Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:06 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,778,959 times

Advertisements

same parent types who drive their high school kids to the front of the subdivision and wait with them for the bus to pick them up. there's about 10-15 of these parents in our subdivision alone... its pathetic...

Austin Steve... tl;dr...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post

I imagine that most of the parents out on 620 were running the worst case in their minds: their child is wounded, if so, being on the scene might mean being able to ride in the ambulance and help with care immediately. Realistic or not, I do not fault them.
if thats the case, someone should call CPS... not really but damn it's stupid!

Old 12-11-2011, 01:10 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,712,621 times
I'm beginning to wonder if Gorfml is involved in his children's lives in any form whatsoever. I work with kids and even though most parents don't do this, there are a few who spend as little time as possible with their children. There are some who are almost over involved, but by that I mean their expectations at certain things are sometimes way too high for the age the kid is (which is off topic, so I'll stop there).

Old 12-11-2011, 01:34 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,445,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
hmm, well I had all the information I needed from my home via text messages. I felt no need to go sit out on 620 for the possibility of an inside scoop...

it's helicoptering...plain and simple...
And many parents got texts from their kids saying that they heard there were shots fired at the school, which is how that info made it to the news and web. Good for you that you got accurate information. Not everyone did.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:09 PM

if shots would have been fired, hanging out by the school would have increased the likelihood of somone getting hurt.

what ya gonna do helicopters? pull a captain America parent and run into the lockdown school taking bullets for your kids? no you would getting in the way, prolly panick and get run over...

Old 12-11-2011, 02:24 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,205,294 times
FWIW - I asked my daughter last night about the whole incident (she was out of town for a sports event). She said the principal was obviously concerned and a bit anxious. But not freaked out. The kids' in her class, initially assumed it was a drill of some kind because the PA announcement was not the normal one made during 2nd period. The prinicipal's tone made it clear this was not normal, so the kids paid attention. The teacher immediately put the kids in the corner of the room on the same wall as the door (to prevent someone from outside the room seeing who was in the room.

They were in the room for three hours. No one was allowed outside the classroom. The teacher eventually taped paper over the door window to prevent anyone seeing in. Some kids phones were in their backpacks so this let them leave the corner to get their phones.

As for helicopter parents - Parents parked outside waiting for their kids to leave the school safely aren't helicopter parents in my view. We didn't go there - because we knew our daughter was safe, and we didn't think being there helped anything. But our daughter is also a 12th grader and we might feel different with a 9th grader.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:46 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,539,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
My apologies. The excessive histrionics induced an unfounded and sexist assumption on my part that you're female. I do apologize.
I'd rep you but I have to "spread the love". LOL

Old 12-11-2011, 05:50 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,066,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if Gorfml is involved in his children's lives in any form whatsoever. I work with kids and even though most parents don't do this, there are a few who spend as little time as possible with their children. There are some who are almost over involved, but by that I mean their expectations at certain things are sometimes way too high for the age the kid is (which is off topic, so I'll stop there).
I'm beginning to wonder if Gorfml has children in any form whatsoever. I'm starting to suspect that he is just trying to yank people's chains.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:19 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,788,603 times
Quote:
if shots would have been fired, hanging out by the school would have increased the likelihood of somone getting hurt.

what ya gonna do helicopters? pull a captain America parent and run into the lockdown school taking bullets for your kids? no you would getting in the way, prolly panick and get run over...
Based on Gorf's & Hoffdano's comments, i agree with Gorf.

The Principal wasn't professional (& didn't help the situation) and the parents who went down there are helicopters (& didn't help the situation)

Old 12-11-2011, 07:20 PM

662 posts, read 1,452,000 times
Quote:
same parent types who drive their high school kids to the front of the subdivision and wait with them for the bus to pick them up. there's about 10-15 of these parents in our subdivision alone... its pathetic...

Austin Steve... tl;dr...
I'm not sure what I'd do if there were a lock-down and my kid was in the school. I'd be worried sick for sure.

I do agree with Gorfml about this bus thing. My kids took the bus every day to Murchison Middle School in Austin last year. There were several people in my neighborhood who shlepped down a very congested Mopac just to take their kids to school. I'm not talking about people who were going to work anyway, but stay-at-home moms. When i asked why, they said their kids "didn't like the bus" or that they "worried" about them taking the bus.

So we just waste an enormous amount of gas and time? This is crazy and definitely helicopter parenting.

But back to the original topic. I'd be very worried, and I think I would drive down there and probably make things worse with all of the traffic around the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: