Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I don't understand transplants who do this. It sounds like you came with preconceived notions of Texas and never let these go. I don't think Austin is racist, but to imply the rest of the state is (Houston?? Dallas?) is absurd and false. Austin isn't green enough for you, then you say the rest of Texas is even more a wasteland? Obviously you've never set foot near east Texas. You think The Woodlands (Houston suburb) name is just a joke someone made up? The Piney Woods? Texas is ignorant to other cultures? Central Houston probably has more cultures than Denver plus several other cities combined. And Austin feels like a desert even before the drought? That's a first.
The odd thing is the OP came from Denver which is always much browner than Austin. Everytime I land at DIA I am amazed at how brown the landscape is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 04:40 PM

4 posts, read 7,200 times
I don't mind the summer heat, and I don't regret having tried living here (even if I most likely won't stay for much longer). There are however a few aspects of this town that I find a bit silly.

I don't know why, for instance, everyone here is so eager to explain how diverse it is - or more importantly - why they are so offended when you disagree.

There is also a political self righteousness about this place. Pickup trucks and SUVs with moralizing bumper stickers about the environment; militant bicyclists who seem to believe they can revolutionize society by endangering themselves and everyone around them in traffic, etc.

Austin has some nice qualities (even if diversity isn't one of them). It would probably be even nicer if its citizens only didn't insist so hard that they are for a fact the intellectual elite of this country. It takes more than just voting against whatever the majority is (or getting a tattoo), you know.

If you have not yet seen the show "Portlandia" I strongly suggest that you do before moving to Austin. It's a fantastic show, and it applies to Austin just as much as Portland. Ordering an organic chicken sandwich is a serious ethical decision and everything must be recycled.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:11 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
I don't know about Denver, but you have to admit that even in the best (i.e. non-drought) years, Austin is hardly lush.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:23 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I don't know about Denver, but you have to admit that even in the best (i.e. non-drought) years, Austin is hardly lush.
I was driving around town yesterday and I couldn't believe how green the grass is right now. How many parts of the country have lush green grass in January? No, our grass isn't lush and green in August but it is right now.

If you look at any place in the Northeast or the Midwest or most of the South right now, the grass is mostly brown in January. Come summer the reverse will be true. It's all about tradeoffs for the most part.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:38 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy81 View Post
I don't mind the summer heat, and I don't regret having tried living here (even if I most likely won't stay for much longer). There are however a few aspects of this town that I find a bit silly.

I don't know why, for instance, everyone here is so eager to explain how diverse it is - or more importantly - why they are so offended when you disagree.

There is also a political self righteousness about this place. Pickup trucks and SUVs with moralizing bumper stickers about the environment; militant bicyclists who seem to believe they can revolutionize society by endangering themselves and everyone around them in traffic, etc.

Austin has some nice qualities (even if diversity isn't one of them). It would probably be even nicer if its citizens only didn't insist so hard that they are for a fact the intellectual elite of this country. It takes more than just voting against whatever the majority is (or getting a tattoo), you know.

If you have not yet seen the show "Portlandia" I strongly suggest that you do before moving to Austin. It's a fantastic show, and it applies to Austin just as much as Portland. Ordering an organic chicken sandwich is a serious ethical decision and everything must be recycled.
I don't watch TV nor do I need it to tell me something. However, for the most part I agree with you. The question is, is it bad or good? So, would you rather live in a redneck infested place where gasoline burns all night and day, folks are multiplying like rabbits, ATVs are running late into the night right next to your house, gunshots everywhere etc. etc. 'cause you know, you can have that in this country too....

Even if someone pretends they are green, spiritual, organic, whatever - at least they are headed in the right direction. I find Austin in general to be overpriced in terms of land surrounding it (ever been to Santa Fe, NM or Taos, NM?), the traffic is horrendous, too many homeless crazies in downtown, but that's about all my problems with it and i am willing to live with those since a) I can rent, I don't have to buy, b) traffic I can't change but I can choose to go to work early and leave early and c) so long as the homeless folks don't touch me or pester me all is good.... On the upside Austin is a vibrant place for quite a few fields, there are big businesses, small businesses, entrepreneurs, poor people, rich people, it tries its best to be green, organic and cool, tons of stuff to do from festivals, outdoors fun, indoors fun, Hill country is near, San Antonio is near, you are within an hour between a modern concert and an old-school rodeo... something for everyone....

Houston for example is a big place, you can find anything BUT to me it is a huge pile of concrete and asphalt that gets hot and humid for most of the year, it gets unsafe in quite a few parts of the town, it is too spread out, typical American modern city. At least Austin is old and remains old in its core...

I've been to Denver too, it was a nice place, seemed like a lot of fit people live in it, everyone was outside running, biking, whatever - they are close to parks etc. so it looked like a very nice town to live in.

OD

Last edited by ognend; 02-01-2012 at 07:54 AM..

Old 02-01-2012, 07:41 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I was driving around town yesterday and I couldn't believe how green the grass is right now. How many parts of the country have lush green grass in January? No, our grass isn't lush and green in August but it is right now.

If you look at any place in the Northeast or the Midwest or most of the South right now, the grass is mostly brown in January. Come summer the reverse will be true. It's all about tradeoffs for the most part.
Sometimes, but not this winter. It's been so warm and we've had so much rain in the Northeast that the grass has been very green so far. I do agree about the tradeoffs in most respects though.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

A lot of areas are green because they are watered. And sort of green is not the same as deep, thick, carpets of green grass everywhere - even the fields along the road that are never watered or fertilized. I drove through the Hill Country last week and it still looked pretty damn brown.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times
Green is relative. I moved from Austin to Albuquerque, NM. I love the view of the mountains out my window now, but I miss those live oaks and woods behind my house in Austin. I miss looking out my back window at the deer cavorting in the woods behind my house in the city. I miss the trails in my neighborhood, filled with green trees--even some in the winter. I felt like I was in the country, and I was right in the city. I loved driving to Town Lake and Barton Springs trail to hike as well.

Here in New Mexico there is breathtaking beauty, but not so much greenery. I lived most of my life in Wisconsin. In the summer it beats Austin for green, but right now, Wisconsin is gray and dead.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Green is relative. I moved from Austin to Albuquerque, NM. I love the view of the mountains out my window now, but I miss those live oaks and woods behind my house in Austin. I miss looking out my back window at the deer cavorting in the woods behind my house in the city. I miss the trails in my neighborhood, filled with green trees--even some in the winter. I felt like I was in the country, and I was right in the city. I loved driving to Town Lake and Barton Springs trail to hike as well.

Here in New Mexico there is breathtaking beauty, but not so much greenery. I lived most of my life in Wisconsin. In the summer it beats Austin for green, but right now, Wisconsin is gray and dead.
For more green in NM go to Quemado (Catron county) or Silver City and Gila forest surrounding it.

OD

Old 02-04-2012, 08:55 AM

11 posts, read 20,672 times
We visited Austin a little while back and stayed in the NW part. We are considering a move from California and are looking at the Austin area and also some suburbs of Denver. Contrary to what another poster said, I didnt see one green lawn in Texas. It seems like the schools in Austin are top-notch but the property taxes are insane. A positive for Austin is that groceries are way less expensive in Austin than California. But, and Austin natives may make fun of this but I freaked out when I heard about the tarantulas and giant centipedes and scorpions that people find IN their homes. I don't know about you but if a centipede is big enoigh and badass enough to take on a snake AND WIN, I don't want any part of it.

The trees were pretty but I was surprised at how unattractive Lake Travis was, which I realize is mainly because it is so low. I am spoiled in So. Cal and I know I can't duplicate what I have here but I had heard Austin was "awesome" and I didn't quite see it that way. Science-fiction type bugs, crazy heat, dust storms, high allergy risk, relatively flat topography (for "hill" country)-- I don't see the allure. Maybe if I was younger and wanted to live downtown I'd feel different. But I'm a mom looking for a tight-knit community that is pretty and has a lot to do. Yes, we could get an amazing house for 500k, but the property taxes are ridiculous. (yes, I know, no state income tax). I do like that a large part of the taxes went directly to the community and schools where you live.

We remain unsure if we will move to Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin