchy's is quite tasty, and you're comparing apples and oranges. Torchy's is delivering a different product (creative fillings) than your typical taco truck (traditional fillings).

I ate at Spicewood Tavern last night during Happy Hour. The salad I got was pretty good, but nothing extraordinary. The drinks were excellent and a good deal at $5.

I'm on the search for a new burger joint on the NW/CP side. Moonie's is ok, but the bacon I got at the Anderson Mill location was terrible. It had to be the cheapest bacon they could find and wasn't cooked very well. I'm surprised P. Terry's hasn't expanded out to CP yet, though they are coming to Parmer/MoPac.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,576,586 times
I agree that Torchy's is good and worth the extra $1 per taco for the quality of their meat. I'm looking forward to the one opening on 1431 across from 1890 Ranch.

I've heard issues with the newer Moonie's locations, but still haven't had any issues with the original one on 183.

Calel, have you made it over to one of the Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers locations yet (there's one in 1890 Ranch)? I've found it to be very similar to P. Terry's even though it's a larger chain. I actually like it better than P. Terry's, but I had an unfortunate "piece of gristle" experience at the P. Terry's on Barton Springs that I haven't overcome yet so I completely understand the bacon issue at Moonie's.

I also hate the fact that I found a hair in a slice of Niki's pizza there on 183 as I really think it was just a fluke, but I just can't bring myself to go there again.

While I would prefer to stay local, I have no problem driving for a good burger. I try to make it down to Cuatro's on 24th for a good $9 bacon cheeseburger every few months.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,918 times
Freddy's is pretty good, though the last two times I went they way overseasoned the meat. That was the 1890 location, but there's a new one on 620 in the Trails development that I should give a try.

I used to love the burger at Silver Grill Cafe on Parmer, but they recently changed it and it's not as good. Silver Grill is a J&J's expansion under new ownership, so I should probably go check out the original J&J's and see if their burger is anything like Silver Grill's prior version.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
It is funny, the last 'good' (non-fast food) burger I had was at 5 Guy's, and the reason we went there is because my 3.5 year old loves the peanuts. The burgers are not bad at all, but I am not really 'allowed' to go to another burger place that doesn't have peanuts.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:41 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
Freddy's is pretty good, though the last two times I went they way overseasoned the meat. That was the 1890 location, but there's a new one on 620 in the Trails development that I should give a try.

I used to love the burger at Silver Grill Cafe on Parmer, but they recently changed it and it's not as good. Silver Grill is a J&J's expansion under new ownership, so I should probably go check out the original J&J's and see if their burger is anything like Silver Grill's prior version.
We were at Freddie's just yesterday! Same experience with overseasoning(salt being the worst offending component of their special 'dust'). I had the Patty Melt, probably only the third or fourth in my life. Tasted great; but between the extra fat of the melt and the way extra seasoning on the fries, it's a good thing I had Tilapia and veggies for dinner! I was going to mention the seasoning to the very nice manager-fellow; but there was a line forming big-time when we were on our way out. Big Mothers' Day lunch location, I reckon!

We arrived just in time to see the switchover at Silver Grill a few years ago. We weren't impressed with J&J's BBQ sandwich and never tried their burger. Silver Grill is trying to offer a legit lunch menu as well as the burger fare. It's nice to be able to enjoy some recognizable veggies as sides with lunch(not just a casserole or potato salad-type fixin's ). Their lunch specials are very reasonably priced.

Oddly, I've heard the burger at Surf & Turf on 1431 is very good. Haven't tried that place or the new Blue Corn Harvest on 1431; but neighbors have given positive reviews for both.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:15 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,887,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
I think Torchy's is quite tasty, and you're comparing apples and oranges. Torchy's is delivering a different product (creative fillings) than your typical taco truck (traditional fillings).
This.

They are 2 different things. It's like comparing a taco truck to Wahoo's fish tacos. The fact that they share the word "taco" in the title is about the extent of the similarities.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:32 PM

6 posts, read 5,181 times
Went to Hoa Hoa's for Lunch today. We found the food to be great, it was just the kind of Chinese food we are used to having up North. Not too fancy, but great for a quick in and out lunch or dinner. Poked our head in the pizza place next door and it didn't seem too appealing, almost like a Little Ceasars pizza...Gross!

Old 05-13-2013, 03:27 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
A weekend ago I ate at La Condesa downtown next to Moody Theater. I'd say it strives to be inventive, hop, Mexican food.

And it is tasty. But in my experience it has the same indifferent aloof service that other hip and cool places have. It is almost as if it would be uncool to have good friendly service. My comments are mostly related to the hostesses - who seemed completely unmotivated to fill empty tables unless they bothered to ask "how much longer until a table is available (when there were at least 5 available). As soon as I asked they said "oh it is ready just close your tab at the bar."

Old 05-13-2013, 03:40 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
And it IS the same Tony C's as the one in the Hill Country Galleria from what I can see on their website. I ate at that location a couple years ago and it was really good, but definitely more of an upscale atmosphere and not a typical "pizza place". I guess we'll see if the Avery Ranch location is similar.
Tony C's and The League have common ownership. Tony is Tony Ciola, whose family owned the now closed Ciola's in Lakeway, which is now the location of The League. You'll love The League. Think sports bar with better food, ala Cover 2 and 3. But an even enter family vibe than those two.

Was up north today at lunch, so I went to Dart Bowl. If they had yellow gravy on their CFS, I'd swear I was in the sorely missed Stallion. Melt in your mouth CFS, real mashed potatoes, 2X salad and tea for $7.25. If you haven't gone, you are missing an Austin icon - and there aren't many left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin